• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sig Op hopefuls out there

Armoured Signaller said:
RMC: Fair enough there, man.  Good luck in the recruiting/selection process.  If you get posted to Kingston, you'll no doubt run into one of my bretheren, MCpl Homer.  Good guy.

Armoured Signaller said:
RMC: Fair enough there, man.  Good luck in the recruiting/selection process.  If you get posted to Kingston, you'll no doubt run into one of my bretheren, MCpl Homer.  Good guy.

2 Sigs got a Sgt by that name from the regiment recently. Any chance the "good guy" got promoted and posted?  ;D

We got our posting preferences this week, Edmonton, Shilo, Winnipeg, Borden, Petawawa. Needless to say I put down Edmonton, Shilo, and Winnipeg. 15 out of 21 are going to Pet, it seems as though for the next few courses thats where the lionshare of sigs go.

Armoured Signaller said:

Obviously, you have failed to keep in contact with him for at least a year and a half as Homer was promoted a Jan 05 and posted to Pet Jul 06 as Cnd Sig makes reference to.  The good guy is correct though.

Cnd Sig, You prepping to go to the big sandbox?

Radop said:
Obviously, you have failed to keep in contact with him for at least a year and a half as Homer was promoted a Jan 05 and posted to Pet Jul 06 as Cnd Sig makes reference to.  The good guy is correct though.

Cnd Sig, You prepping to go to the big sandbox?
Nah, I keep volunteering and they keep sending the new kids...lol

Hey,

I start my BMQ on Aug 7 and my trade selection is Sig Ops.

So I'm guessing I'll be going to Kingston after, where my father was as well. Unfortunatly, in different circumstances. He graduated from RMC, I'm still going for a hook to hang from.

Took Signals after I was denied Combat Engineer because me eyes failed me.

I do my swearing in at Missasauga on July 19th.

After BMQ, you will goto PRETC in CFB Borden, than be sent off sometime during your stay there to do SQ in Meaford(most likely), do your driver wheel sometime after than wait there till your QL3 in Kingston starts.

Silly me,

should have read that pamphlet a bit more carefully  :)

Interesting to note they updated the SigOp video on the recruiting website since the last time I looked.

I myself am a Sig Op hopeful:) I was Infantry but I chose Sig Op instead it sounds very interesting! plus my girlfriends dad is a Sig Op and from what he can tell me the job sounds very fufilling. I just reapplied I mailed out my apps yesterday so I should hear from the Ottawa CFRC soon i hope well good luck to all playing the waiting game with me. :salute:

Futuretrooper said:
Yeah they really "sexified" the trade on that video.

I noted how flashy it was compared to the old one I saw in December when I handed in my application.  :bullet:

One step closer to being a Sig op....i passed all my pre enrollemtn tests...now i play the waiting game.....oh joy :(

i couldn't help but notice your name, "rmc wanna be", does this mean you're going to RMC?  or will you be joining us lowly non com types at the top of the hill in Kingston?

Mojo Magnum said:
i couldn't help but notice your name, "rmc wanna be", does this mean you're going to RMC?  or will you be joining us lowly non com types at the top of the hill in Kingston?

Don't let the name fool you... its a tad bit outdated  ;D

Bit of an update...i've been offered a Sig Op position...getting sworn in on the 16th and its off to BMQ on the 18th.

lowly NCMs? not so lowly in my eyes...NCMs are the ones on the top of the hill ;)

How long has it taken for most of you to get a call back? I'm planning to apply right on my 16th birthday to the Reserve Force for SigOp. Nice to talk to some people who are already in the trade and know what's it requires. But for all these courses required, like the BMQ, SQ, and the QL3....do they do these courses during the summer too? Can't afford to miss school.

Armoured Signaller said:
     And yes, for the record, I am a SigOp, formally RTOP; supposedly RadTech in for 14 years and a bit.  I tell you, if you want challenge where you will always be learning, this is the place to be in my opinion.

V.V.V.

Yeah, if you like working your ass off, bending over backwards to please everyon, taking all your self aquired knowledge about the "greatest comms system in the world" so that you can improvise due to kit shortages and equipment glitches and not being recognized for any of the previously mentioned... Be a sig op...  oh and what can you do after 10-20 years of service if you get out....absolutely nothing.  Dont be fooled, there are 3 types of sig ops... the static ones, the satellite ones, and the Field ones. Wherever you start after training will most likely be the same place you retire.  Choose carefully .

Funny,  I have done everything in this trade except MACS or a commcen in Canada.  I have deployed as HQ staff in Rwanda, SDS in the Golan, Fwd CP in Kabul, Lt Det Comd Commcen Super in Senegal and Mission team leader for advance satillite system implementations in Kandahar.  I have worked TCCCS from a radvan, iltis, TCV, Trunk Node, HQ Node and Rad Node.  I wrote papers on SOPs of the system and deficiencies there within.  I have been a member of the SRC, Lt Det and Hy Det in NCCIS Comms world.  I worked D Tp when it was first stood up as server deployment dets.  I was a member of the first Troop of the TAT.  I have also been trained in IRPVs, LTACS and 106 as well as more current radios such as the TAC Sat.  So I can see were you get that what you start off with is what you will always be especially if you don't push to get on courses to improve your trade knowledge.  If you don't like the trade your in or what you are doing, there are two options, GET OUT or Remuster!

Back