• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sig Op to Lineman????

Just to clarify... I am quite sure that no 71 Comms Grp have their Tac Vests. Some individuals may, but there has been no unit-wide issues yet. If anyone has proof to the contrary, let me know. I have a good source. I know a guy who works in the QM at the 712.  ;)

I don't know, but as I work in my unit QM (744, so 74/BC Comm Grp), I have had many a phone call and email and fax come through as to the status of the tac vests to be issued throughout not only my unit, but as I understand it, the remainder of BC.  I don't know much as to the status of Quebec, whether or not they're on the way, or what is going on with that, I don't know.  Wish I did, sorry.

Hey, Gilligan, you'll be SOL for this Summer anyway, since there's about 20 pers looking to go on the LMN QL3 mod 1 (max load 16), and it'll take 2 years to train you. :cdn:  Good luck on your civie career.

Don't forget the fact that there are a certain number of positions offered to different areas, but yes, I do realize that there is a backup of pers wanting on line courses, but that was why the trade was temporarily closed, and has only been opened again to certain units, hopefully that will rectify itself in a relatively short amount of time.

that's not what i heard about the line trade at all... I'm just across the water from you in 748 and while we're not immediately losing our linemen, they've been told there's an almost certain chance they'll have to remuster to sig op, or move to the one comm unit in Canada that will be entirely linemen.. that right, an entire unit of monkeys.. 

that said, i can't say i carry authority, this is just the rumor mill over here.. and it makes so much sense because we just got two nice new milcott's with the clack attachment :)  me, i agree linemen are generally pretty cool to hang around.. and sure as hell don't wanna go running line everywhere.. and i know they don't like our radio's... generally :p

Actually, that is only because they are phasing linemen out of 748 and 741.  744 is the only unit allowed to take on more linemen.  We've lost a lot over the last few years, and currently we only have 3 trained (brand new LCF Sgt from Edmonton), 1 recruit, and my paperwork was handed in this morning for my transfer.  744 is working on making the line section at our unit more stable, and should we reach the numbers we plan on reaching, then we'll be able to send in a request for a reasonable training budget....although they just paid for us to put in 4 new climbing poles....should be really nice come spring!

ah, you guy's arn't primarily NCCIS i guess... that or i'm totally lost  :eek:  i guess it changed.. suprise... i bet some of our linemen would be happy to know this though, they're not so happy bout turnin sig op and have been considering movin..

No, we aren't NCCIS at all.  Although, I am NCCIS Lt trained, and was in the QRT as long as it was in Vancouver.  So, I've been HF for awhile.  But no, our specialty is TCCCS, tac rad, as far as that is concerned.

Gilligan said:
HMMM, that must only apply to eastern lineswine...out west they are seemingly well behaved, that and harshly outnumbered!
I happened to be a RADOP (I know you yard apes couldn't infer that from my nickname).  I still managed to have several friends that were linemen.  In fact, my best friend is a lineman.  We still rib each other about our trade but are still great friends.  The two of us have known each other since we were in the infantry together.

Gilligan said:
  No, we aren't NCCIS at all.   Although, I am NCCIS Lt trained, and was in the QRT as long as it was in Vancouver.   So, I've been HF for awhile.   But no, our specialty is TCCCS, tac rad, as far as that is concerned.
Just to let you know, a QRT is only part of a Lt Det.  A Lt Det consists of 5 inmarsats, a QRT and a whole bunch of other kit to run a commcen.  I get a kick out of the reserves calling a QRT or LCT an NCCIS Lt Det.  I am in the SRC det here in Kingston and we are the only true Lt Det anymore.  I can actually get on an aircraft, civi or mil and go anywhere in the world. :salute:

Gilligan said:
  Actually, that is only because they are phasing linemen out of 748 and 741.   744 is the only unit allowed to take on more linemen.   We've lost a lot over the last few years, and currently we only have 3 trained (brand new LCF Sgt from Edmonton), 1 recruit, and my paperwork was handed in this morning for my transfer.   744 is working on making the line section at our unit more stable, and should we reach the numbers we plan on reaching, then we'll be able to send in a request for a reasonable training budget....although they just paid for us to put in 4 new climbing poles....should be really nice come spring!

748 also had new poles put in, but I don't think our linesmen have ever touched them. I was considering going line as well, although there would be no real point unless I moved to another unit

Radop said:
Just to let you know, a QRT is only part of a Lt Det. A Lt Det consists of 5 inmarsats, a QRT and a whole bunch of other kit to run a commcen. I get a kick out of the reserves calling a QRT or LCT an NCCIS Lt Det. I am in the SRC det here in Kingston and we are the only true Lt Det anymore. I can actually get on an aircraft, civi or mil and go anywhere in the world. :salute:

Sorry, no, I never implied that it was a true NCCIS Lt Det.....and never will.  I didn't mean to make you think I didn't know what I was talking about.  Not that it matters, since my unit does not deal with HF in any capacity other than the pathetically small baserad stn....and I don't work in there anymore either. 

That's too bad as HF is a lost art that needs to be relied upon more as it is one of the best and most reliable radio comms still available but you need good operators to run the systems.  In afghanistan, we used it on all deployment as a guard net.

Hi all Sigs on here. Just joined and looks like a great forum. I pulled the pin in Jul 01, and never called myself a 215. I did my last 4 years in the HF world as the Eastern Gateway Supervisor in Great Village. It was an excellent posting. I am not sure now how HF fits into it all, but I think it is still essential. I see the Jimmys are as busy as ever in all corners of the world. First in -- last out. VVV... :cdn:

Hey John, I remember bumping into you on the net while at Gander. I worked with M/CPL Bob Boyer at the time on the "ring" doing some grounding. Was attached to 1 Line Troop at the time. I think it was you that I spoke with.

I was once a lowly rad-op with 744.  But great was my joy when the army decided to bless me with a trip to Kingston and the chance to get my 052 and go line.  Lineswine down the line.  I've buried it underground, so those armoured bastards couldn't rip it up, in the tree's so lowly rad-ops who never tie down their whips won't tear it out, I even got KO'd when one of our armoured bretheren misjudged a turn in a Leo and killed the tree I was in.  Line is out there doing the job in the field, a half step behind the infantry, and several klicks ahead of the garrison desk-jockey brigades.  If you want to walk the walk, go line.  If you want to spend your time stuck running an HQ, where the officers outnumber the men, and BS outweighs "can-do", then stay with radio.  I remember running a Brigade CP for over a month, it was micromanaging hell.  In the line troop, you get told "do-it" and it gets done "fix it" and it gets fixed, and no-one looking over your shoulder as long as its getting done.  You work twice as hard, twice as long, and recover it all when your done, but you get to apply your skill, your strength, your initiative and judgement more as a Jr rank, then most trades allow as a Sgt.

See, that is the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.  Just last weekend I got the CO's approval for my remuster to 052, and so far it looks as though my Mod 1 in Kingston is a go.  I can't wait to get out and DO something....not that I didn't like being a sig op, it's a good go if that's what you're into, but alas it has run it's course with me, I need to do something that I will enjoy, something that I can do and not worry whether some officer is breathing down my neck 24/7 in a CP.  I have been working hard over the past few months to get to where I am and where I will be this summer, and hopefully all will go as planned.  Well, I'm off now, I have a briefing with the CO as to when I will begin training as a lineman within the unit, which will hopefully be this coming weekend.  Thanks to all for their suggestions, and sorry to the sig ops who couldn't sway my opinion, and thanks to mainerjohnthomas, always good to hear from a fellow westerner, Semper Versitus! 

Hey Gilligan,

Good to hear that turned out well for you. I'll probably see you in Kingston this summer, and I'll make sure to laugh at you guys doing all those pushups.  ;D

Good luck in your new trade.

Rad Op 211 said:
Hi all Sigs on here. Just joined and looks like a great forum. I pulled the pin in Jul 01, and never called myself a 215. I did my last 4 years in the HF world as the Eastern Gateway Supervisor in Great Village. It was an excellent posting. I am not sure now how HF fits into it all, but I think it is still essential. I see the Jimmys are as busy as ever in all corners of the world. First in -- last out. VVV... :cdn:

The name doesn't ring a bell but we probably talked with your operators over the gateway in Debert with the QRTs and IMRCTs in the NCCIS dets.  Where you ever posted to Kingston?  As for 211,  :crybaby: says it all.

Back