• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sig Ops postings

Reaction score
Hello,

If there are any experienced sig. operators around, can you give me some info...

I'm waiting around in in PRETC in Borden right now, my Sig Ops QL3 course will start this August.  Will there be any elective courses I can choose from or does everybody take the same courses?

Will I get to submit a list of posting preferences once my QL3 is completed?  Do people get posted to bases or to battalions?  i.e.  can I compete for a posting to 3PPCLI ?

???

You will take the same 3's course as every one else at CFSCE in Kingston. Fun times had by all there! haha.
You will get to submit your top 3 posting preferences. Most likely you will not be going straight to a batallion.
Some of the main postings are 1/2 CMBG HQ and SIGS (Edmonton and Petawawa respectively) CFJSR (in Kingston)
not to say that there are not more posting or opportunities than that but those seem to be the most common.

Yea, they ask you for choices, but don't expect on getting them, from what I've seen some do get what they ask for, but most don't, I've seen guys ask for Petawawa and Shilo an they ended up at CFJSR in Kingston. As for going straight to a BN, its not common, but if there is an opening they will ask for volunteers(how it worked on my course). Not every course will have an oppertunity for this though.  Me an buddy lucked out on our course though an got to goto BN straight off our 3's an we're goin on tour in a bit.

Hey congrats MikeL! All the best on your upcoming tour.
Are QL3's only offered during the summer months?? 

So is it safe to say that the army tends to shuttle recruits through basic/Sq/BIQ consecutively, with a minimal amount of time between courses, depending on start dates??

As a Sig.. After basic you will goto CFB Borden to the unit PRETC and wait to do SQ (could be a week, could be a month or two) depending on when the next courses start and how many people there are to push through.. after that you will do driver training there for LSVW and then off to your 3's in kingston eventually.  BIQ is for infanteers.

Sorry man, I was confused.  I will be an infanteer.  That's why I was wondering if the 2's and 3's are only held during summer months as I know a lot of those courses are conducted outdoors, thus weather may or may not become an issue during winter.
I realize I shouldn't have posted in this thread, but bear with me please as I'm as green as they come. 
I've done searches on the topic of course dates and even searched the LFAA website but have found no info on the subject.  I'd appreciate any anecdotal knowledge, or a link would be great.

Operations don't stop because of the season; we fight and train year round.

Sweet that's the answer I was hoping for!!! ;D

haha I bet you won't have that big of smile on your face while on sentry at 4am in the middle of january, tired , cold and hungry  ;D  But its all part of the training. Good luck and have fun.

Back