• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signals Officer

IF you go into Signals you are going to be surrounded by people with science degrees and a real interest in technical maters. What's more important, perhaps, is that you will be expected to understand how and why things like radios work.

I'm only guessing, but my suspicion is that "social communications" doesn't have a whole lot to do with Maxwells' equations.

If this doesn't make sense to you:

Maxwells-equations-image.jpg

then you may not be very happy in Signals, because your colleagues and many of your NCOs will understand it.

Yes this definitely doesn't make any kind of sense to me haha !

I have a meeting with my University Counsellor on Thursday , I'll ask exactly what is being taught in the degree , but just from what I hear now , I'm not even sure if I would be happy in it , I'm still looking for some input from people that are currently doing it ( friend of my sister is a SigO he's gonna give me a call tonight ) but still !

E.R. Campbell said:
          then you may not be very happy in Signals, because your colleagues and many of your NCOs will understand it.

I have no idea what that is, but then again I make radios work, not design radios.

PuckChaser said:
I have no idea what that is, but then again I make radios work, not design radios.

It should make sense to many Sig Os (but not the computer science people) and would make sense to some Foreman of Signals ~ not all, just the radio guys.

_____
P.S. The're Maxwell's equations and they explain electromagnetic radiation.

That doesn't make sense to me but it DOES look like a lot of fun... I need to get out more  :)

Four years in a Math / Comp Sci program and it sticks with you for life... friends don't let friends do math...

So I have been researching the heck out of Signals Officer and had some questions I still have yet to find answers for.
Can a new recruit or someone new to the forces join as a Signals Officer?
As the signals officer listing on forces.ca has in demand next to it what exactly does that mean?
If that trade is one of my selected will that speed the process up of my application?
If someone has a ticket for Information Technology Technician from a college will that in anyway help towards the selection (This question goes towards ACISS as well)?

JoeDos said:
So I have been researching the heck out of Signals Officer and had some questions I still have yet to find answers for.
Can a new recruit or someone new to the forces join as a Signals Officer?

Yes, if they meet the criteria required to be selected.

JoeDos said:
As the signals officer listing on forces.ca has in demand next to it what exactly does that mean?

It means exactly that; there is a demand for Signals officers.  They are looking for applicants.

JoeDos said:
If that trade is one of my selected will that speed the process up of my application?

No. 

JoeDos said:
If someone has a ticket for Information Technology Technician from a college will that in anyway help towards the selection (This question goes towards ACISS as well)?

It may help towards becoming a Signals NCM, but to become an officer you would have to have a University Degree in a relevant field.

"Relevant field" may be flexible. I remember a BSOC student with an art history degree.

RookieMistake said:
Thanks for the info.

In addition, anyone know where I can find documentation of the prerequisites for promotion for Reserve (or Reg) SIGS at each rank?

Hi, currently I'm in my CFAT testing process, and I had a few questions concerning the trade Signals Officer (DEO - Direct Entry Officer)
I'm currently 21, and am in 2nd year University completing a degree in Computer Science.

I've applied for Sigs Officer DEO plan for Reserves, and I had a few questions.

1. After BMOQ, Common Army Phase, and Occupational Training, on the premise that I complete all of the training in success...
a) Currently I reside in Toronto, I've heard that you can choose which base you wish to work at, I won't have to relocate to a whole new location to start my occupation correct?
b) As a Sigs Officer in the Reserves, roughly I how much work hours/week am I entitled to?
c) How much will I be looking to make as a 2nd Lt Reservist vs. Reg Force (51k) a year (Sigs Officer)?
d) I plan to make a transfer to the Regular Forces some number of years down the road most likely in the same trade (Sigs Officer), if I am in the Reg Forces Sigs Officer, will I still have a say in which bases I would like to be stationed in ? (Around Toronto), or will I be relocating?

Thank you for your time.

a)In the reserves you can join a communications (Signals) unit in your local area, for instance, 32 Sig Regt Toronto. You can work there as long as you are part of the reserves. Keep in mind your training courses will require you to take courses up to 2 months full time in length in other locations (Gagetown NB, Kingston ON).
b) You can expect to work one night (half day) a week and about one weekend (maybe 8-4 Saturday and Sunday, or maybe from Friday night to Sunday evening straight on exercise) a month.
c)  You will likely start out as an Officer Cadet as you haven't completed your degree yet. 2Lt promotion usually happens on competition of your officer training and your university degree. A OCdt makes about $100 for a full day, about $60 for a half day (less than 6 hours). A 2Lt will make about $110 a full day ($70 half day). A Reg Force OCdt will make about $2800 a month, where as a Reg Force 2Lt makes about $4500 a month. As Reg Force Sigs you would likely be required to attend RMC, so some of your room and board will be subsidized.
d) As Reg Force Signals Officer your likelihood of getting posted in Toronto is next to nil. The best you could hope for is Kingston, then after a 2-4 year posting there maybe you could get CFB Borden (near Barrie ON). You have "influence" on where you are posted, indicating your preferences but at the end of the day your Career Manager has final say and he could post you to Alberta or Nunavut if he wanted. As an officer you should be prepared to move very often, maybe as often as every 2 - 3 years.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/officer-class-a-b-service-rates.page
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-class-c-officer-rates.page

For what it's worth, as a Sigs Officer you could have some options within the 'Golden Horseshoe' area, depending on the Regiment you join.  32 Sigs currently has a squadron parading at the Fort York Armoury in downtown Toronto and another squadron parading at Borden; 31 Sigs parades out of John Foote V.C. Armouries in downtown Hamilton.

It's a great trade, an outstanding team and there's no shortage of activity.

Regards,

:piper:

Hi,

First of all, I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post this here. I was looking on the Forces.ca website and I saw that there are no related civi jobs for Signals Officer. If I sign up to become a Signals Officer and decide to leave the Forces later on, what civi job will relate to the job of a Signals Officer? What does a Signals Officer do on a regular basis that is transferable over to civi life?

Thanks!

Well, it partly depends on your educational background and what areas of the Signals occupation you've worked in...but suffice to say that there are a bunch of related civilian jobs - particularly in areas like engineering management, telecoms engineering and/or management, computer systems engineering and/or management, intelligence, cyber security, etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the recruiting page says there are no directly related occupations, since the occupation specification for Signals lists nearly a dozen...

The Commissionaires are always hiring.

I'll second the response from OldCrow -- the technolgy and management skills are directly transferable to a wide range of civilian roles.

Switchboard Operator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwr5fPm1NHI

Just in fun

Tom

Back