• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Simon Logan v. Her Majesty The Queen

It was pretty specific that it was the pay and monthly allowances you are getting at time of release.  Aside from his base pay, this was what was in the complaint;

$3730.00 Special Operations Assaulter Allowance;

$65.50 Post Living Differential; and

$68.50 Civilian Dress Allowance.

If you read the claim, the argument included that the spec ops allowance was given because of their special skillset and risks, so is similar to the separate payscales for the doctors, pilots etc. That's completely reasonable to me, but looks more like someone put this in place to give them something equivalent to spec pay, but probably had quicker/different approval levels.  75% of PLD is pretty much nothing for most people (or actually nothing), but for almost $4k a month for the spec op assaulter allowance that's a huge difference.

Not sure how you would still be receiving theatre allowances, field/sea pay etc when you get released, but there are probably a bunch of similar allowances like this where it will make a difference for a lot of people. Things may have changed, but thought things like sea pay cease when you are transferred over to JPSU.  I can see GoC changing all the allowances after this so that most of those stop as soon as you are posted to JPSU on the way out, but they can't make that affect those that have already been released.

For the assaulters that would be pretty insulting; kind of BS to run them that hard and break them early but cut them out of the medical release benefits. Would personally chalk it up to the cost of doing business and having those kind of high tempo units, but bean counters and lawyers will find a way to screw people (even though the staff costs are probably pretty significant to do so).

Navy_Pete said:
For the assaulters that would be pretty insulting; kind of BS to run them that hard and break them early but cut them out of the medical release benefits. Would personally chalk it up to the cost of doing business and having those kind of high tempo units, but bean counters and lawyers will find a way to screw people (even though the staff costs are probably pretty significant to do so).

Assaulters and SF Ops allowances also are not pensionable. So even if they're not injured when they release, they're getting a basic rank level pension.

PuckChaser said:
Assaulters and SF Ops allowances also are not pensionable. So even if they're not injured when they release, they're getting a basic rank level pension.

Except SF Op, as an occupation and not a managed specialty, receive spec pay, which means their pensions will be higher.

The Assaulter is now its own occupation: expect it to be constructed similar to SF Op.

dapaterson said:
Except SF Op, as an occupation and not a managed specialty, receive spec pay, which means their pensions will be higher.

Is this a recent change? I know CBRN Op gets Spec 1...did not know SF Op was getting it now.

As for the court case, I'm glad to see the decision on this was a thumbs up...although I think it would be a mistake to include PLD in the new calculations. Hopefully just environmental allowances.

I may have misspoke - the last list of occupations in receipt of Spec Pay I can find (http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-res-force-class-c-spec-pay-table-12-sept-2019.pdf) does not include SF Op.

And I was not aware that the Assaulter MESIP had been implemented.

dapaterson said:

A lot of people think that, and then they VOT to SF Op and realize they're being paid the same as a Signaller (sometimes less if that Signaller has Spec Pay). ACISS (or whatever we'll be next year) was to undergo a new pay review system that DPPD has developed, and I have a sneaking suspicion that SF Op and Assaulter will be first in line for pay reviews.

Navy_Pete said:
It was pretty specific that it was the pay and monthly allowances you are getting at time of release.

For Reserve members on Class C everything is dated to time of injury not at time of release.

Teager said:
For Reserve members on Class C everything is dated to time of injury not at time of release.
Yikes what a soup sandwich. That would flip the tables where a reservist and reg force member injured on the same tour in the same way would get drastically different pensions.

Incorrect.  The Logan lawsuit deals only with LTD payments.  Pensions under the CFSA continue to be based on pay (per the CFSA and CFSR).

I think what PuckChaser was getting at is that you could have two dudes/dudettes in the same section, both hit by the same IED with the same injuries, both medically released and can't work again. Yet they would have differing LTD payment amounts. Sounds like another lawsuit waiting to happen. The same standard should be applied across the board.

I'm hoping this works out equally for both injured Reg and Res pers. I don't think we've always done the best job of taking care of injured soldiers, but I suspect things have been worse for reservists specifically. Who gives a crap whether a soldier injured on deployment is from The RCR or The QOR. If they both did their jobs and paid a price, they should be properly cared for and compensated.

Recieved an update on this.  It can be found on the website.

https://www.mcinnescooper.com/services/sisip-ltd-allowances-class-action/

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING?  The parties will now enter negotiations in an attempt to resolve the remaining issues in this class action. These issues may include such things as an applicable interest rate and the administrative process for paying Class Members. If the parties are unable to resolve these issues through negotiation, they will seek the Court’s direction.  You do not have to do anything at this time. This notice is provided for your information only. You will be receive a further notice following the resolution of the remaining issues.

Would this mean the government is not appealing the decision?

Looking at the document properties, it was produced by the law firm (the document creator is someone identified as an admin assistant at the law firm).  It's not a court document, and there is nothing in it to indicate one way or the other what approach the Crown intends to take; I have been unable to find anything in the press or on Government of Canada websites on whether or not the judge's decision will be appealed.

wonder what that means going fwd, will
the adjust SISIP CAF LTD or are they for real just renaming it to CAF LTD and gonna wait for another class action to settle it? Like folks who released after 31 Dec 2021…

wonder what that means going fwd, will
the adjust SISIP CAF LTD or are they for real just renaming it to CAF LTD and gonna wait for another class action to settle it? Like folks who released after 31 Dec 2021…

If the rumors are true about the PLD replacement, it’s a sizable pay bump. it will be an allowance which is treated and taxed as income. It better be factored into SISIP and VAC IRB or there will be another lawsuit coming their way very soon.,,,

If the rumors are true about the PLD replacement, it’s a sizable pay bump. it will be an allowance which is treated and taxed as income. It better be factored into SISIP and VAC IRB or there will be another lawsuit coming their way very soon.,,,
Lawyers have stated that if you have more added to your monthly SISIP amount VAC will be recalculating amd clawing that amount back off your IRB. The lump sum amount will not be clawed back.

Based on what grounds?

Back