• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had dealings with Peter MacKay for a few years. Smart guy. I met him a few days after he became MND. I thought he would make a good Prime Minister and really wanted to help Vets. I have emails where he made many promises. Turns out he is usually full of shit and completely untrustworthy.

"The minimum benefit for the Primary Reserve Force members on short-term class of service who are medically released, or take a voluntary release but qualify as being totally disabled will increase to 75% of the deemed salary of $2700/month from the previously used $2000/month rate."

On LTD $2700 and only $2000 if you are on vocational rehab. I made twice that much on civvie street and lost the ability to work full time due to my injury.

Need to edit. Got out the form.
75% of 2700$=2025$-400 in taxes taken off=1625$ monthly.

Is there any way to get the edit post function back?

Nemo tried to PM you but your inbox is full lol. Got a bunch of questions for you if you don't mind.

From the Federal Court of Canada:
The Federal Court approves a negotiated settlement of a class action brought on behalf of former members of the Canadian Forces.

(....)

The Court approves the proposed settlement finding that it represents a fair and reasonable compromise that is in the best interests of the class as a whole. With respect to the request made by counsel for the class to approve their claim to legal fees, the Court approves legal fees in an amount equal to 8% of the retroactive refunds payable to class beneficiaries. This figure is approximately 4% of the total value of the settlement ....
Summary, Docket: T-463-07, 4 Apr 13

Reasons for decision here or attached

If theres anyone else with or without SISIP experience please feel free to give your thoughts. I'd especially like to know about the 40k minimum if anyone has experienced what Nemo has.

Cheers,

Teager

The only addition I would have is to contact the DND Ombudsman and explain your situation.  They may decide to address the issue at ministerial level as unfairness to reserve pers.

I'm reading VAC's - "The New Veterans Charter" pamphlet that arrived in the mail.

In this document is clearly states $40,000 pre-tax minimum for those qualified, as an enhanced Earnings Loss Benefit
for Veterans participating in Rehabilitation program or unable to be gainfully employed.

I double checked this against the VAC website and found this link quoting the same information,
under the Earning Loss Benefit.

The VAC link also indicates it applies to certain Reservists as well.

"unable to be gainfully employed."

To bad VAC never defines "gainfully employed". I'm sure theres lots of vets that are employed but not gainfully but VAC believes any job is gainfull in my opinion.

kratz said:
I'm reading VAC's - "The New Veterans Charter" pamphlet that arrived in the mail.

In this document is clearly states $40,000 pre-tax minimum for those qualified, as an enhanced Earnings Loss Benefit
for Veterans participating in Rehabilitation program or unable to be gainfully employed.

I double checked this against the VAC website and found this link quoting the same information,
under the Earning Loss Benefit.

The VAC link also indicates it applies to certain Reservists as well.

That is for your VAC rehab. You get two years of SISIP rehab first. You can't get VAC rehab until you have exhausted the SISIP.

Folks:

I'm advocating for a Veteran in BC, who's ex was financially abusing him. Since their divorse, several years ago, it appears she has been tracking the SISIP class action and has initiated an action against this veteran with the hopes of getting a share of the prospective SISIP monies.

I am asking for any insight, links, legislation or experience with BC Divorce act, or any national act that protects veterans in this situation (i.e. protection of funds as a result of service disability, from an ex). I know I had read a statute on this before, but I cannot locate it.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Hope you have received a response offline sooner, but for information purposes this is covered under clause 85(1) of the the Family Law Act in BC (each province is somewhat different) at http://canlii.ca/en/bc/laws/stat/sbc-2011-c-25/latest/part-6/sbc-2011-c-25-part-6.html.  There is also a good summation of exceptions and variety in application on pension.ca at http://www.pension.ca/Disability%20Benefits%20&%20FL.pdf.  This page also provides examples of some court decisions that may be of help.

Teager said:
If theres anyone else with or without SISIP experience please feel free to give your thoughts. I'd especially like to know about the 40k minimum if anyone has experienced what Nemo has.

Cheers,

Teager

I have been on SISP LTD w / Rehab, since 17 Nov 2012 & getting just under $3,000 per month, AFTER TAXES. I released from the Pres, as a result of eventulally going on a Pcat, from a injury in Bosnia late 2000. I was on class "C", at the time of injury. It took about 6 months, for SISIP to kick in. Another Pres member, I worked with in Wainwright, is also getting the same scale on SISIP.

Bump with the very latest ....
A Federal Court judge has approved a $38.6-million settlement for Canadian military veterans with disabilities who won a lawsuit with Ottawa last year, lawyers for the veterans said Thursday.

The veterans were originally awarded $887.8-million over the long-standing federal practice of clawing back the military pensions of injured soldiers by the amount of disability payments they received.

The latest amount approved was for a settlement on the cost of living provisions in that agreement.

The lawyers for the veterans said they found a miscalculation in the way the federal government determined the cost of living allowance for military veterans.

The original class action was initiated in March 2007 on behalf of representative plaintiff Dennis Manuge and other disabled Canadian Forces veterans affected by the clawbacks.

The lawsuit started with 8,000 people, but the $38.6-million settlement includes another 6,000 veterans who were not subject to a wrongful offset of their benefits, but whose cost of living allowances were also miscalculated ....

I was med released in Oct 2013.  I was granted the 2 year SISIP benefit, & was told by SISIP that at the end of that 2 year period, I'd have to apply for CPP Disability if still disabled.  In 6 months I turn 60.  Am I forced to apply for regular CPP at that time, so SISIP can claw-back their equal funds ??  Or can I delay until a year later, hopefully no claw-back, and maybe a touch higher CPP (61 yrs of age, vs 60) ??

I haven't contacted SISIP as I don't want them to catch this if they haven't already. 

Tnx

Jack

You don't have to apply for CPP until you're 65 if you choose to wait that long.

Investigate the rules concerning CPP disability payments (which are different from the regular CPP rules and payments).

CPP disability benefits are not the same as retirement benefits.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/cpp/disability/benefit/index.shtml?utm_source=campaign%20URL&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=000050,%2003122013,%20Eng&utm_campaign=disability%20benefit

bigcletus,

Thank you for posting and for everyone's reply.

There are too many posts asking for how to enter the CAF,
but far too few on how to deal with exiting our organization.

Once the 2 years with SISIP is over is there a program from VAC that kicks in if you are unemployed/disabled before CPP?

I was told by SISIP, shortly before releasing, that at the 2 year mark, if my medical practitioner stated I was still disabled, I'd have to apply for CPP Disability.  If I was turned down, SISIP would continue (for how long, I have no idea).

So from these responses, it appears I can delay, buy 1 year, +/-, on apply for regular CPP.  If thats true, it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back