• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

sittin here at BMQ week 9

Tulach Ard said:
Sheesh, enjoyed it? Something makes me doubt that. Tolerated maybe?
If that IS the case.....any tips? Other than "dont breathe"  :p

I think 2Lt Rousseau has some Sadomasochistic tendencies >:D

Tulach Ard said:
any tips?

Theres only one thing to say to that :

Simply pay attention during the training and do exactly what the instructors have shown you. There no tricks, no fancy methods, no shortcuts.

The only trick is if you're one of the rare people who are born with an immunity to the effects of CS gas. Then you can just walk in without a mask and wave at everyone.

When I did the gas hut a couple months ago, in April I think it was, I loved it. Not so much the part about all the fluids coming out of your nose and eyes, but it had to be watching all the people who werent paying attention during lessons and couldn't seem to figure out how to seal their masks struggle than have to suffer through the how ever long we were in there lol.

The best tip I can think of when dealing with the gas hut is to keep your cool when going in with mask off. Once you notice the slightest sensation with regards to the effects of the CS gas, close your eyes, shut your mouth, and stop breathing. Do your drills as you are taught. DO NOT try to cut corners, you are taught it in a particular manner for a reason. Have faith in the training, and the mask, they both work. Best of luck with your training.

Chapeski said:
The best tip I can think of when dealing with the gas hut is to keep your cool when going in with mask off. Once you notice the slightest sensation with regards to the effects of the CS gas, close your eyes, shut your mouth, and stop breathing. Do your drills as you are taught. DO NOT try to cut corners, you are taught it in a particular manner for a reason. Have faith in the training, and the mask, they both work. Best of luck with your training.

Whatever happened to "GAS!......GAS!.......GAS!"  ?

The gas hut wasn't as bad as everyone said it was. As long as you do your drills right it's easy. Kinda funny though, watching people have to go back through it three or four times to get it right.

George Wallace said:
Whatever happened to "GAS!......GAS!.......GAS!"  ?

To be honest, I think I just forgot to mention that. As it's taught as part of the drills I would presume that the member would say it. After that is said, then keep your mouth shut (my bad). My last hut experience was about 18 months ago, and with my high tempo I've forgotten some of the "details". I do remember how to properly wear and clean my kit though, however I think for us army folk occasional trips to the hut should be required.As a refresher of course.

Sorry.  It would have been the last part of carrying out their IA Drills.  No need to yell it out before masking, as then you'll be inhaling gas. 

I just got a little carried away there.

Just remember to not stop in the middle of the doorway when you close your eyes, hold your breath and reach for your mask.  A buddy of mine did that, and when I ran into him, his mask went flying across the room.  He was not impressed.  I don't think he has forgiven me, to this day.

George Wallace said:
Sorry.  It would have been the last part of carrying out their IA Drills.  No need to yell it out before masking, as then you'll be inhaling gas. 

I just got a little carried away there.

No worries, it's good that you reminded me of it, as it's been so long I may have forgotten. As well, it reminds those going through the process the importance of saying it. (Lets their buddies know why they are masking up)

well i would have to say that in 16 weeks i will be abe to add my input to this as it will be my turn

I have the feeling this is a really stupid question, I know people cant bring laptops and that your personal belongings space is limited, but ive been searching this forum up and down and cant find a single thing about someone wanting to bring a skateboard.
Ive been riding for allmost 8 years and have been an amateur/ proffessional for the last 3. Deos.. or has anybody had a skateboard during bmq?
Im aware that you dont get free time untill atleast 4th or 5th week in and that my risk of injury would be much greater... I just cant put down the board! Willing to sacrifice my skateboard for my career but is that actually neccesary?

lucasbutts said:
I have the feeling this is a really stupid question, I know people cant bring laptops and that your personal belongings space is limited, but ive been searching this forum up and down and cant find a single thing about someone wanting to bring a skateboard.
Ive been riding for allmost 8 years and have been an amateur/ proffessional for the last 3. Deos.. or has anybody had a skateboard during bmq?
Im aware that you dont get free time untill atleast 4th or 5th week in and that my risk of injury would be much greater... I just cant put down the board! Willing to sacrifice my skateboard for my career but is that actually neccesary?

You can in fact bring a laptop, however during the first 4 weeks you may not see it. After your indoc period you may (course staff depending) be able to have it out on weekends. Keep in mind you won't be able to get internet on it unless you get one of those fancy internet stick things. That being said, a skateboard may very well be frowned upon as you risk injury to yourself while on course. You could try and bring a skateboard and see what happens, but I don't think the staff would be too keen on the idea.

If it were me I would forgo the skateboard for a couple of reasons 1.  The risk of injury is greater (and could possibly delay or completely destroy your career)  2. It is an extra item to carry around on your first day up all those flights of stairs.  3. Spare time is next to none on course (and if you have any at all I'd be doing something more productive on course to make life easier) I suggest wait until your done your course and posted to your unit then you can really get out and enjoy your board.  Best of luck on course.

alright, thanks alot for the response... i guess ill just have to leave it at home for the 13 weeks

lucasbutts said:
alright, thanks alot for the response... i guess ill just have to leave it at home for the 13 weeks

Can't be that bad. You make it seem like it was your holy grail or something. Enjoy BMQ while you can, as they break you.

Cluett said:
Can't be that bad. You make it seem like it was your holy grail or something. Enjoy BMQ while you can, as they break you.

aha it is my holy grail! if you were sponsored you wouldnt want to give it up either

Cluett said:
Can't be that bad. You make it seem like it was your holy grail or something. Enjoy BMQ while you can,

as they break you.

Wow, heavy stuff !  ;D

Back