• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Skill required to be a Reserve Musician

bob the piper

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know what skill level is required to become a musician in a Reserve brass and reed band? I'm in high school now, and was considering joining a reserve band through the rest of high school and in uni until I could get commisioned as a medical student.

I'm just wondering if I would be adequately skilled, 5 years on tuba, 3 on trombone, to be a musician and if what you thought of my idea.

Thanks for any input.  

I remember reading a article on I think it was The lorne Scots Pipes and Drums, that you would need to have some experience. School musician for example.

I did a little more searching and i found that you need to be at at least an advanced high school level or a first year university level. So, I may have to wait another year and practice really hard before I can get in. More time to get in shape!

Bob, your best bet for the time being would be to contact the band you're planning on joining (I assume it would be the Winnipeg Rifles). You can sit in and play as a civilian, do an audition, and get a general grasp of the calibre of the other musicians. Also, you can find out more about joining. I know most reserve bands prefer to have prospective members audition with them before they even submit the paperwork.

Here: http://www.mts.net/%7Erwpgrif/

is their regimental site, and there's a great deal of info about the band.

Hi

I am currently a reserve musician and I was wondering--if I take a civilian job in another city and wish to transfer bands do I have to audition again for each band?

Depends on the band. Some are at a much higher level and may have higher standards than the band you left. In theory, if you transfer, they should be required to accept you, but as with any transfer, it's always in your best interests to get in touch with the gaining unit before the transfer paperwork goes through.

In addition to talent, you'll need the skill to repeatedly lift 12oz with one arm.  ;D

Doing a 3 hour parade in July in a wool uniform while not being able to watch where you're going and still be able to play complicated quick marches sucks, no matter who you are. Unless you're the bass drum, in which case add a leopard skin and about 30 pounds to that, and the suck factor compounds greatly.

don't forget the fur hat sometimes worn.  Nice thing is there is always people like me around to drag your limp body off the parade square when you do collapse.

Back