• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Slobby guys create more work for wives - Livescience

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I would have put it in "Home front", but I don't think all people (guys) would have appreciated it  :p !

Study: For women, marriage means 7 more hours of chores a week

Having a husband creates an extra seven hours of housework each week for women, according to a new study. For men, tying the knot saves an hour of weekly
chores.

"It's a well-known pattern," said lead researcher Frank Stafford, an economist at University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. "Men tend to work more outside
the home, while women take on more of the household labor."

He points out individual differences among households exist. But in general, marriage means more housework for women and less for men. "And the situation gets worse
for women when they have children," Stafford said. Overall, times are a' changing in the American home. In 1976, women busied themselves with 26 weekly hours of
sweeping-and-dusting work, compared with 17 hours in 2005. Men are pitching in more, more than doubling their housework hours from six in 1976 to 13 in 2005. Stafford
analyzed time-diaries and questionnaires from a nationally representative sample of men and women over a 10-year period between 1996 and 2005. The federally-funded
study showed that, compared with the single life, marriage meant more housework for both men and women.

"Marriage is no longer a man's path to less housework," Stafford said.

Single women in their 20s and 30s did the least housework, about 12 weekly hours, while married women in their 60s and 70s did the most — about 21 hours a week.
Men showed a somewhat different pattern, with older men picking up the broom more often than younger men. Single guys worked the hardest around the house,
trumping all age groups of married men. Having kids boosts house chores even further. With more than three kids, for instance, wives took on more of the extra work,
clocking about 28 hours a week compared with husbands' 10 hours.

Link

Ok, there is just no " correct opinion " for a male to have on the thread. I dare any non PC man to make a comment on this, and further more, I challenge any woman to make a fair and objective comment that does not start a flame war.

OK, so right off the bat they concentrate on the greater number of hours spent by women working inside the house in the majority of households. I'll even buy that.

But where the hell is the figures on all the work the men are doing outside in the yard etc (which we are not) while we're working inside the house??

They mention it, but offer up no comparisons of time there.

I hate biased crap like this. Or is it OK that men do all the yardwork outside while we do little, but expect them to do equal work in the house too?? What about our equal work out in the yard, raking, mowing, garbage, roofing, painting, yadda yadda yadda.

A PhD in Women's Studies -- this girl will never have. Thankfully.

Jed said:
Ok, there is just no " correct opinion " for a male to have on the thread. I dare any non PC man to make a comment on this, and further more, I challenge any woman to make a fair and objective comment that does not start a flame war.

Uhmmm, read my last.  :-\

Which was diligently being typed as you typed yours. Please, do not tar us all with the same brush like this article tarred all the men. We're not all of this mindset.

+1 ArmyVern  :) You will have to delete this though because it is a +1 post

I wonder how military guys fare compared to civvy guys. My (military) boyfriend keeps an immaculate house (we don't live together), does all the chores inside and yardwork, etc. outside, and there's definitely not a "slobby" bone in his body. In fact, I've often wondered if he was slightly OCD. ;) I don't know if this is true of the majority of military guys or not, but I can tell you that I am not at all worried about him keeping up his 'end' when we get married. He keeps telling me I'll understand why he is the way he is after completing basic training, so I infer from this that he became 'efficient' after joining the military.  ;D

It's not true for every military guy. My room mate is an absolute wreck. I'm 100% convinced that as an individual he would not be able to live on his own. His priorities as an individual are completly out to lunch. There's been more than one occassion where the investigation of an odd smell leads to some new life form gestating in a mug or a bowl in his room. My denial to pay rent and turn off the internet is usually a good way to get him to clean up. ::)

I try and keep wherever I am clean. Some nights I might leave a dish or two in the sink, but after coming out of a resturaunt job, through training, and now in a Q there are many habits I can't drop. My last relationship I was always helping with the dish's and cooking. It's my belief that cleaning and work should be everyones job, not just one individual. The moment someone starts cleaning or working and I'm not involved it almost kills me with guilt.

Unless it's my room mate.  :p

Well, the article even states:

"It's a well-known pattern," said lead researcher Frank Stafford, an economist at University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. "Men tend to work more outside
the home, while women take on more of the household labor."

I don't know if they mean by that that men take on more outdoor chores, or that they tend to work longer hours at their jobs, or both. But although times may be a-changing...I'm sure if kids are involved, women are more often the ones to sacrifice work in order to take care of the home. That would account for women spending more time on average doing housework, and isn't indicative of men being "lazy".

I'll be honest...I don't think I've cleaned our bathroom in our apartment since we've moved in - I leave it for my girlfriend.  ;D  But then again, I like to sweep and do laundry. She can't stand vacuuming. We both figure out how we'd rather contribute, and I'm sure it's the same with men and women.

Back