• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sniper investigation - Ombudsman's report delayed

Babbling Brooks

Inactive
Reaction score
The Ombudsman's report on the 'sniper investigation' was supposed to have been completed this summer, but after perusing the Ombudsman's website last week, I found no trace of it.  So I e-mailed the guy, and his Director of Communications e-mailed me back (http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/10/sniping-from-sidelines-will-have-to.html).

The thrust of it is that the investigation took longer than they had expected, and they're more interested in getting it right than in getting it right now.  I don't recall ever having that option when I was in ("I know I didn't meet the timing, but I really wanted to get it just right."), but I digress...

Anyhow, it looks like the report is going to be in the MND's hands late Nov or Dec, which means it should be released to the public in Jan 2007.

In case anyone around here was actually curious...

Heads-up: the long-awaited, much-delayed report is going to be released publicly tomorrow morning, with a press conference by the Ombudsman tomorrow afternoon, I've been told.

This will be interesting, even if I had forgotten about the whole issue. Thanks for reminding us.

The original link you commented on is Article Link

I seem to have lost the link to the PDF of the Macleans article, but here is the online version:

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20060515_126689_126689

The report can be accessed here:

http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/rep-rap/sr-rs/sb-bte/index-eng.asp

I've only had time to review the Summary of Findings, but for an investigation that lasted on the long side of forever, there doesn't seem to be much there.

Read the Executive Summary.  Doesn't sound like there was much there.

Military families 'deserve better' treatment: ombud
Updated Wed. Apr. 25 2007 1:53 PM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Family members of military personnel deserve better treatment when they raise concerns to the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces about their loved ones, says a new report.

On Wednesday, the DND and Canadian Forces ombudsman, Yves Cote, released 'A Sniper's Battle - A Father's Concern: An Investigation into the Treatment of a Canadian Forces Sniper Deployed to Afghanistan in 2002.'

The report chronicles the treatment of a team of snipers before, after and during their deployment in Afghanistan.

It also documents how Patrick Ragsdale, the father of one of the snipers -- Master Cpl. Graham Ragsdale -- was treated after he raised concerns about the welfare of his son.

"Ultimately, after an exhaustive investigation, we've come to the conclusion that the snipers were generally treated fairly by the Canadian Forces -- particularly given the circumstances under which they were operating," Cote told reporters Wednesday.

However, Cote said the report also concluded that Ragsdale's complaints were not handled in an "appropriate manner."
More on link

Probably not really related but pick up a copy of soldier of fortuine magazine (or say like the last 5 or 6 issues it seems) and all you hear about is snipers being mistreated.

Soldier of Fortune is an excellent source of accurate information.  ;) I found it unfortunate that it took so long to have the investigation completed and the findings released. Hopefully this will conclude this whole drama.  :salute:

Back