• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So I'm in the market for a new(er) car...any suggestions?

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Well I'm looking and probably going to buy within the next few months so I'm throwing it out there.

This is what I'm looking for:

- mid size car

- fuel economy (especially these days)

- warrenty coverage

- Wear and tear

- possibility of hybrid cars. If you own one how is it so far?

What I am not willing to buy:

- Ford or Honda products (overpriced and parts are through the roof. Customer service is atrocious...etc, etc)

- Trucks...I have no need for one.

Right now I'm leaning towards the VW GTI. I am a MOPAR guy and have been for years...so it pains me not to buy a Charger.

So what do you recommend?

Regards

Yeah, so am I.  My search is for used though.

This is not a bad starting point:  http://www.canadiandriver.com/index3.htm

To be honest I hate buying a car....

Toyota Matrix. I don't have one but I've been considering it as my next car. They are reasonably priced. Toyotas keep their value and it's a functional vehicle. You can check it out at http://www.toyota.ca. Not sure if you would be able to get a used one because they are a fairly new vehicle...Good luck!

I drove a 2000 VW Jetta TDI for 5 years, loved it,  but the little things kept breaking and finally a major issue drove me away from it.
Little things: they have a weird coffee cup holder, situated right above the CD player. The cup holder broke X2 in 5 years- PITA for the morning run to work.

The little knob to control the side view mirrors also broke, $65 to repair. The glove box lifting rail assembly broke- ~100 to repair.  The left rear tail light/brake light were always burning out.   

Major things- the turbo charger gate seized shut a couple of times. The water pump went twice in a row about 10,000K after the timing belt change and the warranty has expired. I'm positive the mechanic screwed it up, but could never get them to come around to my view.  :threat:

I would buy a VW again, but I would also get rid of it before the warranty expires.

Check out the Volvo s-40 with T5 package- comfortable, affordable, safe. We love it but it will be owned by someone else before the warranty expires again. Nothing can survive the roads in London, or my wife's heavy handed approach to using peripheral equipment inside a vehicle. In fact, I think I just heard the door slam, followed by the trunk slamming. :(

I love my VW Golf TDI it is black, 2dr., 5 spd with alloys.

I get 1100 highway kms to the tank...and diesel still remains cheaper. 
It has a 12 year body corrosion warranty, with two sided galvanized steel.  Great warranty, free roadside for the first two years.
It drives like a little tank in the snow, with just all seasons.

The resale or trade value stays quite high.

Cheers
HL

The TMMs are Toyota devotees. The 89 Camry I learned in is *still* in good mechanical shape and running!

I bought a 2001 Echo last year and I love it. Don't let the small exterior fool you; the inside has more space than a Camry. If you are tall you'll appreciate the large head room in the car. If you're short like me you'll appreciate the raised seats. There is plenty of trunk space, and you can get even more because the rear seats fold individually.

The fuel efficiency is amazing. I drove from TO to St. Thomas and back on a single tank and still had fuel left. Not bad for a 40 litre tank!

We did look at the Prius but for the extra cost it really wasn't worth it; I drive 7000km max per year.

Take a look at the new Toyota Yaris sedans when they come out, they look to be really neat, and inexpensive...(The Echo no longer exists-too many recalls and problems)..If you're not willing to go for a Honda, then try a Corolla.

Stay away from VW, they are expensive to buy and more expensive to fix, I've owned two, and they are best dropped before the warranty expires.

Shop rate for a VW is $105/hr, and parts are interchangeable with Porsche - and priced accordingly. Don't even get me started on $85 warranty oil changes, $300 wiper motors or $150 shocks... (prices parts only)

I can't think of a single person who has owned a Toyota and has negative things to say about them - including me. Parts are expensive, but they are easy to work on, and seem to be immortal.

Financially; stay within your means!  That car needs to last you a year for every $1,000 you spend. (i.e. buy for $12,000, own for 5 years, should be able to sell for $7,000 when you change to a new vehicle)

Avoid a large car mortgage.  Higher rate and higher payments per month.  Save up your money and try to pay at least 2/3 or 3/4 down. 

Never let the car lot arrange your mortgage; some are known to arrange for kickbacks from the lending institutions they work with (to your disadvantage).  Make your own arrangments with your own bank. 

Get a good warranty.  Some of the models they make these days are complete garbage.

If you buy second hand, expect to be conned if you go to a corner lot.  Go to a big name dealer where you pay a bit more but they have more of a reputation they have to live up to so they tend to abide by their written agreements.

Sign NOTHING unless you are sure you are ready to buy it; its a common con trick to get you to sign a proposal that they say you can 'fill in details later'.

Toyota Matrix, my mom just got one used, great little vehicle.

+1 on what go said about VW. I love my jetta, but whenever something breaks it's expensive...

Scaddie said:
(The Echo no longer exists-too many recalls and problems)..

I only saw a couple recalls in the first two years. I still love the car.

I echo GO!!!'s comments about VW repairs. A friend has a VW diesel and getting even the smallest thing repaired is a long wait. Even if you can fix it yourself, the parts always take forever to arrive.

Centurian is also bang on regarding financing. Get as large a down payment as you can short of going homeless and starving, then look into a line of credit as opposed to dealership financing. Another option, provided you pay off your credit cards in full every statement, is to charge the monthly payments to that.

If leasing, get bridge insurance(not just for sappers :D). This covers the difference between what you've paid and buyout cost in case of accident.

I vote Subaru or Toyota.  Sub make excellent vehicles with good fuel economy big plus with the all wheel drive.. 

Buy a 1 or 2 year old used car, save on the depreciation you will definetly have.  I bought that old pickup of mine new.. never going to do that again.

I have it for sale BTW.. 98 Sonoma, 172 000kms

For you, special price.. $8000

I agree with the others. Stay away from the VW. I owned a 2001 1.8T and a 2002 TDI Jetta.All 1.8T burn premium fuel( an expensive commodity these days. The TDI was an automatic and never got more than 950 kms to a tank. Oil changes cost an arm and a leg and other repairs will cost you your first born child. VW service is horrible. Gas and diesel are so close in price now it hardly makes a difference on your fuel budget. Don't be fooled by Germany stories when VW was at the top of there game, you now get Mexican quality. My neighbour just went through two 2006 Jettas in a couple months. They were both lemons and he ended up getting a full refund, but no VW.

I traded my VW TDI in January for a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. I got the 2.4 L 5 speed for commuting purposes. I have gotten up to 740 kms to a tank on the highway. It is relatively cheap,has lots of safety features, has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 45 MPG fuel rating, larger than the Camry and Accord, 4cyl is powerful but the V6 has 235hp. My car has almost 6000 kms now and my wife and I love it. I highly reccommend it. As far as quality issues go Hyundai is now tied for second place with Honda and hopes to knock off Toyota in that department this year.

Bzzzzz...thanks but no TANKS!

As for pricing and wheeling and dealing...got that part down pat thanks all.

Just a bit of back info for you all....I own a 95 Dodge Neon. Bought it for $16 K new, down from $23. It still runs and is pretty decent shape. If you tear into the engine it looks brand new as is the underbody and suspension.

I have a tendancy to make my cars last awhile...my 84 Dodge Omni lasted for 11 years and my 81 Dodge Mirada lasted the same.

Just need a newer car....after 11 years on the road the Neon will give up, it's only a matter of time.

I will be going through my own bank for a loan.

As for going through dealers...I helped a friend get a great deal with his, and I think the manager had the sales rep fired over it. They tried to reneg but it was too late...it was a signed deal.    ;D

I don't want to ask, but the wife is pressuring me...anyone have any exeriences with a Dodge Charger?    ::)

Regards

Well,
To me, 90% of people won't care about a Charger... then the other 10% will be looking for a V8 Charger!
Like in the old days of the muscle cars!
If you want a Charger, for the name/reputation/power&performance, get a F%ckin$ CHARGER with a HEMI! (Fuel economy???????)

if you want to keep it to last and don't care about resale value, you can get the V6...

CHARGER is an icon, think about it...

The Charger would be the 6.1 L....and yes it has fuel economic features.

If I wanted the icon I would buy an original 426 and restore it.

However the price of gas these days....and it's not getting any cheaper.

So how about another car. Anyone have any experience with a hybrid?

How about the Pontiac G6?

Regards

Back