• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier fights fine for sharing pig

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
And the latest soldier in the news for something completely unrelated to the fact that he is in the CF:

Soldier fights fine for sharing pig
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/07/09/14656501.html

OTTAWA - A Carlsbad Springs man was just being neighbourly when he shared a side of pork with a friend.

Now he is going to trial in an Ottawa court on charges under Ontario's food safety laws.

On Thursday, Mark Tijssen, a major in the Canadian Forces, declined the opportunity to plead guilty to four charges under the province's Food Safety and Quality Act stemming from an investigation that was launched after an anonymous complaint by a neighbour was filed with the Ministry of Natural Resources.

The complainant alleged Tijssen and a friend purchased a pig, slaughtered it and shared the meat, something he readily admits.

"I grew up killing animals for meat. I grew up on a farm in southern Ontario and somewhere along the line in the last half dozen years our Ontario government has decided that's not a safe thing to do," he said of the food safety laws -- enacted between 2001 and 2005 -- that prohibit the practice of sharing home-slaughtered meat.

Tijssen belongs to a group of local churchgoers who butcher their own meat for safety reasons. It is legal to slaughter an animal for personal consumption, but not to share the meat.

MNR officials seized about 18 kgs of pork from his friend as she left his place in Carlsbad Springs on Nov. 11, 2009, and then raided his property two days later with police. Tijssen faces one charge each of failing to have an animal inspected before and after slaughter, running an unlicensed slaughterhouse and illegally distributing meat.

If he had pleaded guilty Thursday, he would have paid a nominal fine of about $1,000.

Instead, he'll fight for his right to food security.

"At a certain point principle kicks in and right is right and wrong is wrong," he said.

Bolstering Tijssen's case is 54-year-old Durham region dairy farmer and raw milk crusader Michael Schmidt. He was charged when his cow-share co-op, which provides about 150 partial owners with raw, unpasturized milk, was raided in 2006.

His case made international headlines and in January, he was acquitted of 19 charges of distributing raw milk and raw milk products.

"I will stand by him and support him and help him through this," Schmidt said. "Really it has nothing to do with protecting the public. It is simply about corporate control of our food supply."

Tijssen will be back in court Sept. 16.

See this is the problem with our injustice system. Mr Tijssen isn't allowed to kill his own animal and share it with a friend or other people for that matter. It is against the law. Yet that hateful little Arse from the other thread is allowed to spout crap and racist remarks for years before some one does something about it.
How in the hell did we get to this point????

I could maybe understand this if he was distributing for monetary gain, but it sounds like he is just being neighbourly.  Does this mean we need liquor licenses to sit on the porch with a friend if i provide him with a beer?

And we have Clifford Olson sitting in a pen threatening to sue if he doesn't receive his old age pension. ???

Which planet are we on?

Your responsibilities under the Meat Regulation
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/meatinsp/resp-under-meat.htm

In Ontario, no one can sell, transport, deliver or distribute meat unless:

* The animal was inspected prior to slaughter (antemortem), approval for slaughter in accordance with the Meat Regulation, and the carcass was inspected following slaughter (post-mortem) and was approved for use as food in accordance with the Meat Regulation or the regulations under the Meat Inspection Act (Canada);
    * The animal was slaughtered in a plant operated by a provincially licensed operator or a federally registered establishment; and
    * The meat is stamped, labelled or tagged with an inspection legend.

In addition, no person can operate a slaughter facility without a licence.

Can I slaughter my own animals to feed my family?

Yes, provided you comply with on of the following options.

Option 1

Producers can slaughter animals and process the carcasses on the farm at any time of the year and are exempt from the Meat Regulations, provided all the following conditions are met:

* The animals must be slaughtered for consumption by the producer or the producer's immediate family only,
    * The slaughter must be performed on the producer's premises by the producer or a certified examiner; and;
    * The meat must be consumed only by the producer or the producer's immediate family on the producer's premises.

The meat from an animal slaughtered under this option cannot be sold, delivered, distributed, or transported off the farm under any circumstances.

Am I allowed to hire a butcher to come to my farm and do the cutting and wrapping on site for me?

A producer exempt from the Meat Regulations, who meets all criteria described above, is not prohibited from hiring the services of a butcher to conduct cutting and wrapping activities on the farm where the animal was slaughtered. The meat cannot be sold, delivered, distributed, or transported off the farm under any circumstance.

Option 2

Cattle and swine producers who want to slaughter healthy animals on their farm and have the carcasses processed off the farm may engage in the Non-Emergency slaughter provisions in O. Reg 31/05 under the Food Safety and Quality Act 2001, provided the following conditions are met:

* Only cattle under 30 months of age (UTM) and pigs are eligible to enter a meat plant under this provision;
    * An examiner certified for non-emergency, on-farm slaughter may provide stunning, slaughter and dressing services and must perform ante mortem and post mortem examinations;
    * Carcasses and products can only be transported to and from a provincially licenced meat plant;
    * Provincially licenced meat plants must be approved to process on-farm slaughtered carcasses and are only allowed to accept them up to a total of 16 weeks per year: a maximum of four weeks during the spring period (March 1 to April 30) and a maximum of 12 weeks during the fall period (September 1 to December 31);
    * Processing of products are limited by the regulation, to cutting, grinding, wrapping and/or freezing of beef or pork, and processing ham, bacon or sausage from pork only.
    * The products can only be consumed by the producer and their immediate family on the premises where the animal was slaughtered; and
    * Products cannot be sold, shared, donated or distributed.

Tank Troll said:
How in the hell did we get to this point????

Charter of Human Rights.  Human Rights Commission.  Political Correctness.  No Victims Rights.  Those are just a few steps we have taken to the extreme.  There are more that make one sound like a racist, bigot, paranoid, etc. when they bring up Anti-White, Anti-Establishment, Forced Bilingualism, "Center of the Universe" (Toronto), and so many other things that are destroying the values that we built this country on.  Values that have allowed to be overruled by religious and social problems inherited from recent refugees and immigrants from troubled nations.  Accepting refugees and immigrants with open arms is fine, if they intend to accept our values; values that we hope is what brought them here.  Accepting refugees and immigrants with open arms and allowing them to recreate their problems, prejudices, etc. from the nation that they are escaping from has not proven to be wise.  Honour killings come to mind, as does social hatred between different ethnic groups.

George Wallace said:
Charter of Human Rights.  Human Rights Commission.  Political Correctness.  No Victims Rights.  Those are just a few steps we have taken to the extreme.  There are more that make one sound like a racist, bigot, paranoid, etc. when they bring up Anti-White, Anti-Establishment, Forced Bilingualism, "Center of the Universe" (Toronto), and so many other things that are destroying the values that we built this country on.  Values that have allowed to be overruled by religious and social problems inherited from recent refugees and immigrants from troubled nations.  Accepting refugees and immigrants with open arms is fine, if they intend to accept our values; values that we hope is what brought them here.  Accepting refugees and immigrants with open arms and allowing them to recreate their problems, prejudices, etc. from the nation that they are escaping from has not proven to be wise.  Honour killings come to mind, as does social hatred between different ethnic groups.

Well done George, you've discovered the unified theory of intolerance.

::)

This was a simple thread about meat regulatory laws.

Does this apply to wild animals that have been hunted and killed also?

Next thing is we won't be able to share a case of beer or other beverage with friends after they help you move..or they can't help you move because you don't have Workman's Comp or aren't providing proper personal safety equipment.
So, I have to BUY my FEDERALLY inspected meat from a legal butcher who is LICENSED by the government to properly inspect, slaughter and butcher my meat for me, but I can't go shot it myself and give some excess to friends?  Now that is stupid? 
BTW, what happened to the 18kg of seized meat? 
I think George is right, this planet is going to heck in a hand basket and we're letting the government do it for us!

My  :2c:

Tank Troll said:
Does this apply to wild animals that have been hunted and killed also?

It wouldn't surprise me. Years ago when I was in Cold Lake I managed to knock down a good size buck when out hunting. I had it butchered and took the resulting sausages home to my Mom in Saskatchewan. Only later did I learn that I was supposed to get a license and pay a fee to transport it from one province to another.

Retired AF Guy said:
It wouldn't surprise me. Years ago when I was in Cold Lake I managed to knock down a good size buck when out hunting. I had it butchered and took the resulting sausages home to my Mom in Saskatchewan. Only later did I learn that I was supposed to get a license and pay a fee to transport it from one province to another.

No problem there because you ate the evidence. ;D
But what about fish......I suppose I would be allowed to take fish from our polluted rivers and lakes
and share them with just about anybody.

Had I been living in Ontario, I would have been committing an offence when I raised for slaughter my four pigs last summer. 

Wow, Nanny State gone crazy, and the police aren't busy enough?  These are consenting adults sharing meat "of another type", yet are forbidden to do so? 

It's not like he was selling it on the corner or whatever.  I think, as a society, we truly have jumped the shark.

Rogo said:
I could maybe understand this if he was distributing for monetary gain, but it sounds like he is just being neighbourly.  Does this mean we need liquor licenses to sit on the porch with a friend if i provide him with a beer?

Shhh don't give them ideas ::)

Unfortunately, this is another case of a bunch of city-born bureaucrats in Toronto who have never eaten food that hadn't came from a store and who think the idea of someone butchering their own food and giving it to friends and family as something completely alien and needs to be controlled/stopped. 

And God help you, if you try to rise to many turkeys/chickens/milk and don't belong to the relevant farm marketing board because you may wake up and find the cops coming through your front door!

Retired AF Guy said:

Hunt Ontario
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/mnr_e001284.pdf

Abstract

This guide provides everything you need to plan your hunt in Ontario, including information about moose, deer, wild turkey, black bear, bow hunting, muzzleloaders, waterfowl, upland gamebirds, small game, regulation and contacts.

Citation

Date Published:   April 24, 2001
Delivery Agent:   Ontario Government, Ministry of Natural Resources
Author:   Fish & Wildlife Branch

Moose, deer, bear, and furbearing mammals are subject to export regulations and require a provincial export permit. Furbearing mammals include, but are not limited to, wolves, raccoons, coyotes, and red fox. A fee is charged for a non-resident’s export permit for moose, deer, and bear.

Technoviking said:
  These are consenting adults sharing meat "of another type", yet are forbidden to do so? 

It's not like he was selling it on the corner or whatever.  I think, as a society, we truly have jumped the shark.

I was going to go there but wasn't to sure how the forum would take it.  And I think that's illegal too, somehow...somewhere ???

Hey some here in the centre of the known universe are working on changing that 8)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/421205

Danjanou said:
Hey some here in the centre of the known universe are working on changing that 8)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/421205

And the milk producer quoted in the news article was acquitted.

And we don't yet know how the meat case will be resolved.

But let's not allow any facts get in the way of a good collective rant against laws or regulations in our society.  We're only missing someone blaming the Liberals, and then someone else pointing out that the Conservatives were in charge when one of the laws was drafted, and then we can wait for someone to connect it all to the gun registry ......

Michael O'Leary said:
And the milk producer quoted in the news article was acquitted.

And we don't yet know how the meat case will be resolved.

But let's not allow any facts get in the way of a good collective rant against laws or regulations in our society.  We're only missing someone blaming the Liberals, and then someone else pointing out that the Conservatives were in charge when one of the laws was drafted, and then we can wait for someone to connect it all to the gun registry ......

We could then compile a book with chapters on: meat regulations, Dairy regulations, the Gun registry, etc. and publish it to keep Mike's site up for the next thousand years and teeshirts for all site members.    ;D

Back