• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier fights fine for sharing pig

Danjanou said:
Hey some here in the centre of the known universe are working on changing that 8)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/421205

I have seen this in other places as well, particularly in the recent amalgamations of large rural areas into large metropolitan areas.  A large number of farms, formerly considered rural, became metropolitan areas.  Suddenly rural residents found themselves with a large number of municipal bylaws that did not allow them to keep their 'rural practices'.  Questions about having chickens, goats and pigs are now being raised at Municipal Councils.

Danjanou said:
Hey some here in the centre of the known universe are working on changing that 8)

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/421205

I have actually been interested in this.  I would to keep some for the eggs, and teach the kids about life.  Still is illegal, however this is a good blog about raising somein Toronto, under the chicken wire, so to speak;

http://torontochickens.com/Toronto_Chickens/Blog/Blog.html

dileas

tess

Just listening to Mike Stafford at 640 AM (Toronto radio station) and it sounds like this will be a topic of discussion sometime in the next three hours.

Michael O'Leary said:
We're only missing someone blaming the Liberals, and then someone else pointing out that the Conservatives were in charge when one of the laws was drafted, and then we can wait for someone to connect it all to the gun registry ......

I can do that for you.

But I am really hoping that I was not the only one who, upon seeing the title of this thread, thought "Great, another "inappropriate relationship" hits the headlines.

Back to the original story, you have to wonder what he did to p*** off the neighbour that reported him. I mean, they had to know exactly the when and where to have the cops stop the other neighbour as they were leaving.

I do agree that the law is obscene. We grew up butchering all our own meat, and heaven forbid evening "sharing" it with family and friends (and maybe a local store once or twice).

captloadie said:
Back to the original story, you have to wonder what he did to p*** off the neighbour that reported him. I mean, they had to know exactly the when and where to have the cops stop the other neighbour as they were leaving.

And that is the 54 dollar question! 

captloadie said:

Maybe he gave the guy the 'back half' of the pig?  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Maybe he gave the guy the 'back half' of the pig?  ;D
Yes, I get the joke, but....
Ham.  That's from the back end!    ;D

George Wallace said:
There are more that make one sound like a racist, bigot, paranoid, etc. when they bring up Anti-White, Anti-Establishment, Forced Bilingualism, "Center of the Universe" (Toronto), and so many other things that are destroying the values that we built this country on.

Bilingualism is destroying the values that we built this country on ??  ::)

Bilingualism is not forced, it is encouraged.

We can largely thank the lobbying actions of big agribusiness who aim to control our nation's food supply from field to butcher's counter for such legislation that will cite 'safety' concerns for barring small scale mom & pop farms from selling their goods.

Food, Inc. is a big eye opener as to how big agribusiness has bullied its way into such a position of power.  Whilst the documentary is very US specific, the multinationals that are cited in the US have Canadian operations or Canadian controlled equivalents, which have very similar operating standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.

Jungle said:
Bilingualism is destroying the values that we built this country on ??  ::)

Bilingualism is not forced, it is encouraged.

I prefer it as being encouraged and something that a person honestly wants to be.  I feel that if they enjoy learning, as opposed to being forced, that they learn much quicker and proficiently.

Federal, Provincial, and now Municipal, governments are "encouraging" it by legislating it into job applications.  Merit now means you are fluent in "Canada's two official languages", not that you are capable in the job you are applying for.  I know of many who are multilingual, but not considered bilingual in Canada, as they either do not speak French or do not speak English.  Go figure.

George Wallace said:
Merit now means you are fluent in "Canada's two official languages", not that you are capable in the job you are applying for. 

Wrong... show me one job where being bilingual is the only pre-requisite.

George Wallace said:
I know of many who are multilingual, but not considered bilingual in Canada, as they either do not speak French or do not speak English.  Go figure.

As you mentionned, there are 2 official languages in this country; serving a person in Spanish or Korean at a government counter is not a requirement, although nice to have.

And don't worry, I hold the same discourse with Francos who have the same opinion as you.

If you ever have to visit a hospital or a courtroom in Québec (or a butcher shop, to return to the topic here...), you will likely be very glad that a lot of people make the effort to learn English, and that all the documentation produced by the provincial govt is bilingual.

We can largely thank the lobbying actions of big agribusiness who aim to control our nation's food supply from field to butcher's counter for such legislation that will cite 'safety' concerns for barring small scale mom & pop farms from selling their goods.

Food, Inc. is a big eye opener as to how big agribusiness has bullied its way into such a position of power.  Whilst the documentary is very US specific, the multinationals that are cited in the US have Canadian operations or Canadian controlled equivalents, which have very similar operating standards.

A good point. While government regulation has become way too lax to police the likes of Cargill and others, it has become more restricting for small farmers and other citizens. The genesis of our food production regulations may well lie in the fact that not everyone is qualified to butcher and sell meat, but those regulations have now become an instrument of the few corporations involved in most of the food production in Canada. We need smart government regulation, not inflexible "across the board" laws, but we also can't just trust the Cargill's of the world  to regulate themselves.

Jungle said:
Wrong... show me one job where being bilingual is the only pre-requisite.

Not as an only pre-requisite, but as "imperative".

Jungle said:
If you ever have to visit a hospital or a courtroom in Québec (or a butcher shop, to return to the topic here...), you will likely be very glad that a lot of people make the effort to learn English, and that all the documentation produced by the provincial govt is bilingual.

Not all, as there are many complaints in the NCR that Gatineau is not providing bilingual service and documentation in some issues..    How many constructions zones provide bilingual signage for non-Franco tourists to understand?  What about the "Language Police" harassing the people in the Pontiac?  At the same time, I noticed in Toronto that the majority of signage, etc. was English only, so this works both ways. 

Unless the pig in question or the persons who butchered the pig or received the meat was bilingual, we have strayed way off topic.

Of course, when I read the title my first thought was "What happened at Sweetwaters?"

Technoviking said:
Ham. Proscuitto.  That's from the back end - as opposed to "picnic ham" from the shoulder a.k.a. "pork butt" to some!    ;D
Fixed that for you - yeah, as a foodie, I don't have enough to do.  ;D

Kilo_302 said:
While government regulation has become way too lax to police the likes of Cargill and others, it has become more restricting for small farmers and other citizens. The genesis of our food production regulations may well lie in the fact that not everyone is qualified to butcher and sell meat, but those regulations have now become an instrument of the few corporations involved in most of the food production in Canada. We need smart government regulation, not inflexible "across the board" laws, but we also can't just trust the Cargill's of the world  to regulate themselves.
Sadly, though, guess who probably contributes more to political campaigns: Big Ag Inc., or individual farmers?  :(

Back