• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

With his permission (MCpl Paul Franklin) letter written to St-Jean;

To the students at St Jean, As you move through the different levels of training you will always look back at these moment of your training here at St Jean. You will grow to realize that there was a before St Jean and an after....you will change and as you go to the various trades and qualifications your time at St Jean will be one of remembrance. Canada is a warrior nation that has gone to war every 60 years or so. From the British landing on the Queen Charlotte Island by boat (arguably the first sea borne invasion in North America), traversing the great prairies by land before there were roads and even before rail, the more common known wars of Korea, WW1 WW2, etc...... we have fought these wars with our fire team buddies beside us and with the knowledge that we have won every war we have ever fought. When Quebec city was about to be overrun by the Americans the local citizenry stood up and said no....and side by side with our British allies we fought off soldiers that were battle hardened from the war of independence and with our small band of volunteers we won the day. The Germans called our volunteer force of the Canadian Army their most hated enemy. Storm troopers they called us. The Taliban wonder why a country with no colonial past, no reason to be in Afghanistan is there. They see us fight and they are scared....and the Afghan Army know that when they are about to be attacked that we as Canadians don't run to our armoured vehicles but that we grab a shovel and dig in. Side by side. St Jean has trained soldiers to fight on every battlefield and you will see your comrades do amazing things. You too may do amazing things. But it is based on the training you get here; this is the first step into making truckers, infantry , medics, airmen and even special forces. Listen, read and learn. Take in what these instructors say and do....they recently ran a race where over $18000 was raised for Soldier On.... a program that is designed to help wounded and injured soldiers. That kind of leadership and fortitude is what you would look up to...... The true heroes are not just the ones that fight the Taliban, being wounded and still carrying on but being a true hero is one who looks at what others need and then stepping up and doing what is right. These are true heroes. The teams that ran for the wounded, ran for the injured and ran for the fallen are those heroes. Thanks

:salute: :cdn:

EDIT: changed the letter colour from red to yellow as it was just about impossible to read. Bruce

Pte Rob Webster and MGen Semianiw after receiving the TML's jersey. Sorry Sens,Cal,Edm,Van and Montreal fans but Rob and I still Be-Leaf. LOL  (Army Run Sept 21st 2008)

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :salute: :cdn:

Good Day to all;

Rick Mercer was recently in Beijing and his show tonight will feature Canadian Paralympic athletes. Tune in to watch.

:salute: :cdn:

Good Day to all;
Here is another start line photo from the Army Run. In the front you see Cpl Mark Fuchko The Kings Own Calgary Regiment (Royal Canadian Armoured Corps) and along side him is Capt Lisa Francis. (CF Physical Rehabilitation Program)

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;
I am attaching a picture of MCpl Paul Franklin and his new One-Off mountain hand cycle, these are custom built and in the past 10 years only about 110 have been produced. Each one is specific to the individual and it allows them to access the trails. Paul had it built and the price was $5500. (titanium) Donations made to the Soldier On Fund allow us to continue to keep smiles on faces.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

I thought about starting a different topic for this post but in the end decided to post here because it relates to my mission with regards to the Soldier On program.
October 2nd 1998: Lest We Forget Labrador 305

Capt Peter Musselman 33
Capt Darrin Vandenbilche 33
MCpl David Gaetz 37
MCpl Glen Sinclair 36
Sgt Jean Roy 34
MCpl Darrell Cronin 32
Together they have 12 children, 5 were married and Darrin was engaged.

My first mission as a Sar Tech was with Jean and Darrell, I remember looking out the Team Lead spotter window and seeing this 600 foot tanker in the middle of the North Atlantic going up and down the waves, I cant remember the sea state but it was raining and that ship was heaving. On board a crewmen was experiencing stomach pains so we hoisted down mid ship. Darrell in his joyfull  Newfoundland tone looked at me and said " buddy this looks dangerous you think your up for some cod" I laughed and he said lets go.

Without Regard For My Personal Comfort Or Self Advancement, To The Best Of My Ability And To The Limitations Of My Physical And Psychological Endurance, I Solemnly Pledge To Make Every Effort To Return To Safety, Those Victims Of Disaster Entrusted To My Care By The Assignment Of The Mission To Which I Have Consented. Those Things I Shall Do:
"That Others May Live"

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

CDS General Walt Natynczyk and MWO Carol Monsigneur at the awards ceremony following the Army Run.

Army News photo.

Attached are a couple of pictures of MS Eric Payne (retired) who now works for VAC in Charlottetown. He is also on the organizing committee for the World Sledge Hockey tourn that will be held in PEI. His sledge was purchased with money donated to Soldier On.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Jody Mitic and Mike Barnewall at the St Partick's Day Run in Toronto. Funds raised went to the St. John's Rehab Hospital. Final total $50,652 and MCpl Mitic's team raised $41,600 of that. Congrats to all. A very proud run through the streets of Toronto for the Royal Canadian Regiment.

Second picture is of Fiona and Enrique Stevenson who travelled from Edmonton to participate in the Army Run, they also brought along $1000 dollars worth of donations from family and friends for Soldier On and the Military Families Fund. Paul Franklin accepting the donations.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;
Here are a couple of links to articles on Sgt Steve Daniel (retired) and the Comrades Motorcycle Club in Sudbury.
The Comrades MC is a new club in the Sudbury area who are retired CF members. Thanks for your support CMC.

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Lifestyle/2008/101608-motorcycleTOP.asp?NLStory=101608-motorcycleTOP
http://www.northernlife.ca/News/Sports/2008/101608-stevedanielTOP.asp?NLStory=101608-stevedanielTOP

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

I have copied and pasted a recent CANFORGEN with regards to Administrative Reviews on Medical Employment Limitations. (AR/MELS)
Make note of the last sentence.

CANFORGEN 187/08 CMP 080/08 141648Z OCT 08
USE OF MEDICAL RISK MATRIX FOR AR/MELS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. RECORD OF DECISIONS, AFC 10 SEP 08
B. DAOD 5023-0 UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE
C. DAOD 5023-1 MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS RELATED TO UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE
D. CFP 154, ANNEX D, APPENDIX 1
E. DMCA WEBSITE

THE PRINCIPLE OF UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE (U OF S) HAS BEEN AND REMAINS THE CORNERSTONE OF ALL ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEWS ON MEDICAL EMPLOYMENT LIMITATIONS (AR/MEL) DECISIONS. IN RECENT YEARS SUSTAINED RESEARCH IN OCCUPATIONAL MEDICINE HAS MADE POSSIBLE THE DEVELOPMENT OF RISK ASSESSMENT MATRICES WHICH IDENTIFY RETURN TO WORK POSSIBILITIES FOR EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE ONGOING MEDICAL CONDITIONS AND FOR WHOM THE PROBABILITY OF RECURRENCE OF A MEDICAL CRISIS IS LOW. THESE MEDICAL RISKS CAN BE ESTIMATED BY COMBINING KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROBABILITY OF AN EVENT OCCURRING WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE LIKELY SEVERITY OF THE OUTCOME

AT REF A, ARMED FORCES COUNCIL (AFC) GAVE APPROVAL FOR USE OF A CF MEDICAL RISK MATRIX. THE INTENT OF THE CF MEDICAL RISK MATRIX IS TO BALANCE AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF RISK TO THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF THE CF MEMBER WHILE CONSIDERING THE EFFECT ON THE OPERATIONAL MISSION. THE MATRIX PROVIDES A BETTER ASSESSMENT OF THE ACTUAL EMPLOYABILITY AND DEPLOYABILITY OF CF PERS WITHIN THE ASSIGNED MELS AND CONFIRMS WHETHER A MEMBER MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF U OF S. FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS CHARACTERIZED BY PERIODS OF TIME WITH FEW OR NO SYMPTOMS, INTERRUPTED BY EPISODES OF RECURRENT SYMPTOMS, DIRECTOR MEDICAL POLICY (D MED POL) WILL ASSIGN A LEVEL OF RISK AS SET OUT IN THE MATRIX. DIRECTOR MILITARY CAREERS ADMINISTRATION (DMCA), AS THE APPROVING AUTHORITY FOR AR/MELS WILL THEN USE THIS INFORMATION TO MAKE THE CAREER DECISION

WHERE CF PERS ARE SUFFERING FROM MEDICAL CONDITIONS CHARACTERIZED BY CONSTANT OR FREQUENTLY REOCCURRING SYMPTOMS THAT PERMANENTLY PRECLUDE THEM FROM MEETING ANY OF THE U OF S MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS OUTLINED AT REF C, ASSIGNMENT OF A LEVEL OF RISK IN THE ESTABLISHMENT OF MELS BY D MED POL WILL NOT BE NECESSARY SINCE MEMBERS IN SUCH SITUATIONS ARE PERMANENTLY IN BREACH OF U OF S REQUIREMENTS. D MED POL WOULD NOT NEED TO PROVIDE A RISK ASSESSMENT ON THE CONDITION OF AN INDIVIDUAL WHO, FOR INSTANCE, SUFFERS FROM CHRONIC BACK PAIN AND IS UNABLE TO PASS THE CF EXPRES TEST OR WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR

A REVIEW OF MELS FOR CF PERS CURRENTLY SERVING ON A PERIOD OF RETENTION IS BEING UNDERTAKEN SO AS TO DETERMINE IF THE CF MEDICAL RISK MATRIX CAN BE APPLIED ACCORDINGLY, WITH PRIORITY GIVEN TO THOSE SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE ON OR BEFORE 1 JUN 09. IF AFTER REVIEW OF THE MEDICAL FILE IT IS DEEMED THAT THE RISK MATRIX WOULD APPLY, NEW MELS WILL BE ASSIGNED. DMCA WILL REVIEW THE MELS AND IF APPLICABLE, INFORM THE MEMBER THROUGH THE C OF C THAT UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED OR MELS WORSEN, THE AR MEL DECISION WILL BE CHANGED TO INDICATE THAT THE MEMBER WILL BE RETAINED WITHOUT CAREER RESTRICTIONS AND NOT MEDICALLY RELEASED

THIS NEW APPROACH TO ASSESSING CERTAIN MEDICAL CONDITIONS DOES NOT COMPROMISE U OF S BUT IS RATHER A METHOD OF APPLYING THE U OF S PRINCIPLE BASED ON THE MOST RECENT MEDICAL PRACTICES, KNOWLEDGE AND RISK MANAGEMENT COMBINED WITH INDIVIDUAL ASSESSMENT. THIS USE OF THE MATRIX WILL CONFORM TO REFS B AND C AND WILL ALLOW THE CF TO RETAIN MANY EXPERIENCED PERS WHO, DESPITE THEIR MELS, ARE NOT ONLY CONSIDERED A GREAT VALUE TO THE ORGANIZATION, BUT ARE EMPLOYABLE AND DEPLOYABLE

SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Here is a link to the latest Casualty Admin. Manual dated May 2008.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/centre/engraph/coverpage_e.asp?subject=1&docid=21

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

The Soldier On program is looking at conducting a fitness and sports camp in Kingston the first week of December.

SOLDIER ON FITNESS AND SPORTS CAMP

1. THE CF WILL CONDUCT A SOLDIER ON FITNESS AND SPORT CAMP FROM 1 TO 5 DEC 2008 AT CFB KINGSTON.   THE CAMP IS FOR SERVING INJURED SERVICE MEMBERS, WHO HAVE UNDERGONE AN AMPUTATION, HAVE A SPINAL CORD INJURY, ARE VISUALLY IMPAIRED OR HAVE ANOTHER FORM OF PERMANENT DISABILITY.

2. THE OBJECTIVE OF THE CAMP IS TO PROVIDE INJURED SOLDIERS WITH PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE in PHYSICAL FITNESS AND SPORT PROGRAMS.  PHYSICAL FITNESS TRAINING AND SPORT HAVE BEEN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO CONTRIBUTE TO GREATER LEVELS OF STRENGTH, CARDIO RESPIRATORY FITNESS, AGILITY, BALANCE AND COORDINATION, ALL OF WHICH will CONTRIBUTE TO OPTIMIZING the FUNCTIONAL INDEPENDENCE OF INJURED SOLDIERS.         

3. COMMANDING OFFICERS ARE REQUESTED TO FORWARD THE NAMES OF INTERESTED INJURED SOLDIERS TO DGPFSS ATTN: GREG LAGACE AT 613-996-6444 OR LAGACE.GM@FORCES.GC.CA NLT 14 NOV 08.

4. THE CAMP WILL ACCOMMODATE UP TO 15 INJURED SOLDIERS. IF THERE IS SUFFICIENT INTEREST, A SECOND CAMP WILL BE OFFERED EARLY IN THE NEW YEAR. FURTHER DETAILS WILL FOLLOW. COSTS FOR THE PARTICIPANTS WILL BE BORNE BY DGPFSS.

5. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SOLDIER ON CAN BE FOUND AT www.CFSoldierOn.ca

SOLDAT EN MOUVEMENT – CAMP DE CONDITIONNEMENT PHYSIQUE ET DE SPORTS

1. LES FORCES CANADIENNES (FC) TIENDRONT UN CAMP DE CONDITIONNEMENT PHYSIQUE ET DE SPORTS DU 1ER AU 5 DECEMBRE 2008 A LA BFC KINGSTON DANS LE CADRE DU PROGRAMME SOLDAT EN MOUVEMENT. CE CAMP EST DESTINE AUX MILITAIRES BLESSES ACTIFS QUI ONT SUBI UNE AMPUTATION OU UN TRAUMATISME MEDULLAIRE, QUI SONT AVEUGLES OU QUI ONT UN HANDICAP PERMANENT.   

2. CE CAMP VISE A OFFRIR AUX SOLDATS BLESSES DES CONNAISSANCES ET UNE EXPERIENCE PRATIQUES LIEES AUX PROGRAMMES DE CONDITIONNEMENT PHYSIQUE ET DE SPORTS. LES ETUDES SCIENTIFIQUES DEMONTRENT QUE L ENTRAINEMENT PHYSIQUE ET LES SPORTS CONTRIBUENT A ACCROITRE LA FORCE, LA CAPACITE CARDIO RESPIRATOIRE, L AGILITE, L EQUILIBRE ET LA COORDINATION, TOUS DES FACTEURS QUI FAVORISENT L AUTONOMIE FONCTIONNELLE DES SOLDATS BLESSES.         

3. ON DEMANDE AUX COMMANDANTS DE FAIRE PARVENIR LES NOMS DES SOLDATS BLESSES INTERESSES AU DGSSPF, A L ATTENTION DE GREG LAGACE AU 613-996-6444 OU A LAGACE.GM@FORCES.GC.CA AU PLUS TARD LE 14 NOVEMBRE 2008. 

4. LE CAMP PEUT ACCUEILLIR JUSQU A 15 SOLDATS BLESSES. SI CE CAMP SUSCITE ASSEZ D INTERET, UN DEUXIEME CAMP AURA LIEU AU DEBUT DE LA NOUVELLE ANNEE. D AUTRES DETAILS SUIVRONT. LE DGSSPF ASSUMERA LES FRAIS DE PARTICIPATION A CE CAMP. 

5. POUR DE PLUS AMPLES RENSEIGNEMENTS SUR LE PROGRAMME SOLDAT EN MOUVEMENT, VEUILLEZ VOUS RENDRE A   WWW.CFSOLDIERON.CA. 

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all, I have attached a few pictures from my recent trip to Korea to compete at the World 24hr Running Champ. it was not a great day of running for me but non the less I was there and finished.The day before the event Team Canada visited the Korea War Museum and I had a couple of pictures taken at the Hall of Honour. I read through quiet a few names and James Allen and Jack Riddle were two that I remembered for the run the next day. (516 Canadian names on the wall and there were 1558 battle casualties)
http://www.korean-war.com/canada.html

We Will Remember Them

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Most recent CANFORGEN

CANFORGEN 202/08 CMP 086/08 301335Z OCT 08
SPECIAL ADVISOR FOR THE ILL AND INJURED
UNCLASSIFIED

I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE APPOINTMENT OF CAPT KIM FAWCETT AS SPECIAL ADVISOR TO CMP ON CF INJURED AND ILL PERSONNEL ISSUES. THE ROLE OF THE SPECIAL ADVISOR IS TO PROVIDE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS TO CMP ON THOSE ISSUES AFFECTING OUR INJURED AND ILL PERSONNEL

CAPT FAWCETT WILL BE AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT WITH VETERANS AFFAIRS, CF MEDICAL SERVICES, CF REHABILITATION, DCSM, CASE MANAGEMENT, SISIP, AND DGPFSS IN EMERGING, DEVELOPING AND FUTURE POLICY DISCUSSIONS AFFECTING THE RETENTION, TRANSITION AND CARE OF INJURED AND ILL CF PERSONNEL. SHE WILL ALSO ESTABLISH A CF PEER SUPPORT NETWORK THAT WILL SERVE CF PERSONNEL WITH MODERATE TO SEVERE PHYSICAL INJURIES

CAPT FAWCETT WILL ASSUME THE ROLE OF SPOKESPERSON FOR SOLDIER ON, THE UMBRELLA INITIATIVE THAT COVERS ALL THOSE CF PROGRAMS AND SERVICES THAT ASSIST IN THE CARE OF INJURED OR ILL CF PERSONNEL MEMBERS

SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Capt Royer from 19 Wing Comox sent me the following text and picture. Thank you to the Silver Totems OT hockey team for their continued efforts to support the Soldier On Fund and the CF.

The 19 Wing Silver Totems Old Timers Hockey Club held their 13th Annual Sports Camp at Glacier Gardens from the 17th to 23rd of August 2008 for one hundred young people of the Comox Valley ages 7-14.  While many in the Valley may think the Camp is subsidized by CFB Comox, it is interesting to note that the Camp is in fact funded strictly from player registration fees, and staffed by military members volunteering their own off-duty time.  Profits are used by the Totems throughout the season to offset the operating costs of the team, such as team jerseys and tournament entry fees.
Naturally, anything on this scale is preceded by months of behind the scenes work, and a flurry of meetings by the organiser’s, the 19 Wing Silver Totems. Lesson plans were built up, scheduling was finalised, the Admin Order was done up, jerseys were ordered and the final registrations were processed. In what has become an annual event, the Silver Totems volunteered to paint lines over a three day period at Glacier Gardens.

On Sunday the registration process was finalised, parents were given instructions, and children were fitted for jerseys before going out for a light skate, where the levels of students could be assessed by our coaching certified staff. On Monday the camp began, consisting of power skating, hockey fundamentals (on and off ice training), a tour of the Wing and various other recreational activities (swimming, soccer, ball hockey). Most students were particularly impressed with seeing an Aurora aircraft up close, and arguably, loved their time spent in the pool more than the ice time! Each day began at 0 Dark 30 for some groups, and continued to 1700 hrs. Parents were delighted with the results as the three age groups played a final intra-squad game on Saturday 23rd Aug.

The team agreed to match the $170 collected from the Saturday 50/50 draw’s for a total of $340 to once again contribute to the Soldier on Fund. This program will assist in the rehabilitation, through sport, of our wounded and injured CF members. The hockey club takes great pride in supporting this cause to help soldiers with disabilities strive to reach new goals.The team would like to thank all those who made the Camp such a success, especially 407 Sqn, 442 Sqn, and Wing ATC.  We would also like to express our appreciation to the 19 Wing Commander, his staff and supervisors, and in particular the Fitness Sports & Recreation team for their outstanding support.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Attached is a picture from a recent article in the Petawawa Post. On the right is Cpl J.C. Gauthier (son Chris in the chair) with Mark Reinert Pet. Civic Centre Manager along with Pet. Minor Hockey President Colleen Huckstep. Cpl Gauthier saw a need for a safe means to move a injured child or adult should the need arise. The chair was donated by the Pet. Minor Hockey Association and the Pet. Skating club.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Good Day to all;

I recently visited the Casselman Medical Cadet Corps #2804 ( http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cadet%20Corps%20DB/db_cc_2804.htm) to do a presentation on Soldier On. I was scheduled to speak for about an hour and ended up staying until the end of the evening to help the CO do some promotions. I showed the March 2007 TSN episode Bell Spirit of the Game "Soldier On" to start followed by a pp presentation of pictures. At the end they presented me with their corps coin. I was also introduced to Sgt Norman Bedard (retired) who was key in starting up the Casselman Corps in 2004. A very interesting fact about him is that he was in Vietnam as a Canadian CF member. I asked how many Canadians were there with him at the time and his recollection was around 160 both field officers and support trades. During this week of Remembrance I will be thinking about Sgt Norman Bedard and all those other Canadians who have served in areas not so well know.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Back