• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

Dimsum said:
Hmm...what's CADPAT and the zippers made of?  :whistle:

Which item?

The combat uniform itself isn't fire retardant... but its probably less "melty" and flammable than the issued underwear, long johns, fleece, goretex, polyester blend t-shirts and every other item issued...

Not really anything you'd ever want to be exposed to a fire while wearing...

Maybe that's why there was so much upset over wearing fleece toques rather the issued wool?

Side note for anyone who didn't know, "fire retardant" doesn't mean "fire proof" or even "fire resistant", usually it just means the material is self-extinguishing, and it usually means it doesn't melt or drip.

J9oAubc.jpg

O6wb1yu.jpg

https://twitter.com/CFCombatCamFC/status/1265623796641398784

https://www.facebook.com/CFCombatCameraFC/posts/4149820251725247

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cfcombatcamera/with/49938962711/

I didnt like the new pattern at first, but after seeing it actually used  i like it a lot more. Now can they just replace the tac vest please.

MilEME09 said:
I didnt like the new pattern at first, but after seeing it actually used  i like it a lot more. Now can they just replace the tac vest please.

Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.

dangerboy said:
Part of SOCEM is replacing the Tac-Vest, Fragmentation vest, Small pack, and rucksack. The are telling bidders it is to be a system so hopefully the components will work together better than the current system.

Plate carrier?

dangerboy said:

Each soldier needs to be able to modify their kit according to their body type, their role (Number 1 rifleman or Number 2 C9 as examples) and the mission.
Let's hope some big brains have the forethought to get rid of the "this must be carried by all in this location" thinking.

Dimsum said:
Plate carrier?

In my day these were the only plates we carried and we didn't have special pouches for them.  [:D

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 75
Blackadder1916 said:
In my day these were the only plates we carried and we didn't have special pouches for them.  [:D

Yes we did. The butt back on the webbing.

Blackadder1916 said:

Actually in 1997 in Bosnia, Velika Kladusa,in the support contingent the mat techs made plate bags for exactly that type of plate.

No f&cking kidding.

Blackadder1916 said:

I ditched my Melmac in my rucksack and carried a Frisbee in my butt pack.  Better at holding gravy and watery veggies, wouldn't snap in half if I fell on it and I was a sports day waiting for a place to happen.

dangerboy said:

As long as the infantry get some sway on it, I am sure it will, none of our infantry battalions use the issued vest to my understanding. Buddy of mine got posted to 2 VP (a vtech) and was promptly told no to his issued vest, brought out back to a seacan filled with approved rigs and told to pick one he likes.

Haggis said:
I ditched my Melmac in my rucksack and carried a Frisbee in my butt pack.  Better at holding gravy and watery veggies, wouldn't snap in half if I fell on it and I was a sports day waiting for a place to happen.

Plus if you're ever captured you can commit seppeku with the Frisbee

http://www.realultimatepower.net/ninja/seppuku.htm

;D

Haggis said:

I saw one of my guys do the same thing and thought 'The Canadian Army is going to be alright.' :)

Hamish Seggie said:
Each soldier needs to be able to modify their kit according to their body type, their role (Number 1 rifleman or Number 2 C9 as examples) and the mission.
Let's hope some big brains have the forethought to get rid of the "this must be carried by all in this location" thinking.

This quote appears in the 2002 edition of FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering and the 2012 TC 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering:

"Leaders must understand that each individual has a different metabolism and, therefore, cools down and heats up differently, which requires Soldiers to dress-up and dress-down at different intervals. Provided all tactical concerns are met, the concept of uniformity is outdated and only reduces the unit’s ability to fight and function at an optimum level."

Wonder who allowed for that nugget of wisdom to be put into a publication.

Ó Donnghaile said:
This quote appears in the 2002 edition of FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering and the 2012 TC 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering:

"Leaders must understand that each individual has a different metabolism and, therefore, cools down and heats up differently, which requires Soldiers to dress-up and dress-down at different intervals. Provided all tactical concerns are met, the concept of uniformity is outdated and only reduces the unit’s ability to fight and function at an optimum level."

Someone who has never almost killed one of his own in a Blue on Blue?

Just sayin' ;)

Ó Donnghaile said:

And the following sentences are:  "The extreme cold weather clothing system (ECWCS) is specifically designed to allow for rapid moisture transfer and optimum heat retention while protecting the individual from the elements. Every leader is responsible for ensuring that the ECWCS is worn in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommendations."

It's not suggesting that soldiers get to choose their own kit and wear it as they see fit, but that they wear the issued kit as it is designed to be worn.  The dress-up/dress-down concept to meet activity level is nothing new, if I recall correctly, we taught the same thing on winter warfare courses.

Jarnhamar said:
Plus if you're ever captured you can commit seppeku with the Frisbee

Step away from the Internet.  Turn around, face away from me, keep your hands where I can see them.

The combat uniform itself isn't fire retardant... but its probably less "melty" and flammable than the issued underwear, long johns, fleece, goretex, polyester blend t-shirts and every other item issued...

I found that out the hard way on my BWW. In the improvised shelter, while I was getting dressed for my shift watching the fire - because the guy before me decided to dump ALL of our goddamn firewood on at once, right before his shift ended - a giant ember landed on my arm after I put on the thermal top and melted right through.

I didnt like the new pattern at first, but after seeing it actually used i like it a lot more. Now can they just replace the tac vest please.

At least it looks better than what the Americans have to wear.

Back