• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

I'm on SQ right now, its 33 training days, mines April 4th to May 25th, the next one is April 28th - June 14th. There is a max of 36 people, for 3 sections of 12.

SQ right now is easy, but the pace picked up a bit today, we got our C9's, and they are pushing us harder for PT, but most of the PT is centered around ruck marches, which are no problem. If you pass BMQ no prob, SQ will be no prob.

I just read the thread and i saw soemeone say that they took the anti-armour out of SQ? Anyone have any info on that? Im kinda interested.

I recently graduated a Reg Force Soldier Qualification course.  The training conducted on the course has been unlike any other as far as I know.

We conducted training, including livefiring, with the MNVG and PAQ/PEQ laser sights.  We conducted Urban Operations training with Simuniton FX rounds.  We also changed the format of the exercises to a more mobile VS static exercise.

Everyone involved agreed that the training was excellent and way more relevant and effective then previous courses.

Currently we're going through the AAR process to improve the training.  My next course starts on 30 June 05, hopefully the training on that course will be even more effective. 

I just finished my SQ in Wainwright about 3 weeks ago. It actually wasn't to bad at all. Had alot of fun on it. We got to do a lot of weapons training on the C7, C9, and the C6. As well we got to throw a couple of grenades. PT wasn't to bad either, alot of running and ruck marches. Are instructors were pretty cool so that made it alot of fun.

So if anyones heading out there have fun, it flies by.

Later

What distances for rucking and running? Just want to gauge where I am right now.

Good to hear you had a good time.. a lot of people I talk to over-exagerate and blow things out of proportion (surprise surprise) and tried to make me literally terrified of the SQ. While I knew better than to accept it I must admit I was beginning to be concerned about it. So it's good to see some fresh and "real" feedback about SQ.

The rucks started at 5k and worked up to 13k in the end(though some were almost ruck runs). We did 2 ruck marches a week and 2 runs and 1 day of circuit training. Runs never got any longer than about 7k, which isn't bad if you run at a resonable speed. Almost died a couple of timed but hey what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I've noticed in Borden everyone hypes up SQ and makes everyone absolutly paranoid. I mean your gonna end up doing some things that suck but hey thats what makes it fun. In the end like I said I had a great time. Met alot of cool people and did alot of awesome stuff.

Best of luck to you

Later

Iv got three days left on my BMQ in the Whack, as I write this I'm on my second of 2 total days leave to date.  My SQ starts in about a week, Aug 4th.  Just out of curiosity, will I be getting the same (appox 2 days) of non CB leave?  Or does it really depend on the staff, etc.

It mainly depends on your staff, but you also have to remember that there will be a higher standard on your SQ you are trained so if you screw up punishment will probably be belt fed (CB'd, Inspections what not)

Bomber Rock said:
It mainly depends on your staff, but you also have to remember that there will be a higher standard on your SQ you are trained so if you screw up punishment will probably be belt fed (CB'd, Inspections what not)
Hey guys.  I finished my SQ at the end of May in Meaford.  I'll try to tell you about some of the stuff we had to do.

Our course was 7 weeks long plus about 4 days of pre-course for admin, get everybody their gear, etc.  There are 2 and a half weeks in the field, no drivers course, no anti armour, and depending on when you go the winter warfare may be drastically cut down.  A lot of ruck marches (or ruck runs, depending on your staff).  There is a decent amount of PT, but you can power through it not too bad.  We learned the c9, c6, grenades, section attacks, defensive positions, recce patrols, and a lot of other field and attack related stuff.  We were CB'd for the first 3 weekends, the length of cb depends on whether or not you pass the CO's inspection.  They are really big on inspections, especially everyone being exactly the same.

I dunno what else to say, it's not as bad as the rumours, but you have to put a lot of effort in and really try.  They don't mess around with the punishment, it's either inspections, pt, or charges.

2 Questions:

1)How heavy are the rucksacks?

2)In SQ are you grouped with many other different army trades? Or are there specific SQ's for the larger army trades such as crewman and infantry?

Depends what you put in it.  The standard loadout is not too bad...best I can compare it to is one of those water dispenser jugs, give or take.  It can get quite heavy though in some conditions like for cold weather exercises and especially if the ruck (particularly the valice's contents) get wet.  Shove your sleeping bags into the bivy bag and your other stuff in the top compartment into a garbage bag.

I can't speak for the reg force but in the reserves, quite often you are lumped with other similar trades, ie sig ops have MPs, clerks, supp techs, linemen on their BMQ/SQ in the comms res.

Fry said:
2 Questions:

1)How heavy are the rucksacks?

2)In SQ are you grouped with many other different army trades? Or are there specific SQ's for the larger army trades such as crewman and infantry?

Answer #1: The weight load marches on SQ range from a 5km march with a 10kg rucksack during week one to a 10km march with a 24.5kg rucksack during week five. This all culminates with the LFCPFS 13km march, commonly known as the BFT.

Answer #2: The SQ I just taught on was 100% infantry.  Our sister course was made up of equal numbers Cbt Arms and CSS.  It's luck of the draw.

Hey there,
Just wondering if a SQ is the same for all of the combat arm MOC's. Do they cut things out or is it all of the same training for every trade?

THXS

Not everyone need to take-it
Depend's on when you join and the trade you are
But I'm not sure if this policie change but I know 1 things, If you're in before january 2004 you don't need to do-it.
I thinks even the medic need to do-it know but probably the Airforce Moc don't need to.
(the bad things with this course is for, example, the medic. We CAN'T use fucking c-9, c-6, Carlo, M-79, etc...)

Derek said:
Hey there,
Just wondering if a SQ is the same for all of the combat arm MOC's. Do they cut things out or is it all of the same training for every trade?

THXS

SQ is the same for everyone. Also, you could have infantry, clerks, armour, mse ops, etc all on the same course.

But I'm not sure if this policie change but I know 1 things, If you're in before january 2004 you don't need to do-it."

Sdt.Boutin, where'd you get that info? As far as I knw, unless you're on one of the trial BMQ/SQ combined courses you don't need to do SQ, but if you did the BMQ only course, you still   have to get SQ.

I don't how relavant this is but i've heard from more than one person that sometimes they put reserve soldiers on reg force SQ courses, it happened to one of my freinds and some other soldier i met at a bus station who had just came home SQ. THet said they got more hardcore PT than evryone else, however I don not know if the length of th coarse was as long as a
reg SQ or reserve SQ. Can anyone tell me what all thats about??

MikeL said:
SQ is the same for everyone. Also, you could have infantry, clerks, armour, mse ops, etc all on the same course.

Sdt.Boutin, where'd you get that info? As far as I knw, unless you're on one of the trial BMQ/SQ combined courses you don't need to do SQ, but if you did the BMQ only course, you still   have to get SQ.
They just change their mind because last years, It was: All the new recruits, need to do the sq (the one who came in after june 2003)(or somethings like that) But now, I heard that it's now all military who came in before 1999 need to do it. That'S why I was wrong, and all the trade need to do-it

Reserve SQ was 4 weeks (this was last year not sure about this year, maybe it's the same.) And Sdt Boutin that was a little below the belt. :crybaby:

SQ is the best course ever, it consists of no sleep and lots of ammunition.  This summer in regard to topic it should be run at the begining of both july and august in AB and following the bmq in august one in chilliwack bc as well

Back