• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers spar with UFC heavyweight

Sig_Des

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/08/19/soldiers-spar-with-ufc-heavyweight#disqus_thread

Soldiers spar with UFC heavyweight 3
MATT DYKSTRA, EDMONTON SUN

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, AUGUST 19, 2011 6:19:02 MDT PM

Soldiers stationed in Edmonton got the chance Friday to spar with Ultimate Fighter Shane Carwin.

Carwin worked out with troops in the Lord Strathcona’s Horse armoured regiment of the Canadian Forces with proceeds going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.

The one-time interim UFC Heavyweight Champion said he was honoured to coach the Strathconas’ training camp.

“This is my first time on a base and it’s been a tremendous experience for me,” Carwin said. “All the way down from the leadership to the troops, these guys are a class act.

“Honestly, they made me feel like maybe I could be in the military. These guys are the true heroes out there that I look up to.”

Lt.-Col. Trevor Cadieu of the Strats joked that if Carwin wanted, they’d be more than happy to “set him up with one of our tanks.”

The Royal Canadians worked with Kamikaze Punishment to set up the training camp. Kamikaze Punishment is an organization devoted to bringing MMA fans and stars together to support the MS Society.

The regiment chose Carwin because of his perseverance when fighting Brazilian heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 on June 11 in Vancouver.

“This guy did close combat with his opponent, he had to deal with tremendous adversity,” Cadieu said, calling Carwin a “natural warrior.”

“He showed a never-quit attitude, and in short, he epitomized our motto, which is perseverance.”

Carwin was defeated by dos Santos via unanimous decision. Carwin has a 12-2 win-loss record featuring seven knockouts.

Carwin instructed 40 troops on both standing and ground defence techniques using various forms of mixed martial arts. He was assisted by two jiu jitsu experts from Brazil.

Soldiers were shown hand-to-hand combat and learned how to disarm an enemy with knife training.

Master Warrant Officer Rob Clarke said it was an honour to work with Carwin on a personal level.

“Using things Shane has gone through in his professional world, he helped train them and sharpen their minds as we head into battle very similarly to the way Shane does,” Clarke said.

As Carwin wrapped up his two-day camp with a question-and-answer session, he acknowledged the difficult work the troops have ahead of them.

“The reason we all have our freedoms is because of the troops,” Carwin said. “It’s an honour for me to be apart of this and be here. I’m very humbled.”

matthew.dykstra@sunmedia.ca

Cool, I'd love to see the CF embrace martial arts a hell of a lot more than they currently do.

The UFC is such a huge supporter of the people in uniform as well, I don't like Dana but it's hard to argue with some of the stuff he's done involving the troops.

The Regiment has a mixed Martial arts club that is strongly endorsed by our CO. Several of the members have been quite successful in their matches.

The soldiers as far as i know compete in their specialties on their own time. The club is a venue for training during a bit of work time, and furthering the knowledge of the uninitiated. Several of my soldiers have joined the club to increase their fitness level along with their knowledge.

Who do you have for instructors for this club?  Or do you just bring in different people to help train?

Thanks.

Beadwindow 7 would know the answer to that. He's a member of the club, as I'm just a supervisor with soldiers that attend.

Tango18A said:
Beadwindow 7 would know the answer to that. He's a member of the club, as I'm just a supervisor with soldiers that attend.

If you guys are looking to mix it up on the stand-up side, I do have some experience in taekwondo and can teach it in a way that would be beneficial to MMA having done some of that as well.  I'm also looking for a reason to get out of the office!

And if you are interested, please PM me for the name of a traditional Okinawan Karate teacher who lives in Edmonton.  He has done work with the police forces before, and possibly the military as well (he never mentioned that to me, but may have).

Tango18A said:
Several of my soldiers have joined the club to increase their fitness level along with their knowledge.
That is really "kickass".
I was a REMF, (and a Reservist at that), but this kinda stuff is great for fitness....and probably great for morale.

My Maternal Grandpa was a boxer , as well as a machine gunner with the Forces in Europe.....still carried his "Bren", still did his job, but in garrison, he fought in  company/platoon/batallion boxing matches.

I have a copy of one of his pay records that includes his pay from a "sanctioned" fight.

Hearing that the guys/gals that are serving now get to fight as a hobby gives me good, good shivers.

HS

Strike said:
  I'm also looking for a reason to get out of the office!

I didn't think PAO's were ever in the office. I thought you guys and gals were always chasing stories.  ;D

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Some of the guys from the team got invited to come out to an additional day with Kamikaze Punishment for some Muay Thai and BJJ this morning, some wrestling this afternoon with Carwin, and topping it off with a Charity Dinner this evening. An amazing opportunity, and I will add that Shane Carwin is genuinely a very nice guy.

The club was formed to allow members of the Regiment to train in various Martial Arts. We train 3 times a week on base, with most emphasis on Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and some kickboxing. We don't have any formal instructors, mostly different members who bring different things to the table (a Judo Black Belt, a Japanese Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt, a couple of guys who have done MMA). We do sometimes bring in some instructors from around the City, and sometimes the members get invited to train at other clubs in the region. We all bring something to the table.

Several of us have represented the Regiment in competitions in the Region. I did pretty well in the most recent Submission series Jiu Jitsu tournament, and a few of the guys have done VERY well in that one and others.

http://www.army.gc.ca/IAOL/143000440000588/HTMLFiles/WS_1-24_Aug4.pdf

Strike, didn't realize you were in the Region. I've been wanting to get into some more stand-up, and we can probably schedule some time during some of our practices. Shoot me a PM, and I'll let you know our timings and talk to the coach about it.

Honestly, the club is awesome, not only to learn, but to bring an emphasis to the combative arts.

Edit to Add: We had made the UFC Website too:

http://www.ufc.com/news/carwin-army-charity-ms-canada?ca

Grimaldus said:
No more TapouT T-shirts!

hehehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6HcWSE7-M&feature=feedrec_grec_index

I agree though, I hate those shirts.

ballz said:
hehehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6HcWSE7-M&feature=feedrec_grec_index

I agree though, I hate those shirts.

It's the people who wear the shorts and have never rolled or done any type of martial art that annoy me!

What are your feelings on people who have never rolled with a Gi >:D

I shouldn't say that too loudly I s'pose, what do you guys train with for this regimental stuff? Rolling in combats (especially ours with its collar) would almost be the same actually.

We had a grappling tournament at my unit a while ago, used combats as a Gi. Worked out pretty well.

I much prefer no Gi, most street fights dont have people wearing anything close to a Gi more times then not but you still need to know some of the Gi related chokes etc.

Back