• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of the bought & paid for media

There is no way that is all semantics, and that the fortunes of BCE directly impact CTV news... Just like the PM and the Clerk of the Privy Council have never tried to influence the AG...
Ok. But I’m simply asking if there is evidence that CTV receives any government subsidy? They claim not to, and claim to be entirely advertising funded. Ownership of a business within a larger corporate conglomerate doesn’t mean you subsidize them or their operations; if anything, companies that buy media outlets seem to constantly slash and seek savings. BCE specifically did that to CTV.

I’m completely open to any credible evidence that CTV receives government subsidy. I’m just not actually seeing any presented. Nothing you’ve said so far goes farther than simple supposition, and it’s directly contradicted by the company’s claims. Given how many people like to ‘gotcha’ the media, if CTV was receiving government money, I don’t think it would be hard to find that stated directly somewhere, with receipts.

The allegation from Chris Selley, based on evidence from tweets from Government MPs actually made, is that CTV is not in the wrong for stitching together two quotes of PP to make a third thing that he never said- they are in the wrong for firing the two story editors and for not backing the LPC, since they receive subsidies. The implication is already out there that some (maybe all Liberal MPs) believe that because “the media” get government subsidies, brought in by Liberals, the media “owes them”.

This is exactly a big of a disaster for the media landscape in Canada as I predicted would occur when the Liberals were stupid enough to bring in media subsidies and most media outlets were stupid enough to accept them.

I’m completely open to any credible evidence that CTV receives government subsidy. I’m just not actually seeing any presented. Nothing you’ve said so far goes farther than simple supposition, and it’s directly contradicted by the company’s claims. Given how many people like to ‘gotcha’ the media, if CTV was receiving government money, I don’t think it would be hard to find that stated directly somewhere, with receipts.
It's easy to be "open" to things you know aren't openly available on the internet.

The people CTV executives report to are paid by the government, it's not hard to see how that impacts what they do. If you choose to ignore that, that's entirely on you. I refuse to imagine that tens of millions of dollars of government "relief" have no impact on them.

It's easy to be "open" to things you know aren't openly available on the internet.

The people CTV executives report to are paid by the government, it's not hard to see how that impacts what they do. If you choose to ignore that, that's entirely on you. I refuse to imagine that tens of millions of dollars of government "relief" have no impact on them.

They are? Because what you’ve pointed to is them receiving the wage subsidy temporarily a few years ago, which a vast number of employers did, and which no longer exists or continues to offer them any benefit or incentive for anything.

What we CAN see is BCE making huge cuts to CTV when they bought them. Again, all I’m seeing is supposition, nothing remotely close to evidence.

Back