• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some people get it; some people don't

Pte. Jay said:
Really! :D I turn 16 in August, and the recruiter I emailed said that I could begin the application in February

Wow...that went right over your head didn't it............

CDN Aviator said:
No no, I realize I said "What we do", but I said that not because I'm a soldier "wannabe", but what I meant was that I fall under similar scrutiny from aunts and uncles :)

CDN Aviator said:

Not for the first time, it seems to me we need a smiley for that. 

bridges said:

This:
oyh.gif
  or this: 
whoosh.gif

;D

bridges said:
We have one:
                    :ignore:

.....because "some people get it; some people don't."  ;)

PMedMoe said:
This:
oyh.gif
  or this: 
whoosh.gif

;D

Ha!  I like the "whoosh" one - it comes across a bit more clearly.  The Ignore button is always useful too, of course.

Mods, can we add another smiley to the expanding list?  A picture is worth a thousand words!  Or nine, anyway. 

Pte. Jay said:
No no, I realize I said "What we do", but I said that not because I'm a soldier "wannabe", but what I meant was that I fall under similar scrutiny from aunts and uncles :)

Make your case politely, and then do what you think is right.  :nod:  They will come around.

bridges said:
Make your case politely, and then do what you think is right.  :nod:  They will come around.
They're fine with me wanting to make a part time job out of it, but not with my wanting to make a career out of it. But then again, I could really care less what they think :)

I generally don't bother explaining to people why I want to join, I don't see why we should have to prove to anyone aside from the CF that we want to join and why we want to join. I am known for being a bit arrogant though.

When I leave the house in the morning in my uniform, I look at my wife and say "I am off to defend democracy!"  She gets a kick out of it, but thinks that it is actually a good line.  We live in a great country and serving it is the biggest honour anyone can do.  As far as those who put it down...I say "don't let them rent space in your head".  If you ask those on civie street if they are truly proud of the company they work for; most could not answer it honestly; yet we can. There is something to be said about that.

my  :2c:

Steve_D said:
If you ask those on civie street if they are truly proud of the company they work for; most could not answer it honestly; yet we can. There is something to be said about that.

QFT.  I have a hard time understanding the whole "job-hopping" notion, where you work somewhere but are constantly and actively looking for the next bigger, better job.  I, for one, am glad I'm not on civ street. 

I am still in the application process but I do believe it's up to us to educate on many levels. Regardless of being in the CF.
I have found that many don't understand cos they can't relate
As human beings most times we are unable to say much because we have to relate first or somehow personalize it.
My response is always the same.
A life with purpose
Extreme Physicsl activity
Regiment routine, structure and discipline.
Lots of travel
Pension
Medical
Lots of opportunities.
Why wouldn't I want to join
As for having to kill. Every day I was leading an unhealthy lifestyle I was killing myself slowly but to defend my country is a very honorable purpose in life and in return my country is willing to take care of me
I may be naive to the politics but if I wanted to get into politics I would have specialized in political social science.

That terry rate vid was hilarious btw. Also thanks for the website from the other poster.
Cheers

Pieman said:
Someone who says "Why would you want to do that?" probably can't see themselves purposely putting themselves in a situation where they might end up getting killed. They are probably smarter than us. ;)

Saw this and HAD to respond, not sure if others have posted similarly...

You're right because most civilians do not live for a thrill at a club while drinking copious amounts of alcohol.
Most civilians do not smoke tobacco... Drugs... Neglect of physical exercise...

Dimsum said:
I have a hard time understanding the whole "job-hopping" notion, where you work somewhere but are constantly and actively looking for the next bigger, better job.  I, for one, am glad I'm not on civ street.
I think it's either:
1)  they haven't found what they "want" (for better or worse), or
2)  they don't know what they want.
While my current job is VERY good to me, few of my civvy jobs had the esprit de corps and cameraderie I remember from even Reserve service during some of the "days of darkness".

pretentious said:
Saw this and HAD to respond, not sure if others have posted similarly...

You're right because most civilians do not live for a thrill at a club while drinking copious amounts of alcohol.
Most civilians do not smoke tobacco... Drugs... Neglect of physical exercise...

What is your point?

Hello,

Service comes in many forms but all of them require a commitment to something greater then themselves. Soldiers, police, volunteers, etc all give their time and potentially their life for others. Why would someone do this? Why bother when you can just say home and watch tv, play xbox or ps3? To me, service is for people that demand more from life then just money. Humanity needs help and I couldn't expect someone else to stand up if I wasn't willing to do it myself.

I was lucky enough to be born in Canada so I can choose to serve, choose to get an education or choose do whatever I want. I am free and everybody deserves the same right as me.

Thanks,
Ben

zander1976 said:
Hello,

Service comes in many forms but all of them require a commitment to something greater then themselves. Soldiers, police, volunteers, etc all give their time and potentially their life for others. Why would someone do this? Why bother when you can just say home and watch tv, play xbox or ps3? To me, service is for people that demand more from life then just money. Humanity needs help and I couldn't expect someone else to stand up if I wasn't willing to do it myself.

I was lucky enough to be born in Canada so I can choose to serve, choose to get an education or choose do whatever I want. I am free and everybody deserves the same right as me.

Thanks,
Ben

You can just decide to sit at home, there certainly isn't anybody forcing you to serve. I'm sure nobody would hate you for not wanting to serve. The reason why I want to join up is to help this great country stay strong and free. Like you said, you were lucky enough to be born in Canada, where you can CHOOSE to serve. I want to help fight for the freedom of choice and opinion that we often take for granted in this fine nation.

Back