• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some people get it; some people don't

curious george

Inactive
Reaction score
Has this every happened to you (as a CF member or applicant)?

i've run into the third person in my everyday life who, after learning i'm applying for the military, ask, "Why would you want to do that?"  I can sense the underlying disapproval.  I know exactly why I'm applying and I don't feel I have to justify it to anyone (except to recruiters).

How do you politely respond to the person when it happens?  If I ever have the exceptional privelege of putting on the uniform some day, I wonder whether those same people will ask me, "Why would you want to do that?"

Perhaps it could be a "teaching" moment, but that takes a lot of patience.

The answer is right in your title. Shrug your shoulders, say it and move on.

I agree with the above.

In my case, I've been very fortunate - anyone I've spoken to about it have been very supportive. 

Someone who says "Why would you want to do that?" probably can't see themselves purposely putting themselves in a situation where they might end up getting killed. They are probably smarter than us. ;)

I have been asked this many question times when I was in the joining process, and my response was "I want to see what I am made of." People seem to understand that to a certain level.

Just walk away man.

then, get some distance......turn around and ........do what terry tate would do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8702Im2P18

ObedientiaZelum is right!

Anybody i have talked to was very supportive.

Or, tell them why you want to join, whatever your reasons are.  Keep it simple and honest while looking them in the eye the whole time.

Or say, "Well, I could do some wanker job like "insert their job title here" but who would want to do that?"

I had a Security Guard at the university ask me what I did in those dark years long ago, and I told her that I worked for the Government.  When she pressed me to be more specific over several questions, I eventually said I was in the Army.  She replied: "Oh!  How gross.  You kill people."  I then proceeded to ask her what she did.  She replied that she was going to Holland College Police Academy.  Yeah!  Right!  At the time, she would have been more likely to kill someone.  Many of these people really have no clue of what they are talking about.  It is best to ignore them for the most part.

curious george said:
Has this every happened to you (as a CF member or applicant)?

i've run into the third person in my everyday life who, after learning i'm applying for the military, ask, "Why would you want to do that?"  I can sense the underlying disapproval.  I know exactly why I'm applying and I don't feel I have to justify it to anyone (except to recruiters).

Yep, my girlfriend. I told her the exact things I told my interviewing officer. She still isn't stoked about the idea, but like you said, why should I have to justify my decision? Or do what Eye In The Sky said.

I would just walk away, if someone isn't respectful of your choices, why do they deserve the respect of a reply from you.

curious george said:
I don't feel I have to justify it to anyone (except to recruiters).

How about you stop thinking of it as "justifying yourself" and start thinking of it as "informing someone else" ?

Canadians, in large part, are ignorant of all things military and have their minds formed by media headlines and Hollywood movies. Play your part and tell people the reason's you are joining. Might be the first time they hear, in actual facts, of everything the military has to offer.

Remember, you are a recruiter too.

I tend to direct people toward this: http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
He does a better job explaining things then I currently can.

I'm in agreement with CDN Aviator - It is a teaching moment.

For many of the posters previous, you might want to consider hostility as simple ignorance. We serve Canada (and it's citizens) and that means more then just taking up arms in their defense - Since they pay our bills and give us our jobs the least we can do is explain why we do what we do. They might not all be supportive, but at least they can be aware.

Ayrsayle said:
I tend to direct people toward this: http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
He does a better job explaining things then I currently can.

I'm in agreement with CDN Aviator - It is a teaching moment.

For many of the posters previous, you might want to consider hostility as simple ignorance. We serve Canada (and it's citizens) and that means more then just taking up arms in their defense - Since they pay our bills and give us our jobs the least we can do is explain why we do what we do. They might not all be supportive, but at least they can be aware.

Thanks for that link Ayrsayle!  Fantastic!

CDN Aviator said:
How about you stop thinking of it as "justifying yourself" and start thinking of it as "informing someone else" ?

Canadians, in large part, are ignorant of all things military and have their minds formed by media headlines and Hollywood movies. Play your part and tell people the reason's you are joining. Might be the first time they hear, in actual facts, of everything the military has to offer.

Remember, you are a recruiter too.

This is exactly the problem; you've nailed it.  To him and probably to most Canadians, they think military is only combat because that's whats on the news.  I told him that combat arms is only one set of occupations.  I have seen my own transformation over the last several months coming to this board and doing my own research into the organization.  I remember being astounded at how many support occupations are involved so that those in the combat arms can do their job well.  In the media, you never hear about the guy or gal who fixes the wheels on the bus, or the cook who keeps up morale, or the pharmacist who organizes the medications, etc.

You have excellent advice.  I will do my part.

As for the link from Ayrsayle, amazing!  Sheepdogs.

I really appreciate all the comments from people here.

curious george said:
How do you politely respond to the person when it happens?  If I ever have the exceptional privelege of putting on the uniform some day, I wonder whether those same people will ask me, "Why would you want to do that?"

If you can answer the question then answer it. You do not need their approval, but neither do you need to fight them about it. Be honest with your reasons for joining and offer those.

I've been in the process for 3 years now and have been asked a lot. I tend to go into a long explanation to all of these people of all the reasons I want to join. Usually by the end of it whether they would agree or not they at least understand. Almost every time their answer has been similar to "Wow, that's great. Good luck!"

I currently work in health care, and my experiences range from working with the dying to the extremely disabled. I hear "I don't know how you do it" and "why would you want to do that?" all the time!

Always give the same answer. "Someone has to do it."

Funny thing is, when it came to the military, no one asked me why (except in the interview, of course).

I was asked this the other day by someone in your typical white collar office job.  My answer?  I asked him the exact same question about his job........

I tend to emphasize the opportunities, travel, adventure, challenges.....

...unless I'm talking with obviously hostile university students and their equally ill-informed left-wing fellow-travellers. For them, I merely say that "it's so I can burn villages." It's worth it, just for the variety of expressions transitting their faces.

Journeyman said:
I tend to emphasize the opportunities, travel, adventure, challenges.....

...unless I'm talking with obviously hostile university students and their equally ill-informed left-wing fellow-travellers. For them, I merely say that "it's so I can burn villages." It's worth it, just for the variety of expressions transitting their faces.

don't forget the child killer quip....that riles them up something fierce...  :nod:

Back