• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Something strange going on here.....

army_paralegal

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Something surprising about this link here; http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/suggestion/prog_e.pdf

It looks like they are allowing push-ups to be done on knees?

I thought you couldn't do them on your knees AT ALL!  ???

That document was produced to help you prepare for the test, not give you the test. I dont see where it states "It looks like they are allowing push-ups to be done on knees" regarding the test...

All that page shows is excercises to help prepare for basic, etc, plus I see no picture of someone doing the modified pushups. Your not allowed to do the modified(knees on ground pushups) for fitness testing, etc.

if they allowed someone to do pushups on their knees I will love my next fitness test, after all 19 push ups are so many for someone who has to do like 100-200 a day on course.
but ya.. thats rediculas.

It says "progression" for bent-knee push-ups (and for some other exercises). It's a way of going from zero-to-hero, rather than not doing them just because they are too hard.

I must say "army_paralegal", based on posts that you have made in any number of threads, that you have an aversion to doing pushups, at the least, to doing PT, at the worst. If the prospect of doing PT strikes fear into your heart, do everybody a favour, and don't join. We have enough people in the CF who don't want to be physically fit as it is, and we don't need any more. Watch the CF from afar, but don't join out of some romantic notion.

If it is too hard to do in it's "full" form, do the progressive style outlined in the link you gave. Work on technique and form, not numbers. Don't expect to go from doing half a pushup to 100 one-armed pushups in a week. It'll take time. And if you think that it's too hard, well, there's not much point in joining, because frankly WE don't want you, because if you want to cop out because of a few measly push-ups, what will you do under real pressure??? Quit?? Thanks, but no thanks.

Al

Allan Luomala said:
It says "progression" for bent-knee push-ups (and for some other exercises). It's a way of going from zero-to-hero, rather than not doing them just because they are too hard.

I must say "army_paralegal", based on posts that you have made in any number of threads, that you have an aversion to doing pushups, at the least, to doing PT, at the worst. If the prospect of doing PT strikes fear into your heart, do everybody a favour, and don't join. We have enough people in the CF who don't want to be physically fit as it is, and we don't need any more. Watch the CF from afar, but don't join out of some romantic notion.

If it is too hard to do in it's "full" form, do the progressive style outlined in the link you gave. Work on technique and form, not numbers. Don't expect to go from doing half a pushup to 100 one-armed pushups in a week. It'll take time. And if you think that it's too hard, well, there's not much point in joining, because frankly WE don't want you, because if you want to cop out because of a few measly push-ups, what will you do under real pressure??? Quit?? Thanks, but no thanks.

Al

FYI, I passed PT just two weeks ago.

Me and my disciples have been praticing push-ups for some time. I passed the PT after four tries!

And, why do you put my nic in quotation marks?

Besides, some of my disciples heard that in some militaries in other countries, they do it on their knees, countries like Australia, for instance.

this is canada son.. and in canada we do things the canadian way.. they may not be perfect.. they may not always be right.. but they will always be canadian.

sorry.. was told that in BMQ.. but ya.. its right.. we arent other countries.. do them our way.

army_paralegal said:
Me and my disciples have been praticing push-ups for some time. I passed the PT after four tries!

Besides, some of my disciples heard that in some militaries in other countries, they do it on their knees, countries like Australia, for instance.

Charles.....Charles Manson???? or are you the other guy with disciples

Tomas,

Trust me, you won't be doing 100-200 pushups a day on course.  You  might do 25 pushups every couple of days, if you're lucky.  Depends on your instructors though.  But when I went through basic, no one was doing 100-200 pushups a day.  That was last year!

Shaun

Im on my ql3 course right now in Kingston. the Sig Op course
and i do ATLEAST 100 just to get in and out of the training building..
add ontop of that PT and you are looking at atleast 100 more. sometimes more..

add ontop of that discipline pt.. buttons undone and what not:p and it could be even more.
trust me.. and my course is a good course that doesnt get alot of crap

Tomas said:
Im on my ql3 course right now in Kingston. the Sig Op course
and i do ATLEAST 100 just to get in and out of the training building..
add ontop of that PT and you are looking at atleast 100 more. sometimes more..

add ontop of that discipline pt.. buttons undone and what not:p and it could be even more.
trust me.. and my course is a good course that doesnt get alot of crap

There's a difference between the QL3 course PT mandate and the Basic Training PT.

I'm posted to St-Jean right now as an MP and I see what's going on with the courses and the PT doesn't come anywhere near what I did in Borden or what you're describing in Kingston.

Shaun

Just to clarify for those out there not yet in the forces, the number of pushups may look scary, but provided you pass the initial recruiting physical standards, doesn't mean you will suddenly be expected to do 100 pushups in a sitting. Physical fitness in the CF is based on progression, every soldier is expected to maintain a minimum standard and to be constantly striving to improve ones fitness. You may be ordered to do 100 push ups but if you can only do 20 you wont be failed  provided you are making the effort to do your best.

In the end should your physical fitness be below the standard you will receive extra pt training designed to bring you up to the standard. Do the most you can and thats all anyone can expect.

But be forewarned if you join the CF with the attitude that all you need is the minimum, your instructors will sniff you out and that will bring into question your loyalty, and commitment to the armed forces.

Trust me, you won't be doing 100-200 pushups a day on course.  You  might do 25 pushups every couple of days, if you're lucky.  Depends on your instructors though.

25 every couple of days?  I'm speechless...

On my reserve SQ in ValCartier, we were doing 25 push ups every couple of hours....

That's a good document for someone preparing themselves for bmq. Thanks for the link.

I'm a bit concerned about the 'me and my disciples' comment though. Makes me think of people like Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresh....whoa bad picture forming here  :eek:

Shaun said:
Tomas,

Trust me, you won't be doing 100-200 pushups a day on course.   You   might do 25 pushups every couple of days, if you're lucky.   Depends on your instructors though.   But when I went through basic, no one was doing 100-200 pushups a day.   That was last year!

Shaun

::)  If you ever join the Infantry you might...

Back in the day we where EASILY over 200 a day - heck I broke 200 a few times during an inspection...

The reason I put your nickname in quotations is simple: you are not in the army, so where do you get off using "army" in your nickname. And we don't have paralegals in the army (that I am aware of). Yes, we have legal officers, but not paralegals. I have been wrong before, so there shouldn't be any surprised looks if I'm wrong again.

You passed the PT test. Let there be much rejoicing!!!! Just so you're aware, the current PT test is woefully inadequate, and is based more on letting people feel good about themselves rather than being an indicator of fitness. If you can get 60 or better on the Cooper's Test (used as part of JTF2 selection), then I would be impressed....

I think disciples is not the word you are meaning to use: A Disciple (from the Latin discipulus, a pupil) is one who receives instruction from another; a scholar; a learner; especially, a follower who has learned to believe in the truth of the doctrine of his teacher; an adherent in doctrine Peers, colleagues, pals, sure. But who am I to question a paralegal with my limited edumacation??

Anyway, the point is: if you don't want to do PT, joining the military is probably not a wise move, especially since the powers that be (the CDS, CLS, et al) are on a major PT kick (finally!!!) and anybody who isn't up to the standard will (hopefully) be shown the door.

Al

we did a ton in wainwright. it really sucked but it got me in shape.. and thats what PT is supposed to do.. keep you in shape. A sig op has alot of physical work. as does infantry.. i dont see doing alot of pt a bad thing..

heck  I dont see doing PT in ANY trade a bad thing.

Back