• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sourcing Funds for D-Day Commemoration Overseas

ps387

Inactive
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

I am a Reg Force member and have been invited to France, on a personal and professional level, to attend the unveiling of a D-Day-related monument. I assume, to spite the budget cuts, the CAF will be sending members overseas to attend D-Day ceremonies. I am wondering if there is a way to apply to access some of these funds to assist with the cost of attending this event or any guess of who I should contact to find out?

Thx

If you have been invited on a professional level, meaning through the CF, then there should be no problem.  However, if you have been invited on a professional level as a photographer (and not an Image Tech), you might have to foot the bill yourself.

I would suggest checking with your Unit OR to start.

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried my OR and a few other people in the unit who were trying to help, but no luck.

As for the personal/professional statement...this has no connection to my occupation. I have been invited as a member of RCAF and because my great-uncle was one of the airmen killed at the crash site where the monument is being erected. There's a lot more to it, but those are the basics.

Who invited you?  You might look to them for some financial support.

I'd recommend contacting the Canadian Military Attache at our embassy in Paris and see if he/she's aware of the event; and do they plan on sending someone.  Then feel them out for what your options might be.  Maybe there's some resources available, that they would know about, for bringing across family members for commemoration events that are specific to individuals.  I had to visit our embassy in Canberra (Australia) years ago, to get my leave pass stamped, and ended up in the attache's office.  I suspect the folks in Paris might be a bit more busy, but hopefully they can return your call/email.  Good luck with your efforts.

PMedMoe said:
Who invited you?  You might look to them for some financial support.
CDS issued guidance in Oct 2012 which specifically addresses the issue of invitations to gala events and third party financial sponsorship.  You have provided a thumbnail sketch of the background, but it is possible this invitation may fall into this category since you are being invited as an RCAF member. Sponsorship of the event and whether "hospitality" is involved are important.

Essentially, before a CAF member can accept, these types of invitations require review and authorization by the commander of a command or a formation commander (ie the MGen or LGen level).  CDS direction is at link below:

https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/Library/PoliciesandRegulations/Corporate/Documents/Acceptance%20of%20invitations%20by%20CF%20members.pdf

My recommendation is to pass your request via your CoC up the food chain. 

(Edited for factual clarity and www link)

ps said:
Thank you for the reply.
I have tried my OR and a few other people in the unit who were trying to help, but no luck.
As for the personal/professional statement...this has no connection to my occupation. I have been invited as a member of RCAF and because my great-uncle was one of the airmen killed at the crash site where the monument is being erected. There's a lot more to it, but those are the basics.

Hate to break the bubble but chances are you're not going to get any support, you're on your own, unless whom ever it is that invited you, is willing to pay the costs.  You haven't been invited as a "representative of the RCAF" you have been invited because you are a member of the "RCAF" (you wear the uniform), so there is a distinct difference here.  The invitation is from them to you only, not them to the Government of Canada, to DND, to the CF and so on and so on....  I've had the privi to see such requests in the past.

The recommendations above to contact the CDA at the Embassy in Paris are admirable but if the ceremony is of any significance, there will be Canadian representation as directed by HHQ (DFL) as necessary.

Last resort, try contacting DFL Ottawa.

When I stated reading this, the thought that came to mind was to solicit funds through Crowdsourcing.  I have read newspaper accounts of individuals who have had projects or special events funded based on how well they provided their aim and requirements.
Good luck on your efforts.

Back