• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sparks fly at Quebec legislature over soldiers' presence (CBC)

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2007/06/20/qc-afghanistanprotest0620.html

A raucous exchange at Quebec's national assembly Wednesday forced the suspension of question period
after Liberal members in the legislature accused some of their Parti Québécois counterparts of failing to honour
Canadian soldiers watching from the visitors gallery.

The soldiers, part of the Armed Forces team in Afghanistan, were invited to attend question period on Wednesday,
where they were formally welcomed by house Speaker Michel Bissonnet, followed by a standing ovation. But when
question period started Health Minister Philippe Couillard accused some PQ MNAs of failing to stand and applaud,
which triggered a loud exchange of words and shouting across the floor.

Bissonnet was forced to end question period early to restore order.

The PQ defended its members, saying they welcomed the soldiers as much as anyone else, but like Quebecers
in general, they are largely opposed to the war. The so-called snub didn't bother soldiers visiting the national
assembly. "The welcome was great. The thing is there was a discussion at one point," said Brig.-Gen. Guy
Laroche. "That's fair. That's democracy." Laroche said it's important for Canadian civilians to support the
Armed Forces' efforts if they are to succeed in establishing peace in Afghanistan.

His urging comes as two Quebec-based antiwar groups vow to march in protest on Friday against Canada's
presence in Afghanistan, the same day soldiers from the Valcartier base are expected to parade through the
province's capital city in anticipation of their deployment in August. The Guerre à la Guerre and Québec pour
la paix coalitions hope to spark debate on Canada's role in Afghanistan. They are opposed to the traditional
soldiers' parade prior to deployment, calling it a charm operation that doesn't encourage real discussion
about Canada's mission abroad.

More than 2,000 soldiers from the Valcartier base outside Quebec City will travel to Afghanistan for a six-month mission.

ADD: Health minister, Phillipe Couillard, said it was also a personnal matter to him, as his son is a university student and part of the army.

Just my humble opinion; whether or not they are for, or against - they should have stood just out of respect. It is their ilk (ie politicians) who made the decision to send troops. We follow orders made the elected officials. Not standing (to me anyway) is like a slap in the face.

If one is in uniform  / member of Parliament in a foreign country, shouldn't / doesn't one stand when  the host country national anthem is played / flag raised: to show respect and decorumeven if one opposed to some their policies?

xo31@711ret said:
It is their ilk (ie politicians) who made the decision to send troops.

But not those in the Québec Parlement... I wonder if the Bloc in Ottawa would do the same...

It does not matter what level of government they are, as elected representatives of the people of Canada, including the citizens of Quebec, they owe the soldiers a show of support for their service to the nation whose citizens they represent.  That would hold as true for the mayor of Vancouver, the Territorial assembly at Nunavut, the Provincial legislature at any capital, the House of Commons, or the Senate.
    For the same reason we give respectful attention to MP's and MLA's who are inspecting or fact finding with the CF wether these individuals represent the riding of any of the soldiers present, the governing party, or even the political views of the soldiers in question.  As elected representatives of the Canadian people, they are owed the respect of all uniformed personnel, whatever we may privately think of them and the parties/philosophies they represent.

+1 mainerjohnthomas;

the personnel wearing the uniform do not make the decision to deploy; the politicians of a democratically elected government do; hence, our sons & daughters in uniform deserve the utmost respect in the tasks that our elected government order them to do.

This is how I read that last bit: the anti-war group says the soldiers should not parade through the city because it does not 'encourage real discussion' yet this group plans to march in a protest, seems a bit hypocritical to me.

PQ can sit all they want - it's a political act and they happen to be politicians. National Assembly is a place to display your respect and disrespect for this kind of thing. They feel they don't belong in Canada and don't share Canadian values, so they can do whatever they deem appropriate to display that - that's the point of legislatures. Now that being said, what they did was stupid because it's an obvious sign of disrespect for the forces, so they certainly pissed off little PQ supporters they had within the CF (pro-PQ, yet not separatist) and CF sympathizers within the PQ.

I'm proud he stood to point it out, and I would have expected it from any elected official, not just my father. These politicians made the political decision not to stand and have to explain their actions.

It's all subjective, i personnaly prefer honesty and integrity over hypocrite applause or cheering.

Everyone has the right to bear an opinion, like it or not. The PQ MP's didnt mean to be disrespectful,  applause is never an obligation, it's a show of appreciation. I don't expect these guys to be hardcore canadian patriots...

MC said:
I'm proud he stood to point it out, and I would have expected it from any elected official, not just my father. These politicians made the political decision not to stand and have to explain their actions.

Thank your Father for me.  :salute: :cdn:

Godspeed to the Van Doo battlegroup, and piss on the protestors and pundits.  I saw a brief clip on CTV featuring the course officer from my small arms.  A good man and excellent leader. 

But not those in the Québec Parlement... I wonder if the Bloc in Ottawa would do the same...

It's hard to believe the same stock that produced Paul Triquet also produced Chretien and Trudeau.  I suppose similar comparisons could be made across the country, though. 

In spite of the contributions of many Quebecois to the military in Canada, historically the majority of Quebec (especially the political and chattering classes) have little or no stomach for any military action.  These recent events seem somewhat simliar to the rhetoric that was spewed during the world wars.  Trudeau was a prime example, having took off travelling while good men were dying in the Scheldt.

It's like not standing and removing your hat for the national anthem. It is extremly disrespectful that someone, let alone a politician would refuse to do something like that.  :mad:

Osotogari said:
Godspeed to the Van Doo battlegroup, and piss on the protestors and pundits.  I saw a brief clip on CTV featuring the course officer from my small arms.  A good man and excellent leader. 

It's hard to believe the same stock that produced Paul Triquet also produced Chretien and Trudeau.  I suppose similar comparisons could be made across the country, though.   

In spite of the contributions of many Quebecois to the military in Canada, historically the majority of Quebec (especially the political and chattering classes) have little or no stomach for any military action.  These recent events seem somewhat simliar to the rhetoric that was spewed during the world wars.  Trudeau was a prime example, having took off travelling while good men were dying in the Scheldt.

Hmmmm,  there is an argument that Quebeckers during the Boer War and the conscription crisis of 1917 were just a whole lot further along in viewing Canada as a sovereign nation than English Canadians were.  Many of Les Canadiens believed that Canada should develop and impliment its own foreign policy rather than be the toady of Mother England in imperialist wars that had little if anything to do with Canada.

By the way it was not only Quebeckers that felt this way, egging on the debate from the sidelines were Farmers, Unions and the poor, it's just that the Francophones were the most outspoken.

As elected officials, even if they disgree with a policy or legislation, they are still obliged to respect the decision of parliament as a whole.  This is also true for judicial members and law enforcement officers - even if they disagree with a specific law or regulation they are still obliged to enforce that law or regulation.

Back