• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special forces looks at recruiting off the street amid shifting demands

mariomike said:
Special Operations are tasked with the provision of emergency services in unusual circumstances.

I've been retired for ten years. But, some I remember,

Toronto Police
Emergency Task Force ( ETF ) Tactical
Marine
Mounted
Dogs

Toronto Fire
Marine
HAZMAT
Heavy Rescue and Technical
High Rise
Air / Light

Toronto Paramedic
Emergency Task Force ( ETF ) Tactical.
Marine
Heavy Urban Search and Rescue ( HUSAR ) Building collapse, confined space, trench, high-angle.
CBRNE ( Chemical, Biological, Radioactive, Nuclear & Explosive )
Critical Care Unit ( CCTU )
Emergency Response Unit ( ERU )
Emergency Support / Multi-Patient ( ESU / MPU ). Where I spent most of my career.

These teams recruited via internal Job Calls.  There was no Direct Entry.

Were these primary tasks or secondary?

CTD said:

It’ll vary on the organization and the task. Some stuff like tactical teams / SWAT are generally full time in larger services, part time in others depending on resources and call volume. A lot of the search and rescue / public order type stuff will be side jobs- drop normal duties and go when called. CBRN also varies though in most police services it’s full time. I’m aware of a former Ammo Tech who was hired directly into a full time CBRN unit after requisite basic police training and the field training period all rookies do. I’m aware of a couple similar instances for direct entry into tactical teams immediately after recruit field training. You can probably surmise the CAF background of those individuals, and it’s a sort of special and rare case.

CTD said:

Only task.

After 1980, I always worked a bus or truck.

Being an MSE Op did not get me special consideration for Special Operations. But, it helped prepare me.

Special Ops paid a $1000.00 ( pensionable ) annual premium. Not sure what it is now.

Attachments

• ESU5_origmal.jpg
    ESU5_origmal.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 148
  • ESU5.jpg
    ESU5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 150
  • ESU7.jpg
    ESU7.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 149
Hamish Seggie said:
If I’m wrong correct me but I think the USN SEALs recruit off the street as well.

This is correct and the thing is about special forces is you have guys that join for this shit.
Instead of making them wait years to get in, this will allow them try to get in right away...

Friend of mine that did 10 years w/ the seals & is just in the reserves now while he attends university said this is the correct approach because he hated his time until he joined up w/ the seals and he was able to do that right off the street

NaturalCory said:
Friend of mine that did 10 years w/ the seals & is just in the reserves now while he attends university said this is the correct approach because he hated his time until he joined up w/ the seals and he was able to do that right off the street

Wait, I'm confused.  So your friend hated his (military?) time, but was able to join the SEALS off the street? 

So just out of curiosity did your friend ever tell you the colour of the boathouse?

Back