• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Speed, RCMP and 404s

NFLD Sapper said:
I got LAV III air brakes but no LAV III Driver Quals lol.

I got it too. Only LAV thing I did was load one on a flatbed and chain it down... that's about my experience with pointy green stuff.

Mr Plow said:
I"m just wondering what is the pre req for the LAV? Air brakes? Or is that included in the LAV course? If it's nothing major, then I honestly see no problem. And that is coming from the MSE field.

The pre req for LAV Driver are : DDC be qualified a "B" vehicle and air brakes.  The air brakes course is separate from the LAV Driver course.

Mr Plow said:
A DDC course with safe backing automatically gives you A1 B1.. but I strongly believe in a road test at the end. Not just for him.. but for everyone in CF.

You only get A1 and B1 if you have a full civvie license. I had a G1 when I started my 404 process, G2 later on after I was already qualified Milcot, LS, ML + trailers and troop lift, but couldn't drive staff car or pickups. Had to do 2 roadtests before I could get the A1 B1.... woulda been easier to get my full G, but it was a 6 month wait after booking in Kingston at that point.

I agree with the roadtest statement, may prevent a few pers from holding 404s for a while until they get remedial training.

NFLD Sapper said:
I got LAV III air brakes but no LAV III Driver Quals lol.

So do I.  After four days of Air Brake Course, a fifth day to do the LAV portion is not unusual in most places.  You need Air Brake for HLVW, so an extra day finishes off the week.  Next year you may get a LAV Crse.  You are all set.

PuckChaser said:
You only get A1 and B1 if you have a full civvie license. I had a G1 when I started my 404 process, G2 later on after I was already qualified Milcot, LS, ML + trailers and troop lift, but couldn't drive staff car or pickups. Had to do 2 roadtests before I could get the A1 B1.... woulda been easier to get my full G, but it was a 6 month wait after booking in Kingston at that point.

You were lucky.

CHAPTER 5

SECTION 1

DND DRIVER PERMIT POLICY

c. Members, excluding military (including contractors) from other countries operating DND vehicles in Canada, must hold a current unrestricted Drivers Licence issued in their name from their country. They must also be in possession of a medical report that meets Canadian medical standards, stating that the person is medically fit to drive. Only then the members may qualify for a DND driver’s licence. The TA has the final authority based on the information provided and driving competency/Road Test.

NOTE

A restricted or graduated provincial driver licence is not considered as a valid unrestricted (PDL) provincial driver licence.

If it was DND you where driving, I would think the RCMP in this case, should have let the MP's deal with it. You did have DND Plates.  I can say this now. When I started driving for DND during the Montreal Olympic Games, all I had was a Motorcycle Licence and it was good enough.

You know, the last time this guy was active was March 30, 2009, 21:40:17.

Back