• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Status on Victoria-class Submarines?

I've done some reading on submarines (Tom Clancy stuff) and IMO you have to be somewhat....different.....to be a submariner. I was on course with a cox from one of the subs and yes.....he was .....different.
Its part science and part black arts IMO.  ;)

You don't have to be "different" to come down to boats - but it certainly makes the transition to insanity easier  :nod:  (But as a man far wiser than myself once said, "insanity is often the logic of the accurate mind overtaxed").  Overall, a good day yesterday.  Dolphin 39!

Nice piece on CTV Maritimes 6 O'Clock news last night, where the Hon. Peter Stoffer showed his support for the boats, the crews and for hoping to see all 4 of them operational.

I hope all continues to go well for this program, I am getting tired of defending the sailors, navy  and the Conservatives to people who only read headlines.

Stacked said:
Put my name in for Subs yesterday (Sonar Op QL3 student) hopefully it works out.  Last I heard was the training system was backed up though.    God forbid I have to spend some time in the Surface Fleet :p.

I'm not a sailor and I hold those who are in high regard.....despite their drill ;).

Now, have you ever sailed on a warship, surface or otherwise? If not, that comment is unwarranted.

I may have mentioned this in an earlier thread and if so; apologies. I worked at the now defunct "First Canadian Submarine Squadron" from Aug 1990 to Aug 1992. As an engineer, I worked in the shop ashore so as boats came back from deployment, we would be given a share of the work requirements (no FMFs back then). I feel bad knowing what I do now in that our efforts were woefully inadequate.
That said, I gained a respect for this unique breed of sailors. Their devotion to their individual as well as group responsibilities is unmatched (and rightly so!). There were several attempts to recruit me by the likes of JJ and Mr Bramwell (those who have been around know who I mean) and though I applaud their efforts, my response was a resounding "F*** you!"..and I 'grew up' on steamers.
I understand the new boats are better for crew comforts but I still hold you guys in highest regard. It looks like you will be busy the next 12-18 months-know you have me at your back if not on your watch!

Stacked said:
Put my name in for Subs yesterday (Sonar Op QL3 student) hopefully it works out.  Last I heard was the training system was backed up though.    God forbid I have to spend some time in the Surface Fleet :p.

I think that last bit is a little harsh.  I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you, is there not a QL5 requirement to go subs to ensure you get a well-rounded knowledge of your trade?

When I left Victoria, they were doing mandatory sub screenings for certain trades - sonar was one of them - and they were doing it at the QL3 level while still on course.  The electricians were given that as well - I had to do alot of the medical screenings for them.

MM

My, how things have changed.  I don't recall ever seeing an OD on an O boat, regardless of trade...though, if you're going to force someone to go subs, those are the trades it's going to be in.

Occam said:
My, how things have changed.  I don't recall ever seeing an OD on an O boat, regardless of trade...though, if you're going to force someone to go subs, those are the trades it's going to be in.

Thats funny when I was there in 1988 as a sea cadet. Thier where quite a few OD's on the Onondaga

Stacked said:
Surprisingly I'm the only one on my QL3 course who asked for them.

Not really - you should hear all the excuses that come out about why people "can't" be submariners...

MM

The plot thickens....

Original Link

Crippled sub Corner Brook not fully inspected

CBC News Posted: Apr 27, 2012 8:53 AM AT Last Updated: Apr 27, 2012 8:52 AM AT 

The Royal Canadian Navy still doesn't know the extent of the damage to the submarine HMCS Corner Brook, which ran aground off B.C. last year.

The submarine slammed into the ocean floor in Nootka Sound on June 4. It ended up with a four-by-four metre hole in its bow after hitting a rock.

The navy's second in command, Admiral Mark Norman, compared it to a car accident.

"When you're looking at your damaged car in the intersection and you can drive it home, you don't really know how badly damaged it is," he told CBC earlier this year. "It is similar to a fender bender."

That was in February, before the navy knew the full extent of the damage to its submarine.

In fact, the navy says it's still assessing the damage to the sub. Minimal repairs are underway, but the full overhaul won’t begin until January after another damaged sub, HMCS Chicoutimi, is done.

"This period of minimal maintenance is programmed to primarily arrest system degradation while the submarine awaits her turn in deep maintenance," according to a sub fleet status update released this week.

In a statement issued to CBC late Thursday, the navy said Norman used the "automotive analogy in order to explain the damage … to the average viewer."

The submarine hit the bottom when it was 45 metres below the surface. It remained watertight and none of the crew was in danger, the navy said in February.

The navy's official board of inquiry blamed Lt.-Cmdr. Paul Sutherland, the sub's captain, for the collision.

Corner Brook is expected to be fully operational in 2016.

Yet to be picked up by the Canadian press, funny that..... ::)

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/1158de55c7914ba2ae037cf556588206/HI--Sinking-Exercise

HONOLULU — Navies participating in Rim of the Pacific exercises of Hawaii sank a decommissioned supply ship in waters more than 15,000 feet deep.
The Canadian submarine HMCS Victoria launched a torpedo that took down the former USS Concord about 60 miles off Kauai on Tuesday.

The Concord is one of three decommissioned ships the military plans to sink during the exercises. The Navy sank the former USS Niagara Falls in waters off Kauai over the weekend.

Environmental and costs concerns had prompted the Navy to observe a moratorium on using old ships for target practice. The Niagara Falls was the first to be sunk since 2010.

The Navy says the exercises provide crews the opportunity to practice tactics, targeting and firing at surface targets. It says this enhances combat readiness.

(Story distributed by The Associated Press)

Back