• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Staying at US military bases

gifrank

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know the link or sight of how to book accommodation's for my Family and I?

The navy lodge rocks! 

I stayed at the one at Naval Station Kitsap.  I would like to know if anyone has stayed at a navy lodge overseas?

I stayed at an Army base near Munich when I was a kid (army hotel, I don't know what it was called though)

Stayed at the Navy lodge at various locations, was always a great deal, just remember some bases are very busy and its sometimes on a "space available" basis only.

Did the US Army lodging too in Missoury ( Army Lodging it was called) and it was pretty sweet there too

Thanks allot, I asked my clerk and she looked at me as if I had 3 Heads.  We use to do it years ago, I just wanted to bring the family down. Thanks again guys.

Check out the Base websites, so instance Camp Pendleton has beach houses available for accomadations aswell.

Here's a link to the US Army MWR site with links to most of the facilities in the armed forces:

http://www.armymwr.com/portal/travel/lodging/

Is this reciprocal? I mean, if US forces members and retirees come to Canada, are we authorized to use your MWR facilities?

I hate to say this, Red 6, but the CF doesn't really have the equivalent to the extensive network of MWR facilities in the US.  A bit sad, really, considering countries like Australia and New Zealand do....

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-213095-902059.php

Stays are on a space available basis.

There is an organization called "Military Living" that publishes a directory each year of all military hotels, transient quarters etc across the US and Canada.  You can buy this book at any American PX.
My wife and I use it whenever we travel in trhe States, and have stayed in some really nice places for very low rates.  The directory may be available online...we keep it in the car and just phone ahead as we go.  It works well.

The Army Times also has one which is included in the subscription as a suppliment. 8)

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I hate to say this, Red 6, but the CF doesn't really have the equivalent to the extensive network of MWR facilities in the US.  A bit sad, really, considering countries like Australia and New Zealand do....

Not true; some Canadian Air Force bases have transient quarters that can be rented out. Not sure how extensive it is, but I've stayed at CFB Winnipeg (N), CFB Bagotville and CFB North Bay over the last few years. Not sure if other air force bases or whether the army and navy have the same setup. These quarters are also available for retired members. Just like the US facilities the quarters are available on first come basis or operational necessity, so make sure you phone early. The bases I stayed at had quarters for both single travelers and families.

True.....but in the US Forces, they are actually run like hotels.  They actually have 'Hotel' Trades in their Forces, where Service Personnel are trained as holeliers.  Our Transient Quarters are nowhere near the same calibre.

True.....but in the US Forces, they are actually run like hotels.  They actually have 'Hotel' Trades in their Forces, where Service Personnel are trained as holeliers.  Our Transient Quarters are nowhere near the same calibre.

Which is what I was getting at.  There's no network of "lodges", beach cabins, camping grounds and hotels in the CF held strictly for morale purposes - US MWR has a "hotel" at Disneyworld, for example.

Here's a link to many links:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/leavestay/

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Which is what I was getting at.  There's no network of "lodges", beach cabins, camping grounds and hotels in the CF held strictly for morale purposes - US MWR has a "hotel" at Disneyworld, for example.

The MWR is also great for renting equipment that you may otherwise own....like car top carriers, canoes etc.
Wish we had something similar in the CF.

Wow thouse links helped alot, I just got the weather forcast and everything for Thule AFB tomorrow.

CFB Bagot: 22$ for a suite. very nice.
USS Valcartier: 22$ normal room, 533

Retired AF Guy said:
Not true; some Canadian Air Force bases have transient quarters that can be rented out. Not sure how extensive it is, but I've stayed at CFB Winnipeg (N), CFB Bagotville and CFB North Bay over the last few years. Not sure if other air force bases or whether the army and navy have the same setup. These quarters are also available for retired members. Just like the US facilities the quarters are available on first come basis or operational necessity, so make sure you phone early. The bases I stayed at had quarters for both single travelers and families.

hello everybody, havn't been on the site in some time, I tried looking for this but didnt find any threads on the concern.

I do believe a soldier on leave can attain low cost accommodations by staying on a military base. CFB Edmonton hands out rooms for about 16 bucks a night. Ive never used this benefit and dont know a whole lot about it, but was wondering if our neighbours down south extended a similar courtesy to our soldiers and vice versa.

You see, i got a sister who's helping the disabled down in Atlanta, GA. and I thought it would be mighty sweet of me to make my way down yonder to see her this March. If Ft. McPhearson had some sort of transient quarters, It'd make the trip a whole lot more affordable, and be a source of interest as i have never before seen how the US runs their army bases.

If anybody had some knowledge to share on the subject i sure would be grateful

Wow.  That's a helluva long trip from BC to Atlanta.  No definite answer for you, but I would start at your own base accomadations.

Back