• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steubenville Rape Case

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone else been seeing reading about this ???  I have seen read bits and peices but seriously are people seriously defending these jackals saying they couldn't help themselves from raping an unconscious (drunk) teen?    WTF??!?!?  Than there is CNN going on and on about how these two dipshit's lives are now ruined, there had been so much promise.....and not one word about the ACTUAL victim.  FM I want off this planet....

recceguy said:
Links help. :nod:

sorry posted using my phone http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/the-real-horror-of-the-steubenville-rape-case-it-wasnt-wrong-say-many-twitter-users/article9880795/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Referrer%3A+Social+Network+%2F+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

I was reading that Globe article last night. It makes me sick. 

Probably one of the videos that sealed these cretins fate (not of the actual assualt, just them joking about it). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1oahqCzwcY&bpctr=1363781967 I wonder how funny they will think this all is when they get to prison and are on the receiving end.

The guy in the video Michael Nodianos, apparently had to leave Ohio State, after Anonymous outed him, and he started getting treats.......poor baby. 

Yep but as we have seen before, football in the US is a sacred cow.  Raping unconcious girls or child sex abuse is bad as long as it does not involve football.  :facepalm:

Crantor said:
Yep but as we have seen before, football in the US is a sacred cow.  Raping unconcious girls or child sex abuse is bad as long as it does not involve football.  :facepalm:

What??.......ya don't think many a pro hockey player up here didn't get traded "out of the blue" before?
Or that much sticks to the small town junior hockey players either??

Glass houses and all..............

And the CNN Reporter who started the whole mess apparently is outraged that she is being criticized. This story that was posted by my internet provided is posted under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act.

Poppy Harlow, CNN Reporter, 'Outraged' Over Steubenville Rape Coverage Criticism: Report

The Huffington Post  |  By Rebecca Shapiro Posted: 03/20/2013 9:34 am EDT  |  Updated: 03/20/2013 11:58 am EDT

CNN's coverage of the Steubenville rape trial verdict was met with an onslaught of criticism this week after network reporters stressed the impact the decision will have on the rapists, not on the victim. According to sources who spoke exclusively with The Wrap, the criticism is taking its toll on reporter Poppy Harlow.

Steubenville High School football players Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping an intoxicated 16-year-old West Virginia girl in August. The case garnered national attention because of the way social media exchanges and text messages provided evidence for the case. On Sunday, the verdict was handed down during Candy Crowley's CNN show. She tossed to reporter Poppy Harlow who had been covering the trial live from Steubenville.

"These two young men who had such promising futures -- star football players, very good students -- literally watched as they believed their life fell apart," Harlow said. Crowley asked a CNN legal analyst, “What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?”

The coverage sparked an online petition on Change.org, which has now received more than 230,000 signatures, demanding that CNN apologize. Harlow's report from outside the courtroom has been used as the primary example of what critics characterized as CNN's slanted coverage. The Wrap reported:

Meanwhile two insiders at CNN exclusively told TheWrap that the controversy had hit reporter Poppy Harlow, covering the events in Steubenville, particularly hard.
'Poppy is taking this extremely personally as a woman,' said one executive. 'She’s outraged that someone would think she’d do such a thing' as slant her coverage toward rapists. 'It’s gotten so out of control.

so let me get this logic

The girl gets drunk , passes out , then you OBVIOUSLY have to rape her ! .... I mean .... Who in they're right mind would take her somewhere safe , and actually let her sober up ???

it wasn't rape , they just had sex with someone who didn't approve it ....

I don't know how much slap in the face you have to give to put some logic in those kid's heads ......

I mean , I'm only 24 .... but ..... seriously .......

They act like if it's a shame for these kids that RAPED her ....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What??.......ya don't think many a pro hockey player up here didn't get traded "out of the blue" before?
Or that much sticks to the small town junior hockey players either??

Glass houses and all..............

Sure.  Didn't say otherwise either.

Was watching a couple of talking heads discussing the case after the verdict. The conversation spins into the social media aspects of teh story, and how kids today don't understand the consequences of what they post on line and how they use social media.

Direct quote "The lesson they should take from this is do not post anything that you wouldn't to come back and bite you"  :facepalm:

NO! The lesson to be learned is that you shouldn't do things like raping the girl passed out on the floor in the first place!

Haven't read everything on this, but I thought I saw (it might have been in that youtube video that moron made) were some people involved thought someone spiked her drink. 

cupper said:
Was watching a couple of talking heads discussing the case after the verdict. The conversation spins into the social media aspects of teh story, and how kids today don't understand the consequences of what they post on line and how they use social media.

Direct quote "The lesson they should take from this is do not post anything that you wouldn't to come back and bite you"  :facepalm:

NO! The lesson to be learned is that you shouldn't do things like raping the girl passed out on the floor in the first place!

Nope they don't understand, and as witnessed on that video, it seems people either find the situation hilarious, or are just plain apathetic.  You can here guys in the background saying yeah, Trent and Ma'lik raped her, and asking the other clown what he do if it was his daughter/sister.  But no one punches this clown in the face,  and no one alerts the authorities.  As for CNN, they are a joke.  A very sad joke. 

Hatchet Man said:
  As for CNN, they are a joke.  A very sad joke. 

Agreed. I watched some of the coverage the last couple days, and it was pretty disgusting. A lot of the emphasis was on the ruined football careers of these "exemplary" young men. What the coverage didn't explore is the sort of culture that breeds this sort of thing in the first place. These incidents are not isolated, and the immediate response by those who posted video and pictures exposes a far more alarming reality.

This is really sad, it is reasons like this that I abstain from social gatherings.

My facetious self must suggest that punishment for these crimes should be to become a eunuch. I also believe the other people present are also guilty of the charge by abetting the sexual assault.

Kilo_302 said:
.. What the coverage didn't explore is the sort of culture that breeds this sort of thing..

I concur.

Kilo_302 said:
What the coverage didn't explore is the sort of culture that breeds this sort of thing in the first place.
Now that would require them to actually be journalists and investigate some serious stuff, as we all know few are capable of that.  Ezra Levant is only one I can think of that does it on a regular basis (probably because he is a lawyer by profession, and never went to "journalism school")  and even then, what he does present is done more in mocking/infotainment style (obviously on purpose).

These incidents are not isolated, and the immediate response by those who posted video and pictures exposes a far more alarming reality.

Saw on a news feed for this case, another bunch of cretins in Conneticut raped a 13 year old. One of them had a prior rap sheet for armed robbery and assualt....but he was turning his life around  ::)  Same reaction on social media...one tweet, "Why is a 13 year old haning out with 18 year olds, she knew what was coming"???  Really the question should be why are adults hanging out with 8th graders.....

Hatchet Man said:
Saw on a news feed for this case, another bunch of cretins in Conneticut raped a 13 year old. One of them had a prior rap sheet for armed robbery and assualt....but he was turning his life around  ::)  Same reaction on social media...one tweet, "Why is a 13 year old haning out with 18 year olds, she knew what was coming"???  Really the question should be why are adults hanging out with 8th graders.....

As much as I agree with the statement regarding the Conneticut case, it should be noted that the sex was consentual AFAIK, but because of the age difference it was statuatory rape. That makes it in no way excusable, but it should be separated from any discussion about a rape culture, and instead noted as a part of a culture of underage sexual activities.

I still think the 18 year olds should get the harshest end of the law.

Just my :2c:

ublmeister said:
As much as I agree with the statement regarding the Conneticut case, it should be noted that the sex was consentual AFAIK,

Perhaps you shouldn't speculate, as the judge in this instance has sealed the details of the allegations, and the only thing to suggest it "may" have been consenual is an off the cuff remark by one of the investigators.   

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/connecticut-high-school-football-sexual-assault_n_2918093.html

Use your brain, you don't think that is might be possible that 13 year old girl may have been co-erced, threatened or intimidated to consent?  Football players tend to be rather large guys, and one of them is already up on assault charges.  You don't think that maybe this played a role in her thought process?  If it was entirely consentual why would the victim go to the police?  Maybe because it wasn't consentual.

ublmeister said:
As much as I agree with the statement regarding the Conneticut case, it should be noted that the sex was consentual AFAIK, but because of the age difference it was statuatory rape. That makes it in no way excusable, but it should be separated from any discussion about a rape culture, and instead noted as a part of a culture of underage sexual activities.

I still think the 18 year olds should get the harshest end of the law.

Just my :2c:

An 18 year old adult having consensual sex with a 13 year old huh?
That shouldn't be separated from any discussion about rape culture because that is exactly what the rape culture is.

That CNN reporter is an idiot. I can't stand when something like this happens and some asshole starts beaking off about the tragedy of multiple lives ruined and promising careers down the drain blah blah blah.  One life gets ruined, the rest is a well deserved form of punishment.

Make a horrible and harsh example of the people guilty of this (none of that he's young, he made a mistake, blame society) and just maybe people might start thinking twice before doing something like this.  As far as I'm concerned everyone who knew what was going on and either laughed or didn't stop it should have their identities splashed over the net and subject them to good old fashion character assassination.

ObedientiaZelum said:
As far as I'm concerned everyone who knew what was going on and either laughed or didn't stop it should have their identities splashed over the net and subject them to good old fashion character assassination.

Anonymous already did that.  :nod:  It's why the moron in the youtube video, got punted from school, and is under constant threats. 

Back