• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sub School: 4 part series on the RN Perisher course

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,612
Points
940
Perisher is said to be one of the toughest navy command courses out there and AFAIK some RCN Officers have attended it.  I found this fairly interesting to watch from the 'other side' of the ASW world.

A RCAF Aurora ended up in one of the episodes, seems like they got a RISER on them when they poked a mast up (a Block 2 Aurora, which had a pretty good ASW Radar).  Set Condition 1, rig for MAD!

Submarine School
 

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
3,454
Points
1,260
I'm watching it right now.  It's an awesome show. 
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,612
Points
940
It looks like a real brain-smasher;  the SIM training (brief glance at it...the location mostly) would likely be pretty intense as well.  I thought it was well worth the few hours.
 

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
3,454
Points
1,260
Eye In The Sky said:
It looks like a real brain-smasher;  the SIM training (brief glance at it...the location mostly) would likely be pretty intense as well.  I thought it was well worth the few hours.

Every single submarine officer (not even the COs, just the OOWs) I've met were the smartest people I've ever met for maths.  They pretty much have to be. 

I was onboard during one of their surface nav courses in my old life and after that, I realized I wasn't smart enough to do what they do.
 

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
3
Points
430
Eye In The Sky said:
Perisher is said to be one of the toughest navy command courses out there and AFAIK some RCN Officers have attended it.  I found this fairly interesting to watch from the 'other side' of the ASW world.

A RCAF Aurora ended up in one of the episodes, seems like they got a RISER on them when they poked a mast up (a Block 2 Aurora, which had a pretty good ASW Radar).  Set Condition 1, rig for MAD!

Submarine School

Thanks for providing the link. I've had some exposure to ASW training and found it very interesting to follow the demands and pressure/stress as they are being applied to these potential Captains.
 

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
951
Points
1,090
Dimsum said:
Every single submarine officer (not even the COs, just the OOWs) I've met were the smartest people I've ever met for maths.  They pretty much have to be. 

I was onboard during one of their surface nav courses in my old life and after that, I realized I wasn't smart enough to do what they do.


Agreed in application for myself also. 


Within the first half of episode 1 I was like “oh, well I’d be the first one booted off the course for sheer incompetence...”

When the narrator (Stewie Griffin once he’s grown up btw) is like “by using simple trigonometry, the students can figure out how far away the target is and how fast it’s moving...” I realized I’m either incredibly dumb or these guys are at a whole other level of technical professionalism I hadn’t previously appreciated.  (Btw, it’s a combination of the two)
 

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
512
Points
1,010
I used to think my mental math was pretty good for some stuff until I watched this...I'd have been the dude that had Teacher taking the boat down in a hurry.

I've heard a number of stories about this course...and have read real stuff about real dudes that have had to use it for real - "Code Name Caesar" as a for instance, is about a U-Boat that got taken out by an RN submarine off Norway that was sunk while both boats were submerged, without the benefit of guided torpedoes - all done by intelligence work, acoustic location, ded reckoning and math. "Sink the Belgrano" for something a bit more contemporary.

Cool series - thanks.

MM
 

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
308
Points
880
Eye In The Sky said:
Perisher is said to be one of the toughest navy command courses out there and AFAIK some RCN Officers have attended it.  I found this fairly interesting to watch from the 'other side' of the ASW world.

When we had the "O" boats, all CO and XO qualified through the RN's Perisher course. However, when the RN went all nuke, it ceased to have personnel trained in the different art of opearting diesel subs and ceased - for obvious reasons - to run a qualifying perisher for diesel boats. No RCN officer has qualified on an RN perisher since, as we wouldn't have submariners trained for nuclear boats that we could send out on the RN course anyway.
 
Top