• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Submarine Trades

I have always been curious in submarine service and was wondering the implications it could have on your career. I have looked around and for a marine engineer it looks as though you only need to be QL3 qualified (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5003-7-eng.asp). I understand that when you are looking to apply for it you mention it on your QL3 to your CoC. Does becoming a submariner effect your career progression? Do your duties differ much from what you would be doing on a surface ship? Also if at sea would it just be coastal patrol or would it be like the frigates where you can travel around the world? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

It could slow you down a little bit, since you would have to do a BSQ course and and sail to finish off your bsq ojt along with an AMOC qualification.  However VICTORIA has had a few OS Mar Engs onboard during this RIMPAC deployment and all of them seem to have enjoyed it.  As for the travel VICTORIA has spent the last 2 months in Hawaii and may go farther next year.

Do submariners have a different career progression (in terms of courses besides the BSQ), such as a different QL5 etc. or is it the same as the surface ships after the BSQ? Also if the subs aren't running what do they have you do for training, would you be able to do something like a exchange with a another nation (such as Australia and work on there subs) or is it just sitting around waiting for them to be fixed?

Eaglelord17 said:
Do submariners have a different career progression (in terms of courses besides the BSQ), such as a different QL5 etc. or is it the same as the surface ships after the BSQ? Also if the subs aren't running what do they have you do for training, would you be able to do something like a exchange with a another nation (such as Australia and work on there subs) or is it just sitting around waiting for them to be fixed?
Your QL3, 5, 6 and 7 for the MAR ENG (MOSID 00367) trade are generic and were initially Halifax Class centric but individual instructors have varied content to meet the audience requirements while remaining within the confines of QSPs. That said, 'class' courses generally follow QL5 and 6. I am not in the submarine world but did spend MUCH time at MSE Div at CFNES. As for what do you do when boats aren't running (in DWP), if you are seeking a qual, your unit 'should' do everything to AP you to an operational unit (through the PCC of course). That is not always possible though so you may find yourself at the FMF or School or MOG. Make the best of it and use your time wisely. You can still work on a qual (at least some reqs) even if you don't set foot near a sub.
One of the submariners on here can elaborate a little more I am sure.

Pat

Yo, I was wondering a few things about submarine service. If I'm a Navcomm and try to get posted on a submarine after my 3's, is there much chance of that happening, or are the east coast submarines pretty well crewed? If I do get posted to them, have they even started going out regularly or are they still in drydock? As well, how would my QL4 package be completed? Would I still have to go on heavies to get that signed off? As well any insight as to what it's like on Basic Submarine Qualification and submarine Navcomms would be appreciated. I couldn't find much on these forums.

Shipwreck said:
Yo, I was wondering a few things about submarine service. If I'm a Navcomm and try to get posted on a submarine after my 3's, is there much chance of that happening, or are the east coast submarines pretty well crewed? If I do get posted to them, have they even started going out regularly or are they still in drydock? As well, how would my QL4 package be completed? Would I still have to go on heavies to get that signed off? As well any insight as to what it's like on Basic Submarine Qualification and submarine Navcomms would be appreciated. I couldn't find much on these forums.

I am not completely certain but I believe NavComs still need to be QL5 qualified before they come to subs.  As to what the boats are doing WINDSOR is currently the only boat on the east coast right now and she is getting ready for her camber dive and trial right now.  VICTORIA just got back from sea this week and will continue sailing a lot more next year. They are also in the process of trying to crew up CHICOUTIMI right now as well.

You might want to pose the question under the NavCom sub heading in the Naval Trades thread and recommend too, you dispense with 'Yo' as an address. You could have left the word out and some may have given you direct answers already but I know for me, I ignored your question initially because of it.

Meh, if a greeting gives someone that amount of disdain for me, I'm probably not interested in speaking with them either.

Shipwreck said:
Meh, if a greeting gives someone that amount of disdain for me, I'm probably not interested in speaking with them either.

"Meh" & "Yo" are not very professional. I am pretty sure that the submariners prefer professionals on their subs.  I agree with Pat, it gives the completely wrong first impression.  I also suggest that you drop the attitude if you wish to have a career as a professional.

Yes! I overused the word "professional" for a reason.

:remembrance:

Steve_D said:
"Meh" & "Yo" are not very professional.

:remembrance:

I couldn't agree more there, Steve, but you must realize that when people leave work for the day, they're going to start using more colloquial terms in speech, especially in relaxed environments, like an internet forum. It has little bearing on one's work performance, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Tell that to the guy who got hunted down and fired from his job, because he "offended" someone on an internet forum.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/10/16/calgary-airdrie-woman-website-comment.html

You mean this guy? A man who used profanity and expressed contentment that an innocent girl died? You're right in the sense that, my comments, taken out of context, could apply to one of the more extreme scenarios such as what you referenced. Only on milnet.ca is using slang treated like rejoicing over a teenager's suicide.

Shipwreck said:
I couldn't agree more there, Steve, but you must realize that when people leave work for the day, they're going to start using more colloquial terms in speech, especially in relaxed environments, like an internet forum. It has little bearing on one's work performance, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

When I see people online using "Meh" and "Yo", I immediately start to tune the person out. It comes across as lazy, disinterested, and in some cases disrespectful. It gives the perception that the person is not able to form a simple coherent statement. Same with people that want to inject "like" between every other word in each sentence. Umm just makes them sound unintelligent. My high school physics teacher, who happened to be a Cdr in the Naval Reserve, whenever a student inserted umm into a sentence would start his reply with "What does momentum have to do with it?

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/40408/whats-the-origin-of-yo

Interesting read at that link on a word that you all seem to be in the fog about. You can also find it in the Oxford Dictionary, and it's been around from at least Shakespeare's time. Sure, "meh" was coined by The Simpsons, but if that word is riling you guys up so much, how do you survive in the armed forces where slang and crude jargon are abound? I won't list how many words I've figured out you can compound with **** or **** since I've joined. I'll tell you what makes people sound unintelligent to me, personally, and that is holier-than-thou attitudes over extremely trivial details.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=yo

Thanks for pointing me towards that - I would have never known.

But back to your last question, surely you've witnessed the curmudgeons who seem to use their position and rank to be little more than 'no' dispensaries. Resisting change is an assessment factor, dontcha know.

Shipwreck, you asked a question and I took the time to offer two suggestions; neither of which you have decided to take advantage of (by the looks of this and the NavCom thread). You're right, it's the internet, you can say what you want in any manner you wish. But, again, it is the internet and many like me, who probably would have been willing to help out will now simply walk away from this. Good luck.

Pat

When I spent some time with the 3/7th US Cav back in the cold war days they would answer "Yo" in stead of sir or Sgt when roll was being called, seems it was a Calvary tradition in the US. Other Army units not so much.

Back