• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Submarine Trades

That'll be helpful, actually, and I didn't post another topic because I think the Navcomm board is not as frequented as here. I got a message from a would-be submariner and I'm not positive yet, but I think Navcomm's need to be 5's qualified to be on subs.

I'll give the link a look after lunch, thanks.

I am interested in becoming a submariner.  Is this a competitive selection process?  What sort of screening would I have to undertake? Are the standards different than other positions in the navy?

Tortilla said:
I am interested in becoming a submariner.  Is this a competitive selection process?  What sort of screening would I have to undertake? Are the standards different than other positions in the navy?

it's quite an old issue. it might be better to try to open a new topic.

soldier07 said:
it's quite an old issue.

The post of January 17, 2018 keeps the issue "fresh".

soldier07 said:
it might be better to try to open a new topic.

We use this Sticky as a guideline,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/87278.0.html

From the Site Owner,

Mike Bobbitt said:
We do encourage topics to be posted into existing threads where possible. When someone comes along well after the fact it's typically better to find one mega thread with all pertinent discussion than many scattered threads. Sometimes there can be many, many scattered threads, and a simple search then turns into a laborious task to research all available results.

Tortilla said:
A lot will depend on what trade you are, not all trades are represented on subs.  There is also a submarine medical to pass.  DAOD 5003-7 is the reference.

"Eligible CF members who wish to serve in submarines may make this known to their CO at any time.

Career managers compile lists of CF members who wish to serve in submarines and process an application when the eligibility requirements are met by a CF member. Should there be insufficient CF members willing to serve in submarines to fill the vacancies, DGMC selects other eligible CF members in accordance with instructions issued by or on behalf of the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)."

Sub-normal said:
"Should there be insufficient CF members willing to serve in submarines to fill the vacancies, DGMC selects other eligible CF members in accordance with instructions issued by or on behalf of the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)."
Before Admin Order writers were paid by the word-count, that would read "impressment" (or "press gang.")    ;D

Sub-normal said:
A lot will depend on what trade you are, not all trades are represented on subs.  There is also a submarine medical to pass.  DAOD 5003-7 is the reference.

"Eligible CF members who wish to serve in submarines may make this known to their CO at any time.

Career managers compile lists of CF members who wish to serve in submarines and process an application when the eligibility requirements are met by a CF member. Should there be insufficient CF members willing to serve in submarines to fill the vacancies, DGMC selects other eligible CF members in accordance with instructions issued by or on behalf of the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)."

I'll assume the poster isn't in the RCN or even the CAF...so to start here is the basic info on what a DAOD is.

Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces corporate administrative direction is set out in the comprehensive collection of Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) that are issued by or under the authority of the Deputy Minister and the Chief of the Defence Staff

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5003-7.page  (this DAOD is old, Date of Issue: 2002-12-06.  Some of the trade names may have/did change).

2.1 There is an ongoing requirement for CAF members to serve in submarines. The submarine service offers a challenge to CAF members who wish to experience a lifestyle which is adventurous, demanding and responsible. However, living and working conditions on board a submarine are less comfortable than those on board surface ships, and each member of a submarine crew is required to perform many out-of-occupation duties associated with operational requirements in addition to normal military occupation duties.

Eligible Occupations

3.1 CAF members of the following military occupations are eligible for submarine duty:
a.Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface (MARS 71B, 71C, 71D);
b.Maritime Engineer (Marine Systems) (MARE MS 44B);
c.Maritime Engineer (Combat Systems) (MARE CS 44C);
d.Naval Weapons Technician (NW Tech 065);
e.Naval Combat Information Operator (NCI Op 275);
f.Naval Communicator (Nav Comm 277);
g.Tactical Acoustic Sensor Operator (TAS Op 278);
h.Naval Electronics Technician (Acoustic) (NE Tech (A) 283);
i.Naval Electronics Technician (Communications) (NE Tech (C) 284);
j.Naval Electronics Technician (Tactical) (NE Tech (T) 285);
k.Naval Electronics Technician (Manager) (NE Tech (M) 286), only with prior submarine experience as NE Tech (A) 283, NE Tech (C) 284 or NE Tech (T) 285;
l.Maritime Engineering Mechanic (Mar Eng Mech 312);
m.Maritime Engineering Technician (Mar Eng Tech 313);
n.Maritime Engineering Artificer (Mar Eng Art 314);
o.Electrical Technician (E Tech 331);
p.Marine Electrician (Mar El 332);
q.Medical Assistant (Med A 711);
r.Cook 861; and
s.Steward (Stwd 862).

Eligibility Requirements

4.1 To be accepted for submarine duty, a CAF member must:
a.have a minimum English language profile of BAB;
b.be medically and dentally fit to the standard set out in A-MD-154-000/FP-000, Medical Standards for the Canadian Forces;
c.except for those on a basic engagement, have at least three years remaining in their current term of service at the time of commencing submarine duty;
d.pass a pressure tolerance test; and
e.have the applicable qualification as set out below: [see website for table]

Qualifications

4.5 Non-commissioned members (NCMs) not previously qualified are required to attend the naval environment training program at the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School at Halifax, prior to commencing basic submarine training.

4.6 The three-month basic submarine course is loaded by Director Maritime Training and Education (DMTE) and conducted at the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School Halifax for both officers and NCMs. On completion of basic training, CAF members follow a training profile designed for each particular military occupation. Total training time, including basic and military occupation specific training, may be five to fourteen months in duration. Candidates are attach-posted or posted depending on the military occupation, duration of training and other factors determined by the career manager. Upon successful completion of training, the prospective submariner will join a submarine for on-job training.

4.7 A CAF member trained and qualified by a foreign navy may submit a request to their CO to have the qualification considered equivalent to CAF standards. The CO shall send the request through the chain of command to D Mar Pers.

4.8 A CAF member who has successfully completed the on-board qualification in submarines is:
a.awarded the submarine badge; and
b.entitled to wear the badge for the remainder of the CAF career.

I am extremely interested in becoming a submariner, however, information is somewhat scarce. Right now I have applied to the Canadian Forces as a Sonar Op and am waiting on a job offer. I know what my immediate future is going to look like; first BMQ, then Naval Environment Training, then Sonar Op trade training. My intent is figure out what my life is going to look like as I transition into this lifestyle.

When does submarine training start, and what is it formally called? Are there any prerequisites? How long is it?
What does submarine qualification look like? Classes, on-the-boat training, both? Do they still haze qualies? It's my understanding that submariner qualification entails cross-training on every system of the boat. Is this correct?
The badge is still dolphins, I saw that from the CBC's article on the Chicoutimi. What's the tradition when you get your dolphins? I know the Americans drink theirs, do we do that or something else?
I've heard there's only one or two sonar ops on a Victoria-class. Is this correct? If so, would I be going on the boat as a rookie, fresh out of training?
How's the food? How long is a patrol? How often will I get to shower? How's the coffee, or is it energy drinks nowadays? Do they still pay us extra? If so, how much?

Are there any resources I can consult? Books, articles, anything?

Hi, Im hoping to get in the RCN. I was wondering if MarTechs are deployed on submarines and what qualifications are needed? All i found on a google search was they need trades that might necessarily be amalgamated as Mar Tech, at this point. Im wondering if Mar Techs need certain training to qualify for Submarine work, or if its the same as sailing on a ship?

Thanks

SkelterHelter said:
I was wondering if MarTechs are deployed on submarines and what qualifications are needed?

For reference to the discussion,

Marine Technician ( MARTECH )
https://army.ca/forums/threads/126825.0
3 pages.

Yes Mar Techs are deployed on submarines and the can be posted to a boat on completion of the RQ OS phase of their training.  They can also spend their whole career in submarines.

I have a couple

What's the current posting length of the sub crews?

What is morale like in your opinion across the sub community?

Are they struggling to find candidates or do people look forward to getting the postings?

Thanks

Back