• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Subsidized Education Question

DaBones

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and plan on joining the regular force as infantry after high school. I read a little bit about the non commissioned members subsidized education plan(NCM SEP), and I was very interested in serving in the military for double the time my course would be. Here is the thing, I went into my local regiment to ask some questions in advanced so I can plan everything out for my future, and I asked about the NCM SEP. He asked what I was thinking about going to college for, in which I responded I would probably want to do fire fighting. He told me it probably won't happen unless I go to college to help me with a military trade. This doesn't seem to make 100% sense to me because the forces website states a guaranteed job upon graduation. I do not see why I would serve the military for double the time of your course, just to serve more time. I really do not have a problem with serving all that time, and may even serve longer depending on how things go, but I'm not sure yet if I want to be in the military for my whole life. I figure at some point I will retire and I'll want a civilian job, and fire fighting interests me. Any info on how the NCM SEP works in this situation would be much appreciated.

Under the www.forces.ca site, it doesn't show Fire Fighter NCM-SEP under the entry plans.

RECOMMENDATIONS
Fire Fighter is a very popular occupation and, as a result, very competitive. Successful applicants often have additional education in a related field or previous experience as a full- or part-time fire fighter.

I originally applied for Fire Fighter, this has been explained to me as one of the hardest trades to get into as a Civilian.

The NCM SEP is used to give a recruit the basic occupation training toward an initial career within the Canadian Forces, it is not an education program to supply a member with a second career when they leave the CF unless it happens to be relevant.
The guaranteed employment after completion of the NCM SEP refers to the time you would be required spend in the CF to repay the subsidization of the program.
So in other words you would find that the CF will probably not be interested in having you to join as Infantry and then pay for an NCM SEP for you to use when you leave the CF. Unless of course you want to attend classes/distance learning in your spare time, on your own dime. Some education money is available in this situation although usually only towards courses that are of use to the CF or relate to your current occupation, and the amount is very limited.

Fire Fighter does not have NCM-SEP.  I'm going in for Vehicle Tech which is NCM-SEP.  Bottom line, don't worry about it.  NCM-SEP is only for your job choice then that is if you are merit listed and selected for it.  From there the military will let you know how and when you do your SEP program.  That has made my initial contract quite long. 5 years.  I can see why.

I second what the other poster said about education.  You can ask your recruiter how many they are taking for the year and if they know the selection date to help you make a choice.  Also I received a print out of jobs and contract lengths.

Ahh I see. So it's only paid for if it's for an occupation in the forces. And that is also only if you are deemed good enough for the job and selected. Would SAR Tech have NCM SEP? This is also something I have been interested in, but am not sure if I would be able to afford the pre requisites.

I don't think they take SAR Techs off the street anymore.

You really need to talk to a recruiter about this and which programs are available for NCM-SEP. The only one I know of is Med Tech.

DaBones said:
Ahh I see. So it's only paid for if it's for an occupation in the forces. And that is also only if you are deemed good enough for the job and selected. Would SAR Tech have NCM SEP? This is also something I have been interested in, but am not sure if I would be able to afford the pre requisites.

No, it wouldn't be available for NCM SEP program. They already have tons of great applicants for it each year who pay for the educational requirements on their own. All of the most sought after jobs aren't part of the NCM SEP program, because who are already trained and educated are wanting those jobs.

When you go to http://forces.ca/en/JobExplorer/BrowseJobs-70 and see a job you want, click on "Entry Plans".

Here is the list of all NCM SEP programs:

http://forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#paidcollege-2

Back