• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sudan 2023 Thread- Discussion on Our Evacuation Capabilities

Ottawa deploys rapid deployment team to Djibouti to provide emergency response
The Canadian Press · Posted: Apr 21, 2023 11:10 PM EDT | Last Updated: April 21

liberal-caucus-20230308.jpg

Minister of Foreign Affairs Mélanie Joly, pictured in Ottawa last month, says the Canadian Embassy in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, has temporarily suspended in-person operations due to security concerns. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)

The federal government says it has deployed members of its Global Affairs Standing Rapid Deployment Team to Djibouti due to the volatile and rapidly deteriorating situation in Sudan.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said the Canadian Embassy in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, has temporarily suspended in-person operations.

The Rapid Deployment Team can provide emergency response, co-ordination, consular assistance and logistical support, she said.

The federal government says the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces are also planning for contingencies but gave no further details.

Roughly 1,500 Canadians registered in Sudan
On Thursday, Joly said Canada has no means of evacuating citizens from Sudan, where violence has drastically escalated between the country's army and its rival paramilitary force.

Global Affairs Canada has said it knows of roughly 1,500 Canadians registered as being in the northeast African country.

"The situation in Sudan is volatile and deteriorating rapidly," Joly said in a news release on Friday. "Canada continues to call for an end to violence and stands with the Sudanese people as they strive for peace.

"We are actively monitoring the situation in Sudan and working with neighbouring countries, as well as with like-minded governments and the international community to co-ordinate the response to this crisis."

sudan.jpg

Smoke fills the sky in Khartoum on Friday. Joly said Canada has no means of evacuating citizens from Sudan, where violence has drastically escalated between the country's army and its rival paramilitary force. (Maheen S./The Associated Press)

Joly said consular services remain available to Canadians in Sudan, but due to the security situation, these could be limited.

Officials in Ottawa are in regular contact with Canadians there, providing them with information and advice as the situation develops, she said.

The United States and other countries anticipate the violence to escalate and have been preparing to evacuate their citizens in Sudan.

Some of the heaviest fighting has been over airports.

The Pentagon has moved a small number of troops to a base in Djibouti to support an evacuation.

Gen. Mark Milley, chair of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff, discussed the situation with defence officials from Germany, Italy and Canada at a gathering in Germany on Friday, a U.S. official said.

One topic was ensuring that any potential evacuation efforts did not conflict. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the deliberations.

Trudeau let his mouth write a cheque his Defence Minister knew or ought to have known, we couldn't cash. This has been a Canadian tradition since Sir Isaac Brock called up the militias in 1812.

The problem has always been that no one in government cares to know what our capabilities or limitations are. They want to think we have a ready force like the Marines on standby, but don't want to feed the beast with funding, planning, strategy, or anything else that requires effort.

The CAF is an old, neglected German Shepherd in the yard that the homeowner hopes will protect them in the case of a burglary.
But we could cash that cheque…does the high readiness brigade not have a company tasked with NEO Ops?

Is that not part of the ‘road to high readiness’ anymore?

Apologies, but I can’t not quote my favorite tv show.

I was acquainted with an old time editor at our local CBC station .The English language was his religion and his religious texts were Strunk & White and the Oxford English Dictionary.

But we could cash that cheque…does the high readiness brigade not have a company tasked with NEO Ops?

Is that not part of the ‘road to high readiness’ anymore?
I was specifically speaking to our promise to field a 200 pers QRF for UN Peacekeeping, but I will loop in our NEO and DART capabilities as well.

Without getting into detail, we plan for it, but then rob Peter to pay Paul. I have seen shuffling of TO&E from NEO HR to Latvia, Kuwait, Mali, you name it. Op AEGIS was an excerise in closing the barn door after the horses get out, in that certain key elements of launching a NEO Op had been reallocated to other missions because we were spread too thin elsewhere.

Like I said in my previous comment, the GoC wants to think we have what the U.S. does in it's back pocket; but doesn't want to pay for any of it. That's kit, personnel, facilities, planes, trains, and automobiles. Then when they are asked to provide something, the CAF is left holding the bag to figure out how to see a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

This has been my experience across governments in my career and I bet many others.

Personally, I think responsibility for safety of the workers is more on the employer than on the Canadian taxpayer. If you want to go dig for gold in a warzone, good for you, but don’t expect a NEO company on call to extract you when things go pear shaped.
^^This^^

Provide an opportunity to get our people out, then get out of the whole thing ourselves. It's not our business and we have no business getting involved.

^^This^^

Provide an opportunity to get our people out, then get out of the whole thing ourselves. It's not our business and we have no business getting involved.

Companies that do the work abroad like that often do have risk-managed employee security solutions, just depends on how ‘risk-managey’ the solution is…

Companies that do the work abroad like that often do have risk-managed employee security solutions, just depends on how ‘risk-managey’ the solution is…
And absolutely none of them are going to pay for a professional Brigade or Battle Group sized entity to be in location to mitigate risk in the event of a government falling, or a civil war expanding rapidly.
*outside of Russia or China, who's wages for, and professionalism of, their PMC's are veneer thin.

There is no such thing as a Canadian High readiness BRIGADE!!
Bah, I know I know… I thought we were doing that thing that we do? You know, that uniquely Canadian thing where we call a Battalion a Division, 2 sections a Regiment, or like 3 companies a Brigade!

I’ll correct myself…

“Don’t we have a NEO tasked section sitting around in the high readiness platoon available whenever NATO calls on us?” 😉

I suppose having a dedicated NEO company just sitting around ‘in the event of’ being required while the field force is stretched thin doesn’t make a ton of sense. Even if it was structured the way DART is, it’s hard to quickly recall the NEO team if a few are in Latvia, some in the UK, maybe 1 or 2 in Poland, and another few either instructing on course or on course themselves.

And OP LENTUS is just starting up I imagine…

Bah, I know I know… I thought we were doing that thing that we do? You know, that uniquely Canadian thing where we call a Battalion a Division, 2 sections a Regiment, or like 3 companies a Brigade!

I’ll correct myself…

“Don’t we have a NEO tasked section sitting around in the high readiness platoon available whenever NATO calls on us?” 😉

I suppose having a dedicated NEO company just sitting around ‘in the event of’ being required while the field force is stretched thin doesn’t make a ton of sense. Even if it was structured the way DART is, it’s hard to quickly recall the NEO team if a few are in Latvia, some in the UK, maybe 1 or 2 in Poland, and another few either instructing on course or on course themselves.

And OP LENTUS is just starting up I imagine…
I think one of the LIB’s is supposed to be on IRU for this.
But I don’t think readinesses levels in the CAF (also impacted by equipment and personnel levels) are at a point that even if the GoC hadn’t been asleep at the switch would have made for a short notice deployment.

Some French SOF have been wounded while extracting some of their nationals.

The USN is moving more naval assets to provide a support base offshore.

There seems to be significant reluctance on the Int Community to secure the airport (probably due to shades of Kabul) so I extraction of nationals isn’t going to be accomplished quickly at this point.

And it will probably take 4-5 weeks to shift the Reservists from Class A to Class C again ;)
The Orderly Rooms should have this process working like a well oiled machine by now! (Because it is…) 😉

Until the locals start chopping bits off of your nationals on CNN... then the priorities change pretty fast ;)
If they've been given a chance to leave, and they don't, they've made their decision. Now, given a chance to leave and can't is a different ball of wax.

Back