• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suez Canal blocked by EVERGIVEN

There's a Captain having a very, very bad day. Their oversize container ship has accidentally pivoted and completely blocked the Suez canal.

Photo:
Realtime position of the ship: EVER GIVEN Current position (Container Ship, IMO 9811000) - VesselFinder
Dr Dre Reaction GIF
Oh ship....

Look closely at the shoreline by the bow in the picture above, and you'll see an excavator trying to dig out the bow; almost as if the protruding bulb in front of the ship (there's a technical name for it that I don't know) is rammed and jammed into the bank.

There was some momentum there, and notwithstanding what looks to be a fairly heavy load, the ship has ridden up the bank significantly, vis a vis the waterline exposure forward. This is going to take not an insignificant amount of MacGyvering to get things sorted out.

What is this 'bank suction' of which you speak, and about which I have no knowledge? I am fascinated, do go on....

leonard nimoy wow GIF

Wiki, but a decent description:

A former colleague used to live on the St. Clair River, which is about 1/2km wide in that area, and said you could watch the water recede along the shore when a big laker sailed by.

A former colleague used to live on the St. Clair River, which is about 1/2km wide in that area, and said you could watch the water recede along the shore when a big laker sailed by.

I used to go camping at Algonac State Park just a bit up and across from Walpole Island and quite enjoyed watching the freighters chug past on the St Clair. Same for the state parks along the St Lawrence. There's something disturbingly tranquil about sitting around with a beer in your hand watching a big laker go by.

🍻

...quite enjoyed watching the freighters chug past on the St Clair. Same for the state parks along the St Lawrence. There's something disturbingly tranquil about sitting around with a beer in your hand watching a big laker go by.

Beer in hand and watching freighters sail past, figured you were talking about Halifax harbour. :p

I used to go camping at Algonac State Park just a bit up and across from Walpole Island and quite enjoyed watching the freighters chug past on the St Clair. Same for the state parks along the St Lawrence. There's something disturbingly tranquil about sitting around with a beer in your hand watching a big laker go by.

🍻

Indeed. A few years ago I had a minor role in a lengthy Inquiry in S/W Ontario and living out of a suitcase while attending. Many evenings I would go down to the Sarnia waterfront and watch the world float by.

A former colleague's ex-father in law was a laker captain, and told the story of the time he lost control downbound at Windsor (can't remember if it was mechanical, but current was involved, not Canal Effect) and realized he wouldn't fit sideways under the Ambassador Bridge so went under it backwards. Apparently, reports were written.

That's a damn big ship to get stuck. I reckon there is an expert somewhere in the world that can get it unstuck.

Back