• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
I completed my CFAT this morning and found out I do not qualify as a SigOp (my math score was not high enough). Major bummer. :( But my 2nd choice is available - SuppTech.

It would really help me out if I could hear from some of you SuppTech‘s out there and what your trade is like. Typically, what do you do in a day? Are you in an office, work on a computer, etc.

Any info would help me out a lot. I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks.

I cant tell you much, but good luck and hope you choose a trade that you‘ll enjoy.

Better answered in Combat Support Trades forum.

Well for starters I am a MOC qualified supp tech in the reserves. There is tons of info I could tell you what exactly do you want to know? dont hesitate to ask ANYTHING!

Danny, please tell me what your typical day is like? What you like about it and dislike? I would need to know everything. Is the job primarily desk bound? challenging? boring? Are you tucked away in a warehouse somewhere with no windows and little interaction with humans? Lol. Whatever you can tell me would be great. What about advancement and training. Anything and everything will help me out. Thanks a million.

start practicing saying "no" and "we dont have it"

:p

I‘m not a Supp Tech, but I worked in my units QM for a bit, doing SuppTech stuff, mostly organizing things, unloading stuff, cleaning, I‘m blanking out on what else I was doing.

Hmmm... doesn‘t sound like a very exciting trade for me. I like to be out on the field doing stuff. Are you sure you blanking out had nothing to do with being completely bored? j/k I‘m sure there‘s plenty to do as a SuppTech.

Originally posted by D-n-A:
[qb] start practicing saying "no" and "we dont have it"
[/qb]
Don‘t forget ‘you‘re not entitled to that until you‘re _____ qualified.‘
If you are ______ qualified, refer to D-n-A‘s response.
:p

Don‘t know too much about supply techs, but I know that they do more then just being cooped up in the office....they get to learn how to drive them MLs (and possibly HLs) for one thing. But being a Log trade, I doubt they spend as much time in the field as most other trades.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do!

We do lots of stuff!! There is too much stuff to list! We do learn how to operate the HLVW,MLVW,LSVW. Warehouse work is a BIG part of the job but we do go out in the field too! Anymore questions?

Hey Danny,

I have many more questions.. hope you are prepared? :p

1. How long have you been a SuppTech?

2. Could you list some of the obvious stuff that you do on a daily basis?

3. What are you doing a lot of now?

4. How soon into your trade do you get to take driver training?

5. How often are you in the field?

6. What do you like about your trade?

7. What do you dislike about it?

Those are some general questions to start.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Pte. Bloggins:
Don‘t know too much about supply techs, but I know that they do more then just being cooped up in the office....they get to learn how to drive them MLs (and possibly HLs) for one thing. But being a Log trade, I doubt they spend as much time in the field as most other trades.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Pte. Bloggins...

You wouldn‘t happen to have a link to the ML and HL you are referring to? What type of vehicle are they?

....never mind. I found them. :)

As a Loggie formerly in an infantry unit, and now with a Svc Bn. Res CSS soldiers are in the field just as much as Res Inf. The main difference is the jobs.

Ok ummm

1.I have been a sup tech for 2 years now ( i joined as one)

2.Well usually we issue kit, clean kit, pack kit or equipment for somebody, rearrange something, etc.

3. Well right now we are getting ready for our winter ex so we are packing alot of tobaggens and getting the snowshoes, skis,etc ready.

4. You can take your driver training after you get your 3‘s, which you usually do in the summer.

5. Well every unit is different but my unit is in the field around 4-5 times a year, the same amount as the whole Svc Bn (cooks,EME,Admin,Mse op).

6. I like everything!

7. Nothing!

REMEMBER ANY MORE QUESTIONS ASK ME!!!!

Nothing???
you dislike nothing???

you havent been in long enough then.... :)

Bin Rat is a good trade to go. in our unit the Sup techs are a close knit bunch, they have alot of fun.

depends on the unit...

In the service Battalions there are usually quite alot..

in other units im not sure.. usually 2, 3 sometimes 4.

Now, I‘m not speaking from any direct experience here, but I‘m willing to bet a Sup Tech in a Res unit is going to be in the field just as much as anyone else. It‘s up to the Log people to make sure everyone gets everything they need in the field. I think it would be a good mix of the warehouse work and the field work. Plus, the warehouse work, and the familiarity you‘ll get with the computerized requisition systems used, will look amazing on your civvie resume. There is a good cry, at least here in Alberta, for people with logisitcal knowledge to manage warehouses and transportation lines.

I say give‘r go, and have fun :D

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the encouragement. I have decided to re-write the CFAT. I found the math section of the test quite challenging considering I have been out of school for...ahem...well, lets just say tooooo long! I have a math tutor now and if things still don‘t go my way in April (when I rewrite) I may consider the SuppTech trade. :)

Back