• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Support Our Troops - Stealing Magnets

Fyuri said:
I plan on painting one onto my car, instead of buying a magnet, once I own my own car... Let's see them try to steal the car...

Fyuri, for some reason I can see you doing this I don't know why, lol! :)

Cheers, Rebecca

My car is a bit overdone in some peoples eyes, but I like it.

I have the support our troops license plate cover, as well as the cadpat ribbon magnet on the back. My fave item though, is my foamy support our troops ribbon that hangs from my rearview mirror. Got it from a Veterens wife back in the summer. Oh I also have a yellow support dogtag that hangs inside my car, but no one can see it. Got it from someone who is overseas now, so it's just basically a sentimental thing I like to keep with me.

I orginally had the yellow magnet, but someone stole it. So I went out and bought the black magnet that says "some ******* stole my support magnet", and I put that on the opposite side of where I now have the cadpat ribbon. It seems to make a lot of people chuckle when stopped at red lights.

A friend of mine had one stolen off his car while visiting N.Y. City.  Whoever did it must be having a hard time explaining why he has one with French on it.    :D

If the problem persists, the website sells the removable decals for the inside of the window.  We have one on the glass for our front door.

I had one, and when I noticed it missing, I just assumed it had fallen off.
My first thought wasn't actually that someone had stolen it, but that I put it in a bad spot for wind, or that it had fallen off on a rainy day, or that I had stuck it on a dirty part of the car and it didn't stick so well. (Given that I don't wash my car often enough-this last scenario is most likely)
I took more care with the next one-washed the area where I wanted to put it more thoroughly-and I never lost it.
So, are there other circumstances that the magnets may not stick so well and fall off?  For example, I always thought that if it got really cold, they'd get stiff and not adhere as well as they should.
Just a thought. I'm sure some are stolen- but many must just fall off, no?

Since my Sport Trac has a plastic bed, magnets don't stick obviously.  I was able to get a Support the troops sticker ribbon at Canadian Tire.  FYI.

Here in Whitehorse I've had a ribbon stolen and my friend has had two stolen. That was last spring. Now that more people have them, there seems to be less thefts.

Haven't had any stolen yet, but, the wife traded with someone who liked ours. Traded a Yellow support ribbon for a Legion ribbon. :)

I ordered 3 online from the Canex in Petawawa.  One was on my car, one was on my work truck and a spare.  The two I had on vehicles both were stolen.  Even my boss thought that was disgusting. 

At the very bottom of the page are Decals that you can order for your window, costing $1.99.  No one should steal your window.  ;D

If, in the case that it is a bunch of Tree Hugging Granola Crunching Leftie Pinko Fruitcake Antiwar types committing vandalism, then it may make them think twice.  So screw the THGCLPFA and get a window decal.

Hey guys I had one stolen off my car  but with the second one that I bought I taped it on the inside of my window people can still see it but no one can take it

In October or November..not sure...but mostly November...

I had my magnet stolen from my car while I was at home when I discovered it I was outside and my neighbour was there... A few days after I got outside with my uniform, I was going to the cadet corps..and the same neighbour got out and gave me a new magnet telling me he did not know I was in the military...and he was sorry.

He said He bought a new one for me to show the respect he had toward the military even if I insisted that I was not reg or res that I was an CIC. he told me...you are wearing the uniform, you deserve respect. that is how I learned that he had done 28 years of reg army in the navy.

So that makes it okay for him to swipe your stuff?

Or was he sorry that someone else had stolen it and he was replacing it on that account?

I bought one for my car and one for my truck. The truck goes to St Mary's University with my son one day and the magnet disappears.....coincidence...I don't think so.

I bought one for my van and it was stolen within the 2 days after I took my husband to the airport to go back to Afghanistan. Now I have it put around the rear wiper (through the cutout) and it seems to work. Maybe it makes it a little more time consuming for someone to take and risk being caught!

Mine has been on my car for about 6 months, it is parked at my university about twice a week and so far I haven't had any problems and hopefully I never will.

Rice0031 said:
So that makes it okay for him to swipe your stuff?

Or was he sorry that someone else had stolen it and he was replacing it on that account?
He was sorry that someone had stole it and in a good samaritan he bought it back to replace it.

It is shitty that some one steals the magnet.

Here in Edmonton, my wife had one the whole tour I was away (Jan - Aug) and I've had one since I got back and to this day we still have them but they are quite common here in Edmonton so maybe thats why no ones lifted them.

It's pretty sad for somebody to swipe such a thing.

Teflon said:
It's pretty sad for somebody to swipe such a thing.
I would say that for the ones that have been stolen off my vehicles in the Oromocto/Gagetown area; but in the cases of mine that were removed in Springhill, Amherst, Newcastle & Toronto, I'm willing to excuse them on the basis that there isn't an MFRC or Canex available in their immediate area where they could purchase their own.

So I guess I have assisted someone who wanted to show their support for us, without the means to obtain them on their own. I'm sure their cycle just continues as the one they stole from me due to it's availability is stolen from them by another in the same non-Canex/non-MFRC situation.

Perhaps we should serialize them or put in GPS.... >:D

Due to the spare tire on the rear and all the useless badging the manufacturer put back there, there wasn't enough room for the large magnet. I used the little ribbon on the white background that comes inside the loop of the big magnet when shipped from Canex (possibly meant for your fridge). Seems to work well and has survived several carwashes. Perhaps its small size will help it avoid cowardly thieves. Stay safe!

Back