• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

surplus PMQ's Winnipeg

HADES 1962

Inactive
Reaction score
Kapyong homes for rent but only military families allowed

Alexandra Paul
One year after Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry moved out of Kapyong Barracks, 150 of their old army homes are still sitting vacant.
In Ottawa, Defence officials say plans to transfer the homes to the real estate market for redevelopment are tied up in proverbial red tape.
So they've come up with Plan B.
The homes are going to be offered back to the military -- and the military's civilian support staff of CFB 17 Wing Winnipeg.
The first new tenants could move in before Christmas.
"We'd like to rent them out as soon as possible," said Peter Rinaldi,
manager for strategic initiatives with the Canadian Forces Housing Agency.

Rinaldi said it's taking the military longer than they thought to transfer the land over to a federal lands agency for redevelopment.
"These planning processes can take years... so I can't say if it's (another) six months or two years," Rinaldi said. He didn't say what's causing the hold-up.
But for sure, the delay is putting National Defence in a bureaucratic bind. Defence can't rent to anyone but military and it can't let the homes stay vacant any longer either.
"We want to make sure Canadians have value for the property," Rinaldi
said.
Winnipeg groups, anxious to use the empty units -- single dwellings and
duplexes for low-income housing, say they are frustrated by the delay.
"They got the door open a crack. At least somebody is going to live there. I just don't think it's the right people," said Marty Dolin, executive director of the Manitoba Interfaith and Immigration Council.
The council runs a non-profit agency called Welcome Place that helps
refugees and immigrants find homes.
"We've got people. They've got homes. Let's get together," urged Carlos
Vialard, Welcome Place's settlement services manager.
The agency settles 400 immigrants and their families a year. With city
vacancy rates at record lows of 1.1 per cent, it's hard to find decent
low-income apartments in safe neighborhoods.
In the weeks leading up to Christmas, for instance, Welcome Place figures it will needs homes for 150 immigrants. They have space for 90 only.
"The rest will end up in hotels. So with a snap of the fingers we could fill these houses," Vialard said.
Community groups can't persuade Ottawa to release even half a dozen of the units for low-income housing.
And advocates for refugees in the city say the reason Ottawa is deciding to fill the empty houses back with military is embarrassment over leaving them empty so long.
"I think they're getting nervous. It's now been a year and they're not
saying anything new. And we have some major housing issues in this city.
There are so many groups desperate for housing," said housing advocate
Louise Giesbrecht, a member of River Heights Ministerial Advocacy Group.
National Defence doesn't have a mandate to shelter civilians, Rinaldi
countered.
The agency is responsible for putting a roof over the heads of soldiers and their families.
At some point the property will be turned over, Rinaldi promised.
It's already cost the military more than $285,000 to maintain the vacant houses.
The Second Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light
Infantry officially moved into its new home at CFB Shilo one year ago.

Brandon rolled out the red carpet for the celebrated regiment, welcoming the
550 members and their families in a ceremony at City Hall on Nov. 13, 2004.
Ottawa stated at the time the vacant Winnipeg base would be declared surplus and released through a federal development agency called Canada Lands Company.
In May, Canada Lands took formal title of half the 65-hectare site, with its 43 buildings such as barracks and warehouses, for $8.6 million.
But while the Crown corporation gets busy with planning proposals for the Tuxedo-area property worth as much as $53 million, the rest of the base waits for a final release, Rinaldi said.
alexandra.paul@freepress.mb.ca

Could not agree more piper,
I was kinda slack jawed when I read that this morning.

Maybe I'm just insensitive and elitist, but if they were the "right" people, they probably would'nt be homeless, now would they?  ^-^

Back