• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surplus stores

seccee99 said:
Does anyone know where i can buy a set of desert CADPAT's?

Thanks

Ummm, yeah, about that, you won't be able to get the real ones. I have zero clue about the fake ones, but the real ones go into quarantine when a deployed soldier returns. Not that there is anything wrong with them per se, it's just that they have to be returned and put through a cleaning process. That's about all I'll say on it. Happy hunting for the fake ones though.

Army Outfitters on Avenue Road, Toronto.

I'm boycotting Toronto due to Chairman Miller's idiotic firearms-related beeblings and shooting club evictions, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Edit for clarification: As a Surplus Shop, not a source for CADPAT AR. The closest that you are likely to come to CADPAT AR is MARPAT, which Dave has, but it is not the same.

Drop Zone Tactical has their CADPAT AR Recce Smock, but it costs.

I should point out that worn out & torn CADPAT clothing in both TW and AR will not be made available to the public via surplus stores.  If it's still in good shape when it is returned to stores, it is cleaned and goes back on the shelf for the next guy.
If it's not in good shape when it is returned to stores, it goes into a shredder (glorified tree chipper in LFQA) & disposed of as itsy-bitty pieces of fabric.

CADPAT is treated as a controlled commodity and must be disposed of, something to do with the copyright? or chemical compostion?? The Supply techs out there should know the real answer.

As was pointed out in an earlier post, you can certainly find used MARPAT in the surplus stores.
I know that the Cdn CADPAT was NOT supposed to be disposed of via whatever "crown assets disposal" is called these days.
If an area is screwing the pooch or if the rule has been ammended - so be it but, I got to see one batch being shredded about 2 yrs ago... and they certainly were being thourough doing it.

What about desert boots, do they sell them in the surplus stores too? Haven't been in one in ages.....

Mide as well get the whole kit and kaboodle......

There is no reason why you wouldn't find the boots.... (xcept that they might be beaten to hell)
why don't you go to one and find out ???

seccee99 said:
What about desert boots, do they sell them in the surplus stores too? Haven't been in one in ages.....

Most likely. Aftermarket ones can be found in a variety of places, such as CP Gear, One Shot Tactical, Drop Zone Tactical, and Soldier Gear in Angus. Most people prefer them to the issue ones. Sizing and shape vary between manufacturers, so mail order can be a problem. The closest source of which I know to you where you could try them on would be Soldier Gear in Angus, which carries SWATs and Magnums (I had two pair of Magnums purchased there for me by Borden Base Supply as the issued ones would not fit).

seccee99 said:
Mide as well get the whole kit and kaboodle......

Somebody is going to ask "Why?"

decoy said:
...pair of desert SWATs for $13!! Welcos for $20! ... $30 for a good set of Welco deserts

Used, I presume.

geo said:
I should point out that worn out & torn CADPAT clothing in both TW and AR will not be made available to the public via surplus stores.  If it's still in good shape when it is returned to stores, it is cleaned and goes back on the shelf for the next guy.
If it's not in good shape when it is returned to stores, it goes into a shredder (glorified tree chipper in LFQA) & disposed of as itsy-bitty pieces of fabric.

Just to add to this. The only time CADPAT isn't shredded into teensy-weensy pieces would be when they decide to turn some into rags for use on base. Again, the distribution of said rags isn't widespread, mostly just for checking oil or painting and the such. At least the manual states that some CADPAT may be used in this fashion. Other than that, as pointed out (and I've been PM'ing with the OP about some of the rules) they are either returned to stock, or shredded AND burned (at least that's how it was explained to me in Borden).

Boots, as they are not CADPAT, and therefore not controlled are available in surplus stores. Not sure how easy the desert boots are to find though.

chapeski....
I find the fabric in shirts and pants does not lend itself that well for oil & paint rags.... unless I'm wearing at the time of the spill ;(

Like I said.... nice big wood chipper in Montreal to do the dirty deed (for Montreal & St Jean)

Chapeski said:
Just to add to this. The only time CADPAT isn't shredded into teensy-weensy pieces would be when they decide to turn some into rags for use on base. Again, the distribution of said rags isn't widespread, mostly just for checking oil or painting and the such. At least the manual states that some CADPAT may be used in this fashion. Other than that, as pointed out (and I've been PM'ing with the OP about some of the rules) they are either returned to stock, or shredded AND burned (at least that's how it was explained to me in Borden).

Boots, as they are not CADPAT, and therefore not controlled are available in surplus stores. Not sure how easy the desert boots are to find though.

Actually, new message out just last week on cadpat and it's destruction ... I passed it on to the IC Clothing here, but didn't read it over well myself - but there's something in there about being able to dispose of locally in dumpsters (once destroyed etc). I'll have to put 'er up when I have time - that won't be tomorrow ... Freedom of the City Parade practise to go yell at - I'll need soothing beer for my throat come 1600hrs.  8)

We ordered up our own "glorified woodchipper" here last month so we can look after our own demil ... it's sitting on some desk in PWGSC now because it just happens to be more than that old 40K limit. Should see it arrive sometime next century.  ;)

Hey Geo,

I've never seen them used in this fashion personally, however in our little bible, not sure of the exact ref, but it does state that they can be used for rags if the condition warrants. If you want I can play Vern and find it for you tomorrow when I'm at work if you want. (She'll probably quote it verbatim and proper current reference just off memory, she's good like that!)

LOL
IIRC, the fella at stores told me the chipper was bought for St Jean... and the darned thing filtered down to Longue Pointe....

Wow, Vern you are psychic I think, writing that as I made mine. Being in the Combat Supply end I'm not in with today's new message. And yeah, should have gone with the Binford 5100 Chipper instead of the Binford 6100, that 40K limit is a pain isn't it? (Not that I know personally, but I know others that deal with it)

geo said:
LOL
IIRC, the fella at stores told me the chipper was bought for St Jean... and the darned thing filtered down to Longue Pointe....

Well, just so you know --- Halifax also has a big chipper for Demil purposes; that's where we currently take our all-expenses paid trips to when we are disposing from R&D --- someone has to be on hand to sign that "Certified Destructed IAW CTAT/ITAR Regulations" ...

Our equip will still go there.  ;) The shredder we ordered is strictly for textiles.

Well, you do get the odd paid trip. I guess it's a perk of the job sometimes. I bet you can't wait for the muncher though. :D Does it do highly classified docs too?

Back