• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survival and Prepping

Journeyman said:
A)  I'm vaguely aware of some site members who may or may not have useful knowledge of moonshine making;  I'd like to see a survival thread include their input.  I'm afraid my knowledge is limited to beer and wine.

B)  Get rid of "Forum suggestion."  Have the Mods move it to a suitable board, and giddy-up.  If the hesitancy concerns are valid, the Mods will deal with transgressions (that's why Mike pays Mods big $$$  :nod: );  if it continues, it'll get locked.  :dunno:

C)  Did I mention moonshine?

I know a retired LCol in SJ, NB who has perfected a jet black Jamaican Rum in his basement.  First true sipping rum I ever had.  His knowledge is incredible and he gives lessons.  Costs less than $500 bucks to set up.  Anyway, he brews and then mixes it with the mash a second time and brews again.  Apparently that is how they do true Jamaican rum to give that special taste.  Since he discards the end and the begin, six months in a one gallon fired oak barrel and he gets a real nice rum. 

Distillation without a license is illegal in all of Canada, so I'm not sure that's a discussion we want to have here. There are other forums (fora?) on the net where people discuss home distillation.

That being said, the practice of the police has been to turn a blind eye unless they receive a complaint.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Moved here to "Security and Emergency Services" for now until Mike has time to decide if he wishes to make a 'child board' for this topic.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

Has there been any more consideration  for a survival/prepping sub forum?

I was over at my parent's place a couple of weeks ago and talking with them.  They survived through the ice storm in Ottawa almost 20 years ago, but today they are less prepared than they were then should it happen again.  I discussed this with them a bit, and realized that there's only so much one can do to help.  I may have stashed a couple of cases of canned food (soup, beans, etc) from Costco in their house on them....because a case of 10 cans is, for them, a week's worth of food.

When I got home, I initiated a small self-stocking process....I'm now planning to have a 2 week stock of food at home in reserve.  So, a few more cases of canned soup/beans/etc tucked away in a quiet corner of the garage at home, that will occasionally get cycled into the kitchen and replaced.

I still need a drinking water solution, but I think it's quite reasonable for me to have:
-3 to 4 weeks worth of gasoline
-multiple propane tanks (BBQ/Etc)
-Generator
-2+ weeks of food
-1+ week of bottled water
-Better than 'average' First Aid kit with more than just boo-boo strips.

Items that I think I need to consider adding:
-Toiletries (a dozen rolls of TP, some tampons for the wife/daughters)
-Water Filtration system

In terms of my approach to this sort of thing, I guess I consider the 'worst case seen so far' which was for my area of the world, a few days without power due to Hurricane Juan (up to 18 days in some outlying areas I think it was) and a few more days with White Juan, (winter storm, knocked out power for a few days also.)

I realize that there are much more 'worst-case' scenarios that many people prep for, but in reality, in my corner of the world, having a couple of weeks worth of basic staple items that I'd have onhand anyhow makes a lot of sense. 

Are there situations where you need to have lots more stuff on hand?  Financial meltdown, EMP, Plague, Nuc meltdown, etc.  Yup, all possible.  Likely?  Errr....

In my experience, having up to a couple of weeks' ability to be reasonably self-sufficient in the basics make a lot of sense based on historical occurrences.

More than that is tough to justify in our family budget.

NS

NavyShooter said:
I was over at my parent's place a couple of weeks ago and talking with them.  They survived through the ice storm in Ottawa almost 20 years ago, but today they are less prepared than they were then should it happen again.  I discussed this with them a bit, and realized that there's only so much one can do to help.  I may have stashed a couple of cases of canned food (soup, beans, etc) from Costco in their house on them....because a case of 10 cans is, for them, a week's worth of food.

When I got home, I initiated a small self-stocking process....I'm now planning to have a 2 week stock of food at home in reserve.  So, a few more cases of canned soup/beans/etc tucked away in a quiet corner of the garage at home, that will occasionally get cycled into the kitchen and replaced.

I still need a drinking water solution, but I think it's quite reasonable for me to have:
-3 to 4 weeks worth of gasoline
-multiple propane tanks (BBQ/Etc)
-Generator
-2+ weeks of food
-1+ week of bottled water
-Better than 'average' First Aid kit with more than just boo-boo strips.

Items that I think I need to consider adding:
-Toiletries (a dozen rolls of TP, some tampons for the wife/daughters)
-Water Filtration system

In terms of my approach to this sort of thing, I guess I consider the 'worst case seen so far' which was for my area of the world, a few days without power due to Hurricane Juan (up to 18 days in some outlying areas I think it was) and a few more days with White Juan, (winter storm, knocked out power for a few days also.)

I realize that there are much more 'worst-case' scenarios that many people prep for, but in reality, in my corner of the world, having a couple of weeks worth of basic staple items that I'd have onhand anyhow makes a lot of sense. 

Are there situations where you need to have lots more stuff on hand?  Financial meltdown, EMP, Plague, Nuc meltdown, etc.  Yup, all possible.  Likely?  Errr....

In my experience, having up to a couple of weeks' ability to be reasonably self-sufficient in the basics make a lot of sense based on historical occurrences.

More than that is tough to justify in our family budget.

NS

Being in an earthquake zone, I've stashed quite a bit of camping gear, spare clothing and food in an outside shed that is lockable. Every year I donate the canned stuff to the food bank before it expires and buy new stuff.

Oh, and the 'Police Line Do Not Cross' tape, and Biohazard signs, in case we have to run for it, to deter 'snoopers' :)

I'm going to start small and aim for a month of supplies, followed by 3,6 &12.

I've had the power go out enough to appreciate how important being prepared is.  Food, water, gas, toiletries. It's probably the little things that add up.

I try to keep 30 days worth of food in the house, most stocking up on what we use, I keep some in the garage along with 15 gallons of water and water filtration system. I made up one small crate as the immediate use so people can eat easily while we sort things out.

Juan and White Juan (Halifax area, 2003) opened my eyes to what happens when 'normal people' have power cut off and stores close for a few days.  I was all over the HRM during that one.  People, it turns out, panic and are willing to fight over a spot at the only open Tim's in Lower Sackville about 70 hours after the all clear. 

The average Joe and Jane, in this day and age, is lost without data on their phone. 

We keep some 'hiking meals', water, naptha, etc close at hand after the summer camping season is done.  That is the start of hurricane season on the east coast, winter etc.  Whatever doesn't get used in the winter gets cycled into the spring/early summer camping, hiking etc.  I do the 72 hours minimum plan at this point but am a 'better to have and not need, than need and not have' thinker so I am always wishing I had more prepped.  But just getting thru the short strokes is a start...

Good thread.

The reason I'm putting a wood stove in my man-cave garage........

Bruce Monkhouse said:
The reason I'm putting a wood stove in my man-cave garage........

I caught the tail end of a conversation someone was having where they were saying they use a wood stove but said the Wynne Liberals are going to stop people from using them in houses or something? Could have just been bitching.

I remember reading a story last year about how Flordia made living off-grid illegal. I thought that was pretty weird how you can be homeless but the government can force you to use the city water system or whatever.

I have often thought that there is probably a good business out there for someone who can keep people's emergency kit stocked and refreshed for them. Most households, and businesses, are pretty bad at that kind of thing and I assume that it wouldn't take much work to conclude a few dozen contracts in a small town.

Let me know when you start one!

Jarnhamar said:
I caught the tail end of a conversation someone was having where they were saying they use a wood stove but said the Wynne Liberals are going to stop people from using them in houses or something? Could have just been bitching.
Montreal has strict rules about emission standards on wood stoves, but allegedly not to ban them, and at least one municipality in BC seems to ban them in new homes.

Ontario's climate change action plan seems to include $ for "A new program targeting northern and rural communities, including Indigenous communities, would encourage households to switch out older polluting wood stoves for new high-efficiency wood stoves", but I haven't found anything about a ban outside of some municipalities doing so.

Jarnhamar said:

I remember reading a story last year about how Flordia made living off-grid illegal. I thought that was pretty weird how you can be homeless but the government can force you to use the city water system or whatever.

It's not only in Florida...http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/rules-won-t-let-n-s-woman-live-off-the-grid-1.2498006

I don't think it is so much the province of Ontario as it is the insurance companies making it next to impossible to meet their conditions for coverage.

captloadie said:
I don't think it is so much the province of Ontario as it is the insurance companies making it next to impossible to meet their conditions for coverage.
Not impossible ...

That's why I said next to impossible. Ten years ago the insurance company sent someone out to inspect the wood burning stove in my den before they would approve the policy, and I had to provide proof that I had had the chimney professionally cleaned. I think I may have had to pay extra on the policy as well. God only knows what the requirements are now.

I just went through this, was not that hard http://www.wettinc.ca/

I went with a Dutchwest stove from Home Harware for our cabin

Sundays show and tell.

Rainy day so decided to throw up a quick post and picture, I'll probably flush it out and clean it up later.

I've been rebuilding my bug out bag to a sort of hybrid version.  It's easy to load these things down with everything you 'might' need to the point where BOB's that people build push 100+lbs and turn into a walking hardware store.  They seem to take on a more fantasy aspect than practical.  I redid my bag (still a work in progress) to set it up as a BOB/go bag that I can grab it and basically go camping with for a week with just a few worst case item additions.

few items are missing from the picture, work in progress etc..

16atvz6.jpg

Bag is a Mystery Ranch Satl 3-day assault bag.

Environmental:
Snugpak Merlin 3 sleeping bag. Light weight, more of a summer bag but I supplement that with a ranger blanket and bivy bag which adds quite a bit of warmth. I'll be adding a snugpak silk liner for even more warmth and I have 2 space blankets (which can also serve as bag up shelters). I'd switch it out with a heavier snukpak bag when it gets colder.

Arcteryx Alpha rainsuit. Worth double their weight in gold, buying "factory seconds" will save you a lot of money. I added an Arcteryx Atom hoodie for warmth. Used to use Snugpak elite jackets but these are just as warm (if nor warmer) and less bulky/heavy.
Snugpak Ionosphere 1-man tent. Might switch to a hammock down the road.
Toque, gloves, 2 pairs of socks, underclothes.

Nav/comms:
I keep my spare GPS (Garmin vista CX) and batteries packed in here.  Silva Ranger compass and 2 maps of the area I haunt. (gotta throw in a road map too)
School flip phone with prepaid calling cards-important numbers saved into the contact list
HYS tc-uv99 hand held radio.  Chargers for the hand held radio and cell phone included
Power Monkey Solar charger, going to upgrade down the road to something with a larger solar charger.

Cooking/Water:
Jet boil Zip with a few canisters- used to have an MSR whisper light thinking the fuel supply would be easier come by if the apocalypse hits but it ended up being a hassle and messy.
Cooking pot got destroyed so I'm picking up either a Jetboil cooking pot and pan or if I'm cheap, picking up one of those old British army style mess tins.
Wide mouth Nalgene water bottle- I've seen a couple little DIY projects where people build survival kits and put them inside the bottle, pretty neat.
MSR Dromedary 10L collapsible bag
Life Straw (not shown)
Water Tablets
Down the road I'll pick up some kind of water purification system.  Katadyn Hiker Pro maybe.
MRE's, dehydrated packs and other high energy food stuffs.

Tools:
Sog Fusion Tomahawk- I'm not sure if it's just the tan coloured version or it's a new feature but the handle on this one feels almost rubberized which is a huge improvement over the grip of the older ones (which felt plastic and slippery)
Esee CM6- Less for utility function and more for my morale
Gerber multitool
Couple micro lights. Surefire light with a rail attachment to mount it on a firearm. Headlamp (missing)
hygiene kit including baby wipes.
Glowsticks and arctic candles.
Small fire starting kit (not shown)
Small survival kit in an Altoids tin.

First Aid Kit:
More on that later, prescription pill organizers are pretty handy.

Firearms:
2rqh82x.jpg

One of the most agonizing decisions to make IMO. I''m leaning towards the KelTec Sub2000 9mm or KSG 12GA.  I like these because they're discreet and you can pack them away pretty easy. Both are non-restricted so quite legal on crown land. 
The Sub2000 has the benefit of range (pretty accurate out to 100m) and it takes pistol mags so you have 10 rounds at a time. With the longer barrel the 9mm hits pretty hard.
KSG gives you 14 rounds of incentive for bears wolves and  Freedom haters to go away. Attached a 4 round shell-holder but I'm considering upgrading to a rail-carrier (below) that gives another 14 rounds close by. Need to figure out how to attach a bayonet..

412-e7RlS9L.jpg

I saw the radio and immediately felt you'd be better off with a HF radio if you're talking about prepping/survival scenario. Unfortunately, it's incredibly difficult to find a modern HF transceiver in a small form factor like your HYS.

Have you thought about a crank powered shortwave radio? In a zompocalypse scenario, a lot of comms are going to revert to old-school HF/shortwave to get messages out. It would be your best way to RX info from other non-zombie people.

Back