• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switching to Infantry or staying as a Combat Engineer

S

Soldierup

I'll give a bit of a back story to my situation first. I originally signed up for the reserves as an Infantryman but due to the unit being almost at SIP or w/e the term is I was advised to look into another trade to ensure I was on a BMQ course. so I found an opening as a Combat Engineer and took it.Now I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum, to attempt to go back to the Infantry unit which now has plenty of openings, or stay in the Combat Engineer unit. Infantry was always something I wanted to do but I feel like if I go back I'm missing out, any advice from anybody?
The field exercises as an Engineer and exercises as an Infanteer? How often are Engineers put in an Infantry role on Operation?
How often would I be dealing with work like Bridge Building and Demining work as opposed to combat?

You should really think this through before going ahead with it - if that is your decision.

Perhaps you should have researched the Engineer trade before jumping into it.  If you are now in a Engineer unit,  you should be asking around and finding out what they do. 

*edited after clarification*

-Skeletor- said:
Perhaps you should really think this through before going ahead with it - if that is your decision.

Well the whole situation isn't anything that will look favorable for you..  you joined as Infantry,  but then OT'd to Engineer and are now wanting to OT back into Infantry all before going on a BMQ course(or have you gone on it?)

Perhaps you should have researched the Engineer trade before jumping ship and OT'ing into it.
I did do a bit of research on the trade, I am currently on a BMQ course now and when I switched over there were parts of my application I had to redo(now mind you all this was done before my app reached the CFRC), they said it was as if I never applied to Infantry in the first place.

Ack

*You applied for the Reserves originally wanting Infantry.
*Unit was full,  so you were told you can look at other units/trades.
*You picked Engineer and are now in a Engineer unit.
*Now you are considering going Infantry,  because you feel Engineer may not be what you want to do.
*Currently on a BMQ course.

-Skeletor- said:
Ack

*You applied for the Reserves originally wanting Infantry.
*Unit was full,  so you were told you can look at other units/trades.
*You picked Engineer and are now in a Engineer unit.
*Now you are considering going Infantry,  because you feel Engineer may not be what you want to do.
*Currently on a BMQ course.
That's my situation in a nutshell.

This thread may answer your question regarding what Engineers do on Operation(specifically Afghanistan combat mission)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108884/post-1199592.html#msg1199592

So in regards to the Afghanistan Operation Combat Engineers are applied as a specialty to an Infantry section?,So could an Engineer section be applied on a combat mission exclusively operating around them other than Route Recce? or are combat missions oriented around regular foot patrols and offensive-led operations intent on disrupting enemy operations left to the Infantry with the potential of Engineer support?

Soldierup said:
So in regards to the Afghanistan Operation Combat Engineers are applied as a specialty to an Infantry section?,So could an Engineer section be applied on a combat mission exclusively operating around them other than Route Recce? or are combat missions oriented around regular foot patrols and offensive-led operations intent on disrupting enemy operations left to the Infantry with the potential of Engineer support?

Yes.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm commenting from the perspective of an American soldier, and things might be slightly different...

But from what I can see, what in the the Canadian forces they call a combat engineer is an extremely broad field that covers what in the U.S. is divided into many different specialties.  Thus, you could be assigned to anything from a non-combat support unit purifying water with infantry or military police taking care of all of your security needs, or a front line infantry unit acting as a rifleman most of the time, stopping occasionally to blow up an obstacle in the path of an invasion force.

It seems to me to be a very versatile profession with the potential to be extremely interesting depending on who you're attached to in any given deployment or mission.

Let me be alittle more precise. Would the Engineer section go into an area lets say to observe enemy presence in the camp and then plan their attack?

Mostly they sit in the rear designing ever more cunning ways to get the soft caramel centre into the caramilk bars.

Soldierup said:
Let me be alittle more precise. Would the Engineer section go into an area lets say to observe enemy presence in the camp and then plan their attack?

Scouts or SF might very well desire to have an engineer with them to consult for such purposes, but that's not to say there is a significant chance of it happening and, if it did, they'd probably want an officer or at the very least a senior NCO who would then delegate what he/she saw and planned in the form of a mission.

Kat Stevens said:
Mostly they sit in the rear designing ever more cunning ways to get the soft caramel centre into the caramilk bars.
Would this cunning role be combined with a regular recce task, and would they then carry out said "dismounted operation" or would it be left to the Infantry?

If your interested in recce you could always go the Armored Recce route ;D

What They Do
Combat Engineers are members of the Military Engineer branch of the Canadian Forces. Their job is to ensure that friendly troops can live, move and fight on the battlefield, and deny the same abilities to enemy troops. They also perform duties in aid of the civil power and civil authority; participate in peace-support operations; perform construction and maintenance tasks in support of the CF and other government organizations; drive and operate vehicles and equipment in support of Engineer Operations; and maintain field installations and facilities.

Combat Engineers have the following primary duties:
• Construct and maintain roads, airfields, heliports, bridges, causeways, rafts, permanent and temporary buildings;
• Construct field defences and obstacles;
• Provide drinking water by testing, purifying and filtering local supplies and by constructing local distribution systems;
• Detect and dispose of mines, booby traps and bulk explosives;
• Deny mobility to the enemy on the battlefield by demolishing roads and bridges, and laying minefields and booby traps;
• Maintain and operate engineering equipment, including weapons, vehicles, heavy equipment and supplies;
• Provide engineer communications on the battlefield; and
When necessary, fight as infantry (includes use of personal weapons, reconnaissance and section-level tactics).
------------------------------------------

Overview
Not afraid of challenges? As an infantry soldier you are the Army’s primary war-fighters and at the core of the Combat Arms team. You are responsible for closing with and destroying the enemy.

What They Do
Each Infantry Soldier belongs to one of the Infantry regiments of the Canadian Army, some of which bear battle honours more than a century old. As the Army’s primary war-fighters and the core of the Combat Arms team, Infantry Soldiers are responsible for closing with and destroying the enemy. Supported by the Artillery, regiments of Armour and the Combat Engineers, Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment — Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert — and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations.

Infantry Soldiers have the following primary duties:
• Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of personal and section-level weapons, including rifle (with and without bayonet), hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns; and anti-tank weapons;
• Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance;
• Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles and equipment (including clothing, survival gear and personal defensive equipment);
• Participate in airborne operations;
• Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical helicopters (troop-carrying and reconnaissance) and artillery;
• Engage in unarmed combat; and
•Employ fieldcraft and battle procedures including camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics.

Maple1eaf said:
If your interested in recce you could always go the Armored Recce route ;D
We dont have an armored reserve unit here.

Maple1eaf said:
If your interested in recce you could always go the Armoured Recce route ;D

FTFY.

Engineers have their own recce, as does Arty, and Inf as well.  What they recce, why they recce it and who they recce it for are the differences.

Lets not present a myopic view that only D Sqn does the recce task.    ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
FTFY.

Engineers have their own recce, as does Arty, and Inf as well.  What they recce, why they recce it and who they recce it for are the differences.

Lets not present a myopic view that only D Sqn does the recce task.    ;)
If a section of Engineers are given an Infantry tasking to "disrupt enemy operations" whatever the operation may be, would Engineers to Infantry Recce prior to attack if it is them conducting said attack?

Back