• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone else mentioned,  these refugees of the moment are all fine and good.  WFT about our Terps, they contributed to this country already, and we owe them a debt that should be upheld.  That is shameful we're not.

ballz said:
I don't think getting them through screening and through airport security is going to be the biggest hurdle. There is a lot more to it than putting them through a metal detector. The biggest issue is going to be the logistics after they make it through the screening and are living on Canadian soil.
The whole plane could be pre-screened by CBSA prior to departure at origin.

Canada already accepts 200,000 immigrants per year which is 16,667 per month.  An additional 10,000 in one month shouldn't be particularly difficult.  Rent them apartments, open them a bank account, buy them some groceries and introduce them to locals whose Arabic dialect they can understand - end of story.  The only further involvement needed would be giving them a welfare cheque by direct deposit each month for a certain time.

Rocky Mountains said:
Canada already accepts 200,000 immigrants per year which is 16,667 per month.  An additional 10,000 in one month shouldn't be particularly difficult.  Rent them apartments, open them a bank account, buy them some groceries and introduce them to locals whose Arabic dialect they can understand - end of story.  The only further involvement needed would be giving them a welfare cheque by direct deposit each month for a certain time.

I'm going to have to ask where you got those numbers from.  Link please?

And remember - temporary visas for students and tourists are completely different than accepting immigrants to stay permanently in Canada.

Strike said:
I'm going to have to ask where you got those numbers from.  Link please?

And remember - temporary visas for students and tourists are completely different than accepting immigrants to stay permanently in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/index.asp

That is permanent residents only.  So about 250 000 or so for 2014.  They classify temporary residents under other stats specific to that.

Remius said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/index.asp

That is permanent residents only.  So about 250 000 or so for 2014.  They classify temporary residents under other stats specific to that.

I'm pretty sure that's not how many they accept per year.  That's how many are considered permanent residents at any point in time.  My sister-in-law is part of that number and has been since she immigrated to Canada with her family when she was 2 and that was 45 yrs ago.

Strike said:
I'm pretty sure that's not how many they accept per year.  That's how many are considered permanent residents at any point in time.  My sister-in-law is part of that number and has been since she immigrated to Canada with her family when she was 2 and that was 45 yrs ago.

According to the CICReport on Plans and Priorities for 2015/16,
In 2015, we plan to welcome between 260,000 and 285,000 new permanent residents to Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/rpp/2015-2016/index.asp

Strike said:

No.  That's the annual intake.  Read the link. 

Or go to wikipedia if you want it in laymen's terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada#Immigration_rate

dapaterson said:
According to the CICReport on Plans and Priorities for 2015/16,http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/rpp/2015-2016/index.asp

My bad then.

A new permanent resident can be an American with a Canadian spouse receiving that status. Let's compare apples to apples here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/canada.asp

Canada takes 10,000 of the 100,000 resettled refugees every year. The Liberals are taking 2.5 that number in 3 months. Little bit different when you resettle a refugee than when you allow someone from a G8 nation permanent resident status when they immigrate here.

Just by counting the number of mosques and temples that have opened in Mississauga and Brampton I would suggest that a significant portion of those 260,000 have been from places other than Europe and the U.S.  Harper clamped down on immigration fraud but he never touched the numbers: it was mainly bad optics.  The figure of 260,000 was the number that the government and the private sector believed could be absorbed annually.

YZT580 said:
Just by counting the number of mosques and temples that have opened in Mississauga and Brampton I would suggest that a significant portion of those 260,000 have been from places other than Europe and the U.S.  Harper clamped down on immigration fraud but he never touched the numbers: it was mainly bad optics.  The figure of 260,000 was the number that the government and the private sector believed could be absorbed annually.

Well you can see the yearly breakdown up to 2013 here. 

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2013/permanent/10.asp

The trend is likely the same for 2014.

China being number 1.  Followed by India and the the Philippines.

It shouldn't.

China, India and Philippines all share one common attribute: they have, relative to opportunities, a surplus of well educated, sophisticated people for whom good, productive, satisfying jobs are in short supply at home. They actually and actively encourage emigration and they make life easy for the would be emigrant.

With regard to opportunity. I just learned that a young lady who used to work for me, in my civvy 'second career,' returned to China after finishing both her BComm and MBA here in Ottawa. She thought that her skills, knowledge and contacts would stand here in good stead in China ... and so they did, jobs were not hard to find, at all, but the sorts of good, productive jobs with bright future prospects that she wanted were scarce. She returned to Canada, almost certainly to stay, to take up an entry level management position, with good prospects for her future, with a big Canadian bank.

Every theoretical physicist, accountant or engineer that we take from China or India is just one from a battalion of qualified people who are "surplus to requirements opportunity," we act, in a way as a social safety valve for the Chinese and indian governments. But when we take a physicist or accountant from, say Bolivia or Ghana we are taking one from a section, at best, not from a whole battalion. Our immigration policies often rob poor countries of their "best and brightest."

The high-education/skilled folks, I understand - I think I was more surprised to see China (only just) in the top ten countries sending refugees here in 2014, not to mention all those who've come here since 2004 ....
refugees-landed-in-canada-plus-dependants-2004-2013.png

.... and holding the top slot in 2014 (see CIC spreadsheet attached).

The US had 4,451 refugees to Canada in 10 years.  Amazing that a country that is, in my opinion, a lot freer and fairer than Canada would generate any legitimate refugees.

Rocky Mountains said:
The US had 4,451 refugees to Canada in 10 years.  Amazing that a country that is, in my opinion, a lot freer and fairer than Canada would generate any legitimate refugees.
It would be interesting to see how many of those have been deserters from the various ME/SWA wars.  The Info-machine definition is "Refugees are people who have fled their countries because of a well-founded fear of persecution, and who are therefore unable to return home".

In the case of deseters, one man's "persecution" is another's "enforcing the terms of enlistment" - discuss  ;D

>I don't think getting them through screening and through airport security is going to be the biggest hurdle. There is a lot more to it than putting them through a metal detector. The biggest issue is going to be the logistics after they make it through the screening and are living on Canadian soil.

Yes.  Transporting people is not the issue.  Settling them once they arrive is.

That is why - relaxed deadline aside - I still render an overall thumbs-down on the project.  The whole commitment was about bidding for votes and has become an exercise in maintaining the new government's image and sustaining the social posturing of well-meaning people with short attention spans - selfishness on all parts.  Long after the government delivers the last of the 25,000 refugees into someone else's hands and spends its last committed dollar, other people will be dealing with the problem.  To the extent that organizations (and their funds) are occupied with cleaning up the mess created by the Liberals and the people whose interest in refugees was born during the election and will disappear again once the government declares "mission accomplished", more deserving and needy refugees will necessarily have been shunted aside and will have to wait longer.  That is shameful, not praiseworthy.

So I was listening to CBC Friday morning( some parts of N Ont it's all you get) and some minor Liberal functionary was going on about how we sent 500 personal over to screen the new Canadians. One thing he said struck a nerve, upon arrival they get resident status automatically. Doesn't that mean we can't get rid of them if later it's found out that whoops we missed his or her terrorist status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back