• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

System Upgrade: Please Report Problems

Unfortunately, it's just extra load on the server. When it reaches a critical stage, the server shuts down to prevent an overload, and unfortunately we are hitting that critical stage fairly often. I'm trying to find a solution that is a bit more elegant than just throwing more horsepower at the problem. I have blocked a few sites that were pulling down a lot of traffic, and I'll try to monitor things from here.

Today seems to be exceptionally bad for Error Messages about "Server too busy...."

Currently as I type; System Load is High: 29.97

Sadly,

I've been seeing the:
Server too busy, please try again in a few minutes...
screen too often.

My experience has been like playing Russian Roulette...two-thirds of the time, when I
click on a link I get the blue screen of death (server busy).

This has been ongoing for most of the month. I know, it's a busy time of year.

It may be a busy time of year but I strongly doubt that on a Sunday morning at 0700 hrs (Atlantic Time) there are that many real people accessing the site causing it to crash. 

dangerboy said:
It may be a busy time of year but I strongly doubt that on a Sunday morning at 0700 hrs (Atlantic Time) there are that many real people accessing the site causing it to crash. 

Ditto, I was on a few days ago at around 2 a.m EST and was receiving the Server Busy screen.

I was attempting to be respectful, curcumsect and tactful for the volunteer nature of the staff and the dedication of the owner to the site.

kratz said:
I was attempting to be respectful, curcumsect and tactful for the volunteer nature of the staff and the dedication of the owner to the site.

Thank you :salute:

I'm sure Mike is dealing with, it the best way possible, for the membership.

Some things just take time.

The good thing is I'm not spending untold hours reading here  ;)

Just think of it being good for your marriage.

I'm now spending more quality time with my wife.

I was surprised to find out that we have two dogs. :nod:

It is being worked on, a few changes at a time but in the end I think throwing more horsepower at it will be the only proper solution.

SeaKingTacco said:
Mike, what do you need? Is it time for an appeal to the readership?

I echo that request Mike.  We know you do this for your own reasons and appreciate the pleasure it gives us all.  But sometimes shoestrings aren't the answer. Boots are required.

As SKT says, let us know what you need.  And remember to take time for yourself and your family this Christmas.  We're all doing fine out here.

Cheers.

I made a few changes this morning to help shape traffic a little better... So far it looks like an improvement, but time will tell.

Ultimately I would like to get a second front-end server up. That's the server that handles the web requests, and currently the one that's overloading. My goal is to add a second that is on par or even a bit more powerful and then share the load across them both. As we have been seeing performance issues for a while I have already spec'd out what I believe would be a reasonable solution. There are lots of options, but the most cost effective approach is to reserve an m3.xlarge instance for 3 years. The up-front cost for that plan is $1,345 and $43.80 monthly.

Last month's server cost was $264.84 and unfortunately maintaining that has depleted our surplus so we don't have more money to throw at the problem. (Which is why I've been trying to find technical ways to alleviate the pressure a bit.)

The other fly in the ointment is that our current front-end server contract expires on May 3rd coming up (< 5 months away) so we will need a plan to replace/renew that as well.

This is not a pitch to try to get money from folks; there has already been a lot of generosity and I don't want to keep drawing from the same well. I would much prefer to sign some advertisers and fund our projects that way.

Why not canvas the membership for volunteers to pick up the $43.80 monthly on a rotating basis, which leaves the subscription fees for the other stuff.

Popping in $43.80 a month once every year/2nd year is not that onerous a load on any one individual (plus their annual fees) if we get enough volunteers.

:2c:

Merry Christmas Mike!

Knowing some of the stories here makes for an easy choice of security question and answer (recceguy)!!!

I'll encourage others to give what they can, when they can.

:subbies:

Thanks guys, some very generous help right out of the gate! I'll start the gears in motion to line things up for a server upgrade - thanks for all of your support!

Cheers
Mike

Back