• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

System Upgrades- Improvments Over The Years

Ok, the largest part of the upgrade is now complete and things appear to be working. Please be vigilant for any new problems.

Thanks!

I finally got around to adding a new feature to the Military History Calendar. Visitors can now add entries to the calendar. To add an entry, just fill in the form:

http://Army.ca/history/index.php?add=1

This will allow the calendar to continue to grow based on the contributions of visitors here. If you have something you think should be added, please do so.

Cheers

Glad to see a couple new entries already!

Note that entries will be reviewed first, and added within a day or so as long as they‘re appropriate and not duplicates.

The submissions so far have been great!

Today the early warning monitor on this server indicated that a hard drive failure is expected in less than 24 hours.

As a result, we may experience some down time, though I‘m already making plans to ensure it is as short as possible.

Please bear with me, your patience is appreciated.

Cheers

As an update to this, we‘re still working off the original (failing) hard drive. I‘ve purchased new equipment and it should be in place within a week. Let‘s hope the current drive can hold out.

On the upside, the new hardware is a bit faster and the disk has more space (about 150% in all cases) so we should see some improvements once it has been swapped.

This will result in some downtime, but I don‘t expect it will be more than an hour or so.

Cheers

Good news! The new router is now in place, meaning we should see a decrease in the downtime we‘ve been experiencing lately.

At about 1730 last night, the old router died again, and instead of just restarting it, the new router hardware was put in place this morning.

So far so good! The old hardware was crashing every 3-7 days, so this should resolve that. Together with some changes made on the server, we should be pretty stable from now on.

If you notice do any problems, please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

I‘ll order one of your shirts next pay day...

I‘m certainly sucking my my fair share of your bandwidth.

I lost some PMs that I never had a chance to view Mike is this normal?

Hmmm, there was no data loss this time... Can you give me some more info? Did you see the PM‘s in your profile and now they‘re gone?

No I got the email notification that I had them but the site went down before I read them.

Do you still have the e-mails? Try clicking on the links... Like I said, there was no data loss, do the PM‘s should be there... :)

mike;

i‘m still not able to access my albums admin section i can still upload but then i‘m not able to edit them or move them??

Sorry, I‘d forgotten about that one... Can you direct me to the photos, and I‘ll make sure you can move them...

Thanks

I had a look... seems like you own them all already... Is there a specifc pic you can‘t manage?

Cheers

yes; thats right.......

i am not able to access the admin tool bars or anything else. it seems not to recognize me as the owner of the pictures or to allow me to move, edit, delete, nothing! and everytime that come to the home page it says

"* The username you entered is unknown and/or the password is incorrect.

If you haven‘t registered with the site, please click here."

so there seems to be someting wrong with my account?

I don‘t think that error message comes from the album software... ?

If you‘re logged into the forums, you should automatically be logged in to the album:

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=General/Badges

Folks,

For the past month or so, I‘ve been planning a forum upgrade. Some users here have been helping me test out the conversion process and new software, and generally things are going well. As a result, I may do the upgrade this weekend. Some notes:

• All existing posts and members will be converted over. You will be able to log into the new forums using the same username/password you‘ve been using here. Most of your profile information will also be converted.
  • Private Messages will not be converted. If you have important info stored in PMs here, make sure you save a copy before the weekend.
  • The conversion process is pretty lengthy, and will take about 12 hours to complete. I‘ll try to do as much of it overnight as possible. The forums will be closed during this period.
  • If I don‘t do the upgrade this weekend, it‘ll likely be delayed until mid to late June due to scheduling.
  • There may be some minor issues wih the new forum software that we‘ll work out as we go. Your patience and help identifying these will be appreciated.

This is a pretty big change, not just an upgrade but a wholesale move from one software package to another. That means you are going to notice a lot of differences. While you may not like all of them, I think the new software has a lot of useful features. Notably, it should reduce the burden on the server, which will hopefully translate into less downtime.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I know this is short notice, but the sooner get get onto the new software, the sooner we can get on with things. :)

Cheers
Mike

Sounds great, and it won‘t inconvenience me (the universe revolves around me, doesn‘t it???? Though I suspect the infidels who give me low ratings would disagree.... :( ) as I‘ll be in Cape Breton, doing the Cabot Trail Relay. Sounds like a win/win situation for me.

You‘re doing great work Mike!! Keep it up, and I‘m sure everybody here appreciates it.

Al

Software change? Just out of curiousity, are you going from UBB to phpBB?

If thats the case, then its good news. Another forum I frequent did the change some time ago, and it seemed to make everything a little faster and more streamlined. They also used the gzip compression feature (I think thats what it was, I‘m not terribly familiar).

Or my assumption could be completely wrong. In which case, feel free to disregard my post.

Back