• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical combat casualty care ( TCCC )

Are the QS published anywhere on the DIN?
When are the rest of us able to see it and then the logical end point is when can we start actually start training pers to the new standard?

Like all things in the military----This will take some time.  Once the QS is approved it will go to CTC for a TP writing board and them, only to an implemantation phase.......In short, don't hold your breath, unless you can do it for about a year.

That said, there are many references on the DIN to this topic.  And there is nothing stopping you from running this training locally.  It will give troops, specifically predeployment, valuable skillsets.  This, however, will not result in any type of qualification.

I think you are being quite optimistic in saying that it will only be a year until the official TP is out.
Heck, the powers that be can not even decide which course will be our standard of trauma care let alone which TP will be the standard for Combat First Aiders.

I know it is a hard decision to make...being that the US TP has been out for years, it tried and true, battle tested and is founded on hard resarch based practice.

Yet another example of not adopting another nations doctrine because it is not the "Canadian Solution."
In the mean time more and more pers are being trained up with a hodge podge of courses with a wide assortment of skills and knowledge to prepare them for deployment only so that when the official one comes out some time in the next decade, they can say "sorry, all your qualifications don't count" Please take the next two weeks or so to re-do the course to the "Canadian Standard" By the way, here is the US Text, modified US PPT lectures and US stats to back up our decision.

OK, cynical I know, but I have herd it before and am becoming more and more jaded.

Happy new year and may the next one be more prosperous then the last.

GF

OK, cynical I know, but I have herd it before and am becoming more and more jaded.

I think you summed it up......

As a military we all have to push for an "I can attitude"  And I know it's hard but nothing will get down if we're all jaded and cynical.... :D

Okay I'm sure this is going to sound kind of out of the ordinary but here goes. I'm a reserve infantry soldier who has finished BMQ,SQ,DP1,DP2A and this summer (sometime between May - August) I'd like to go away for more courses. However, I'm really interested in taking a medic course, but I don't want to change trades. I just feel that it would be very useful for me, considering infantry is always out in the field, to take a medic course. I have searched the forums and all I could find was one topic mentioning a tactical combat casualty care course, but I don't know if its avaliable to reservists, if its still being run, or any details. If anyone is out there that can tell me about this course or any other course I may be able to take, along with when and where it might be run, I'd greatly appreciate it. If there is such a course, I'd like to submit my memo as soon as possible requesting to be on it but without knowing if there is such a thing I can't really request it.  :P

Thanks  :salute:

You can see if your gaining unit will give you time off to take a local ambulance course.  In Edmonton some of the troops took EMR/EMT a (emergency medical responder/ambulance).  Emr is also advanced first medical responder which is also provided by the military.  If you come to gagetown we running amfr course frequently.  Other units offer a new military accessable course only called TCCC (there is a thread here about that course).  My best advice to you is to go and see your unit ops and trg pers to find out what exactly your unit will provide for you and may even pay for.
Kirsten

The TP board for the TCCC is being sat here in Gagetown in the near future, so it will be an actual course finally.

You'd likely have to put a memo up through your chain after finding out when and where one is being run.  Having said that, email traffic I've read suggests that this course will only be offered as pre-deployment training for units visting far away lands, not to mention the fact that you will have to partake in refresher training about roughly every 90 days and the certification has a 2 year best before date on it before youhave to take it again.

On another note, we used to cross train an awful lot when I was a reservist - perhaps they still do that.  Stuff we have done here in GTown is keep a few non-medical spots on BTLS courses and such, plus there is an active First Responder training cell as well with the Base First Aid Cell.  Check around your area and see what there is.

Hope that helps some.

MM

The TCCC ( Tactical Combat Casualty Care ) course is up and running in Petawawa. Don't think there are any reserve PERS on it though. Again staff it up through your COC.

medic31 said:
The TCCC ( Tactical Combat Casualty Care ) course is up and running in Petawawa. Don't think there are any reserve PERS on it though.

There isn't. The majority are going on tour in Aug.

hello again from an Airforce cousin. After beating up casevac for awhile I have turned my attention to this thread. forgive me if this was prev discusse in the 19 pages of this thread, but I am interested in thoughts on inter ossious fluid replacement. Having recently returned from a SF med conference in the US, it seems that their overworked medics are using inter ossious fluid replacement preferentially to IV in major trauma. makes good sense to me. in my practice, the folks most deseving of fluid are cold and peripherally shut down, and starting a line in a chopper (probably worse in a Bison, I know) is always excellent sport, and worthy of a beer reward for success. Rumour is we are getting fast1 system for interossious fluids, along with a 'new' fluid to supplement saline that will remain within the vasculature better than NS. What is happening in the "real" medic world? BTW, fast1 is a sternal placement.

IO starts are relatively easy to initiate. One of the major drawbacks is post procedure complications such as fat emboli and infection. In the ER where I work we have a pediatric policy that states that you go peripheral for two attempts. If no line is achieved then you go for the IO in the leg just distal to the knee as the preferred site.

I can not see there being any difference or contra indications to having the same policy for pre-hospital Trauma esp with longer evacuation times.

As for the fluid replacement are you talking about pentaspan or pentastarch? These items are great for fluid  recitation when you do not have PRBC available.

Pentaspan is talked about at length in earlier in this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26415/post-126875.html#msg126875.

GF

IO is not in the CF med tech scope of practice. But we are aware and have used them on children while deployed with DART.

Fast1 kit for adults would be what we used if we were allowed to do them on adults, and we do discuss them as part of continual training. If you are being allowed to start sternal IO, then it won't be long before we are too.

As for fluids, we have colliods (penta/hepa/span/starch or combination of the above) avail for overseas, but because of its sensitivity to heat/light and expense are not carried often here at home.

IO and colloids are out of the TCCC arcs here in the CF and better spoken about in other threads.

kj_gully said:
Groovy, thanks for the posts, i will delve deeper....

Why do I feel uncomfortable with someone discussing inter-ossious fluid replacement .....who ends his post with "groovy"?  ;)

Ya ever seen the marks the FAST1 leaves?  It's the sternum that becomes "Groovy"  8)

WRT IO's, the B.I.G. or Bone Injection Gun is the weapon of choice and proved easier to use in tests done by the US.  And the fluid in question is not Hextend (current fluid used by the US) or Pentaspan (only CDN available semi-equivalent), but is in fact HSD or Hypertonic saline Dextran, also known as Rescueflow.  Currently being tested in Canada and the US, the tests are almost complete.  250ml of fluid is approximately equivalent to 500 of Hextend/Pentaspan and about 4000ml of NS or RL in the body over time, which is the importance for delayed and extended CASEVAC times.  Which would you rather carry/jump in? 8L or 500ml of fluid?  As for IO's not have any place in Canadian TCCC, I would have to disagree whole heartedly as R&D continues and the CF evolves on the topic.  The skill is definetely a requirement.

Janes,

Once again you are making allot of grand statements. Is there any research that backs up some of your claims or is this all "personal Experience".
I also notice that despite repeated request you have not filled out your profile.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/html_files/html_view_e.asp?page=vol9-03_16#e1

Here is a link to the Maple Leaf about a Canadian surgeon involved in the HSD research - doesn't look like he was pulling everything out of his backside.

MM

JANES said:
Currently being tested in Canada and the US, the tests are almost complete.  250ml of fluid is approximately equivalent to 500 of Hextend/Pentaspan and about 4000ml of NS or RL in the body over time,

As for IO's not have any place in Canadian TCCC, I would have to disagree whole heartedly as R&D continues and the CF evolves on the topic.  The skill is definitely a requirement.
Good post JANES.

I thought it was a 1-4 ratio, or 250 ml of Hyertonic Saline Dextran = 2000 ml. Either way, carrying 500ml of fluids for trauma beats 2-4 kgs of extra fluids. We medics will still need to carry (or have access to) isotonic solutions, but far less then before.

This solution was first licenced for use in Sweden and now used in many European countries. Its use has definite promise. I am unsure about its environmental hardiness (temperature ranges), but its got to be better then the 15-25 C that Petaspan needs to be kept at.

About IO, new knowledge and technologies are constantly coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 yrs we may be teaching a new IO skill to TCCC students, with Rescueflow the fluid of choice.

Back