• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tamil migrant ship headed for BC (Arrived 13 Aug 2010)

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Note this other thread on another ship seized last year.

Tamil migrant ship heading for B.C.
Last Updated: Friday, July 16, 2010 | 7:01 AM PT
The Canadian Press
The Thai Cargo Ship MV Sun Sea is reportedly headed for the West Coast of Canada with 200 migrants on board. Canada is watching out for a ship reported to be carrying illegal Tamil migrants after a Sri Lankan newspaper warned the vessel could be headed for British Columbia.

The Colombo Sunday Observer reported a Thai Cargo ship — the MV Sun Sea — is sailing for Canada with 200 migrants on board, including members of the Tamil Tigers, the military arm of the Tamil separatist movement.
Foreign affairs spokesman Alain Cacchione said the government is aware of reports suggesting the ship has left South East Asian waters and may be headed for Canada.

The Observer said the ship, previously known as the Harin Panich 19, was originally headed for Australia.

The paper said the vessel was last spotted in May in the Gulf of Thailand where its captain, a Tiger leader named Vinod, warned that several illegal migrants would "throw themselves overboard if anyone tried to board his ship."

Last October, a ship carrying 76 Sri Lankan migrants was intercepted in Canadian waters after crossing the Pacific from Sri Lanka.

The group on board the Ocean Lady claimed to be fleeing persecution after the country's bloody 26-year civil war.

But there are concerns that some of the migrants may have links to the Tamil Tigers, which Canada has banned as a terrorist organization.

The Sri Lankan army crushed the Tamil rebellion last May and the Canadian Tamil Congress said the migrants may have embarked on their risky ocean journey because Tamils are still persecuted and it's nearly impossible for them to come to Canada legally

Read more: CBC link

(Moderator edit to insert date in thread title. - MMO)

Yup, gotta watch how we do this or Sri Lanka will be suing us for millions in about 150 years ::)

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Ship nearing Canada run by Tamil Tigers: expert

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 | 4:40 PM
CTV News

LINK

A terrorism expert says the cargo ship carrying an estimated 200 Sri Lankans toward British Columbia is being managed by the Tamil Tigers, and may be carrying a number of its members.

Canadian and U.S. authorities have been monitoring the Thai cargo ship for weeks. Yesterday, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said he was concerned that the vessel may be transporting members of the Tamil Tigers, which is considered a terrorist organization in Canada.

Rohan Gunaratna, the head of research at the International Centre for Political Violence alegnd Terrorism in Singapore, echoed that view. He said the group has even been known to use ships carrying legitimate Sri Lankan refugee claimants to transport its leaders abroad.

The Tamil Tigers represent the military arm of the Tamil separatist movement in northern Sri Lanka. They lost a long-running civil war last year. And since then, members of the group who ran the Tigers' shipping and procurement network have branched out into human smuggling operations, Gunaratna said.

As evidence, he pointed to the Ocean Lady, a ship that arrived in British Columbia carrying 76 Sri Lankan refugee claimants last October. That vessel had previously been used by the Tamil Tigers to transport weapons from North Korea to Sri Lanka, he said.

In July, a Sri Lankan newspaper reported that a second ship, MV Sun Sea, was travelling to British Columbia carrying 200 migrants, including members of the Tamil Tigers.

But the Canadian Tamil Congress says Ottawa shouldn't prejudge the ship before it arrives.

"We don't condone these ship voyages. It's very risky, it's deadly," said David Poopalapillai, a Canadian Tamil Congress spokesperson. "But we understand, at the same time, why these people are coming. Desperate times push people to desperate measures."

He said the government should avoid "painting everybody with the same brush" using unreliable information from the Sri Lankan government, and should let Canadian law dictate who on the ship will be deemed a refugee.

"If you find any people inadmissible after putting them through due process, then yes, go after them," Poopalapillai said.

Toews said on Monday that Ottawa is committed to protecting genuine refugees, but will foil attempts to abuse the country's immigration policies.

However, Gunaratna said that Canada has become a favourite destination for Tamil Tigers because of Ottawa's "extremely weak" national security laws.

If the federal government allows everyone aboard the MV Sun Sea into Canada, he added, the Tamils may sail more ships loaded with purported refugees towards British Columbia in the months ahead.

With files from The Canadian Press

==============================================================================

B.C. prisons brace for Sri Lankan migrants

10/08/2010 2:47:48 PM
CBC News

LINK

A Lower Mainland municipality is being advised its prisons could be used to house Sri Lankan migrants on a Thai cargo ship believed to be headed to B.C.
On Monday, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said Ottawa is monitoring the MV Sun Sea, but would not provide specifics.

John Leeburn, spokesman for the District of Maple Ridge, said he has been told the people on board will stay at two Maple Ridge facilities - Fraser Regional Correctional Centre and the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women.

Corrections officers and sheriffs at the prisons have been told to be ready for up to 500 Tamil migrants or refugees in the coming days, most of them men.

Leeburn said it's not clear exactly when the ship might arrive.

"What we were told last week was that the RCMP and [Canada] Border Services would be boarding the vessel offshore, either this week or - it's not clear, but they were boarding the vessel kind of mid-week," he said.

"The first port of call is Victoria and then from there we don't know when they'll be arriving in Maple Ridge."

Officials say there is reason to believe members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, known as the Tamil Tigers, are on the ship. The Tamil Tigers have been outlawed in Canada as a terrorist group since 2006.

Leeburn said the two Maple Ridge prison facilities, east of Vancouver, housed 76 Sri Lankan migrants who arrived last fall on another ship.

The ship was intercepted in Canadian waters in October after crossing the Pacific from Sri Lanka. The group on board the Ocean Lady claimed to be fleeing persecution.

But there were concerns some had links to the Tamil Tigers. The 76 Sri Lankan migrants from that ship have since been released and their refugee claims will be processed over the next two years.

With files from The Associated Press

The government, Jason Kenney anyway, has talked about reforming the refugee system but I'm afraid he's only planning to tinker. We need a major reform, which almost certainly will involve using the Constitution's notwithstanding clause, to overturn the infamous Singh case (1985) so that people like these Tamils cannot claim Charter protection. Finally, this ship should be replenished and taken in tow and towed all the way back to Sri Lanka.

But, sadly, I know I'm dreaming on all counts.  :'(

I think that immigration is one of those issues that a majority government is needed to tackle. That, and the issue must be dealt with early in the mandate so that some of the sting has worn off by the next election. Given the current composition of the house, any party that proposed the required reforms would quickly be labeled as xenophobic, and risk invocation of Godwin's law.

It is difficult to watch Canada turn into a safe haven for terrorists from all over the world. I imagine even those ineligible for refugee status will be staying in the Canadian prison system, because I doubt Canada will send people back to their home country if they're going to be prosecuted/killed.

Nauticus said:
It is difficult to watch Canada turn into a safe haven for terrorists from all over the world. I imagine even those ineligible for refugee status will be staying in the Canadian prison system, because I doubt Canada will send people back to their home country if they're going to be prosecuted/killed.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  See:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/67625/post-962145.html#msg962145 

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/child+refugee+faces+deportation+native+Somalia+after+life+crime+Canada/3378151/story.html

Can only shake my head about this...personal view would likely result in an RCMP and CSIS investigation, not to mention a visit from the BCCLU.

MM

BCCLU ?  Blind Children's British Columbia Child Labour Union?  British Columbia Civil Liberties Union ?

CBC link

Tamil migrant ship nears B.C.

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 | 12:41 PM PT
CBC News

The Thai cargo ship MV Sun Sea is expected to arrive on the West Coast of Canada by the end of the week with about 200 migrants on board. (CBC)

Government sources have told CBC News a Thai cargo ship with an estimated 200 Tamil migrants on board is now inside Canada's "exclusive economic zone" off the B.C. coast.

The exclusive economic zone is 200 nautical miles, or about 370 kilometres.

At its present rate of speed, the MV Sun Sea is expected to arrive inside Canadian territorial waters — which extend about 12 nautical miles (or 22 kilometres) off the coast — by late Thursday or early Friday, the CBC's national affairs editor Chris Hall reported.

It is thought to be carrying Tamil migrants from Sri Lanka.

Officials have said there is reason to believe members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, known as the Tamil Tigers, are on the ship. The Tamil Tigers have been outlawed in Canada as a terrorist group since 2006.

There is also an unconfirmed report from intelligence sources that one person has died on the ship.

The migrants will likely be taken to two correctional facilities in Maple Ridge, east of Vancouver. Any children on board will likely be put into the care of B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Government sources say this ship's arrival, along with reports of other vessels ready to get underway, are a signal that Canada is becoming a target for human traffickers, the CBC's Hall reported.

"The Canadian government is most concerned that the ships are inherently unsafe and the people are not treated well on the voyage," he said.

Last October, another ship, the Ocean Lady, was intercepted in Canadian waters off B.C. after crossing the Pacific from Sri Lanka. The group on board claimed to be fleeing persecution.
But there were concerns some had links to the Tamil Tigers. The 76 Sri Lankan migrants from that ship have since been released and their refugee claims will be processed over the next two years.

Sri Lanka has been battered by decades of civil war with ongoing allegations of serious human rights abuses on both sides of the conflict — the Tamil Tigers and the government.

The Tamil Tigers were defeated in May after a violent, 23-year secessionist insurgency.

The Canadian Tamil Congress has said previous migrants likely embarked on the risky ocean journey because Tamils are still persecuted in Sri Lanka and it's nearly impossible for them to come to Canada legally.

Nauticus said:

Its been done on more than one occassion.

At least three people I know of have been deported. One went to Australia, as they wanted him.

One was sent to Sierra Leone, his homeland, the third one to Somalia.

Jim Seggie said:
Its been done on more than one occassion.

At least three people I know of have been deported. One went to Australia, as they wanted him.

One was sent to Sierra Leone, his homeland, the third one to Somalia.

This is my life...I wish it was done more frequent and faster!!

It is getting better, in the past it was impossible to deport anyone to Somalia, but recently it is becoming more common and frequent. The system does need to be overhauled, but it is heading in the right direction.

medicineman said:
Frequently/expeditiously enough though?

MM
Not as much as some of us want, but its better than it was six or seven years ago. Different government, different philosophies.

E.R. Campbell said:
The government, Jason Kenney anyway, has talked about reforming the refugee system but I'm afraid he's only planning to tinker. We need a major reform, which almost certainly will involve using the Constitution's notwithstanding clause, to overturn the infamous Singh case (1985) so that people like these Tamils cannot claim Charter protection. Finally, this ship should be replenished and taken in tow and towed all the way back to Sri Lanka.

But, sadly, I know I'm dreaming on all counts.  :'(

really ? what is wrong with "these" Tamils ?
btw If you are going to pull the whole blocking the highway card thats is not even 1% of Toronto Tamil population.
Tamils are the second largest ethnic group in Toronto after Chinese. but i agree we had problematic past in the 80's but now Tamils are a productive bunch and a contributing force to Canada.
As an immigrant myself I believe everyone deserve a chance to start a new and better life, This country is founded by people seeking better life but if Canada has to do extensive security clearance then be it.

Bravo Juliet said:
really ? what is wrong with "these" Tamils ?

By "these", he means the ones on the very big boat thats on its way here. The ones arriving here illegaly. Some of them are likely members of a terrorist organization ( you know, the LTTE ).

Is that enough "wrong" for you ?

Bravo Juliet said:
As an immigrant myself I believe everyone deserve a chance to start a new and better life, This country is founded by people seeking better life but if Canada has to do extensive security clearance then be it.

There is a legal process for immigration to this country. What these people are doing is disrespecting our laws from day one. Yeah, we take people seeking a better life but do it legaly or go somewhere else.

CDN Aviator said:
By "these", he means the ones on the very big boat thats on its way here. The ones arriving here illegaly. Some of them are likely members of a terrorist organization ( you know, the LTTE ).

Is that enough "wrong" for you ?

There is a legal process for immigration to this country. What these people are doing is disrespecting our laws from day one. Yeah, we take people seeking a better life but do it legaly or go somewhere else.

Yes I know LTTE ::)
btw thanks for speaking for him

Bravo Juliet said:
Tamils are the second largest ethnic group in Toronto after Chinese.

Do you have a source for that?
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/ETO/Table1.cfm?Lang=E&T=501&GV=2&GID=535

Back