• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]

I think the basic idea behind it is fine. The thing that bothers me about it is that - I don't even know how to describe it - but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf...unless there's some kinda underlying significance to it I don't know about. Also I woulda personally preferred just a basic maple leaf like that on the flag. But the conceptual idea is good. Just my two cents, not that it would make a difference since apparently the GG has already approved this. Whaddya'll think?

Cool Breeze said:
- but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf.
It's a flint arrowhead, created by breaking bits off of a piece of flint, hence the jagged form.

Whaddya'll think?
Referring to your signature line....I don't believe you're broken.

Personally, I think it looks a bit "busy". I would have gone with either the sword or the maple leaf, but not both.

Of course, they also didn't ask me.

Cool Breeze said:
I think the basic idea behind it is fine. The thing that bothers me about it is that - I don't even know how to describe it - but that jagged, multi-pointed, "star" thing behind the maple leaf...unless there's some kinda underlying significance to it I don't know about. Also I woulda personally preferred just a basic maple leaf like that on the flag. But the conceptual idea is good. Just my two cents, not that it would make a difference since apparently the GG has already approved this. Whaddya'll think?

gcclarke said:
Personally, I think it looks a bit "busy". I would have gone with either the sword or the maple leaf, but not both.

Of course, they also didn't ask me.

Guys

If you read up on your history and then commented, it would make a little more sense.

Big Silverback said:
Its very reminiscent of the First Special Service Force patch.

Of course it does.  These units are perpetuating the FSSF and the SSF.  If you look at 2 CMBG's patch, you will see that they perpetuate the SSF as well as their local history with the arrowhead and the Black Bear which has some connection to the famous bear of WW I, Winnie, who was purchased in that area of Ontario. 

If you comment; research your comments and they will be more valid.

I think it looks fine and I expect all those that earn it, will wear it with pride. Hard work deserves recognition.

I bet the badge lands on ebay and gets bought up by airsofters before the first csor guy gets one sewn on  ;D

Flawed Design said:
I bet the badge lands on ebay and gets bought up by airsofters before the first csor guy gets one sewn on  ;D

I've got contact e-mails to at least a dozen badge manufacturers in Pakistan in my e-mail trash folder.  I can send that image away and have embroidered samples ready to sell in two weeks.    >:D

It's a metal pin; it'll take extra week for the knock-offs to arrive  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn-Sykes_Fighting_Knife

Other knives by Fairbairn

General Robert T. Frederick of the First Special Service Force is credited with a similar weapon, the V-42 combat knife, itself a derivation of the F-S design. The V-42 was manufactured by W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. during this period and is distinguished mainly by its markings and the presence of a small, scored indentation for the wielder's thumb, to aid in orienting the knife for thrusting. Fairbairn was also credited with design of the smatchet.

Shall we next argue about which maple tree the leaf came from?

This from the public purchasing web page posted 2 Oct 2017:
... REQUIREMENT:

To establish the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) as a unique service, Canada requires a Distinctive Service Uniform for the Special Operations Forces to be supplied in accordance with DND specifications.

The Special Operations Forces Distinctive Service Uniform (SDSU) will be be used for daily dress, training and deployed operations that is distinct from the other services.  The SDSU consists of a coat and trousers that will be manufactured in accordance with the DND provided manufacturing data and patterns.  The uniform has the same design as the CAF Enhanced Combat Uniform, but will be available in two different materials, both with a MULTICAM® camouflage pattern printed outer finish ...
More details in the Statement of Work (44 pg PDF) here - some diagrams from the bid package attached.

Attachments

• jacket-sof-dsu.jpg
    jacket-sof-dsu.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 382
  • pants-sof-dsu.jpg
    pants-sof-dsu.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 348
This from the public tender site ...
The Departement of National Defence, Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) has a requirement for the provision of the Tactical Helicopter Crew Flight Suit Flame Resistant (FR) in accordance with DND specifications detailed in the RFP

The  requirement is for a flame-resistant two-piece flight suit to support training and operations where standard Canadian Armed Forces clothing is unsuitable.  The flight suit will be constructed from a flame-resistant material printed with the MULTICAM® camouflage pattern and will consist of one pair of trousers and one shirt ...
More here (links to posting) and here (49 pg PDF Statement of Work) -- some diagrams attached.

Attachments

• SHIRT-SOFCOM-FL-SUITS.jpg
    SHIRT-SOFCOM-FL-SUITS.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 295
  • PANTS-SOFCOM-FL-SUITS.jpg
    PANTS-SOFCOM-FL-SUITS.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 281
milnews.ca said:
To establish the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) as a unique service ...
They are going to have to do more than wear foreign looking colours if that is the goal, given that a certain law states the CF consists “of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.”

MCG said:
They are going to have to do more than wear foreign looking colours if that is the goal, given that a certain law states the CF consists “of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.”
If we're going to pick apart semantics, they're wearing a different uniform pattern not trying to wear flags as an outer garment.

Back