• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoo Question: Gun or Soldier?

My son started the "can I get a tattoo?" at 16 - answer was no, I was in charge of his skin till he turned 18, then I told him he could do what he wanted. An artist friend of the family attacked his goatee when The Kid mentioned it to him, and in his slow way of talking told him, "yes, you could get a tattoo but Eat s**t and die on your back looks pretty tacky on the beach with your kids when you're 40". At 18 The Kid did get a tattoo - his Clan crest (Cameron) on his shoulder. Its beautiful, tasteful, and it means the world to him. Lesson - as these people have said, hold off, and wait till you can get the right tattoo for you.

:cdn:
Hawk

My daughter just told me she is saving up for hers.  She will be 20 in March.  She's getting three small maple leafs on her shoulder, in her words, "Dad, I'm not likely to outgrow something so Canadian."

RFHC Piper said it best...

I joined at 17, got my first tattoo at 21/22... its a small canadian flag on the shoulder. I just got another one when I got back. a Yin Yang on my back. both are good neutral tattoos without anything too weird... I look at it and think... "how is this going to look when im 35... 45.. 55.. etc.."  So far I have no tats that ID me as a service member. Though like RHFC Piper, I am looking into some sort of a memorial Tattoo as the next one. but until i figure out exactly what design i like, im holding off.

If you get a Tattoo, It should be something that reflects the nature of the tattoo.. ie PERMANENT. something that isnt likely to change anytime soon.. ie canadian flag (i'll be a canadian until I die...)

anyways, before i ramble further, just give it ALOT of thought.  there is no rush to get ink on your body.

Cheers
  Tommy

Also, yes, the soldier is the Primary weapon as stated above.

Why don't you buy a T-shirt!  It will even give you something too look forward too on laundry day.

Chad_Sexington said:
Why don't you buy a T-shirt!  It will even give you something too look forward too on laundry day.

Aside from RHFC_Piper's elucidation - this may be the most sensible post on the entire thread.

ac12 said:
Well i'll be 18 in a couple days...
and I've been begging my parents since I was 16, and they finally gave in.

They dont wash off mate. I have 3 BTW.

With a tatt like you are saying, in a few years, you'll laugh at yourself and say WTF did I get this one for.

Wait a bit, think and get something done which is not so stupid as the one you've ben begging for.

Chad_Sexington said:

Roy Harding said:
Aside from RHFC_Piper's elucidation - this may be the most sensible post on the entire thread.

I'm inclined to agree.  Save tattoo's for the things that mean the most to you and that you have no question about getting.

Just build a collection of Bad-a$$ army shirts that you know none of your civi friends will ever have, and that, in 20 years, you can wear in front of all the new troops who will then know where you've been and what you've done, and you won't have to roll up a sleeve.

Then you can say; been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

And if you get sick of it, or it no longer represents who you are, you can use it to polish boots... can't do that with a tattoo.

LOL... So some of my buddies went to Vegas, and a number of them got the bright, drunken idea to get the roman numeral VI tatooed on themselves- representing the sixth commandment, thou shalt not kill. I suppose in a drunken irony way it makes some sense.

So they get back. One of my buddies asks which denomination each of them is, and to a couple of them says, "So, you guys know that in your denomination the sixth is actually "Thou shalt not commit adultery", right?"

I found it pretty good for a laugh.

That is funny, Brihard!

I don't approve of tattoo parlors that let drunk people get tattoos.  I got both of mine at The Wizzard's Den in Petawawa.  They will not do your tattoo (booked appointments only) if you have been drinking.  Very reputable spot!

daftandbarmy said:
Well, it's a soldier with a rifle (bayonet fixed) of course.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.
Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.
Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Oh, and if you think you might want to try for SF/SOF or another 'prone to capture' or sneaky-peeky type job in the future, avoid tattoos at all costs.

Myth8 -You cannot have any tattoos to be eligible for service with JTF 2.

A8 -Tattoos or other physical identifiers do not have any bearing on a Canadian Forces member’s eligibility for service with JTF 2. A prospective candidate who successfully completes the JTF 2 selection process and is deemed eligible for service may be given an opportunity to serve with the unit.

http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/en/myths_e.asp
I would imagine if tattoo's are A-OK with the JTF2, CSOR would accept it also.

PMedMoe said:
That is funny, Brihard!

I don't approve of tattoo parlors that let drunk people get tattoos.  I got both of mine at The Wizzard's Den in Petawawa.  They will not do your tattoo (booked appointments only) if you have been drinking.  Very reputable spot!

PMedMoe, I agree the Wizzardsden is extremely reputable, professional and they are educated in their craft. 

emmiee

I thought long and hard before i got mine . Like 3 yrs worth , now i have  2 and will eventully get another few. one that i have is the scottish thistle. the  next is the german eagle. and the final is a LEST WE FORGET.. then the ink is done.. BUT THINK way hard before  before you do  it though ..

:salute:

ButtA said:
http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/en/myths_e.asp
I would imagine if tattoo's are A-OK with the JTF2, CSOR would accept it also.

We're probably way off topic here, but although I agree that it's definately not ILLEGAL, I would suggest that it's INADVISABLE to have a tattoo if you're likely to be part of a 'behind the lines' kind of unit. During the interrogation phase of any E&E ex you tend to look pretty foolish facing the interrogator with regimental tatooes all over your arms (What Regiment are you from? Oh, - looks at forearm - 3 PARA Mortars. Don't bother answering that question. You ARE an effing idiot, aren't you? Don't you know you're not supposed to tell me your regiment? Nods...). It's an easy way to make strong men weep. Of course, the real thing is apparently much harder to bear psychologically. And don't get me started about all the stuff we give away on our ID cards... sigh.

Also, if you wind up doing anything in civvies, the huge "Death Before Dishonour" with palm-sized grinning skull and crossed C7s showing through your white long sleeved shirt is a pretty good sign that you're not the milkman.

I got a face of a bear on my shoulder when I was 18. I gonna get one my other shoulder with the unit/position after I finish my contract.
Go for something that will remind you something positive and motivate you, after all its gonna be there you're whole life.

No I am motivated to be as fearce as a bear, I constantly reminded that deep inside I am a bear, an angry bear, that I should never stop ti'll I fill my hunger. But also that it takes time and sweat to get
my self full. Although I love to sleep bears are also one of the most powerfull predetors on earth, and only the bears living around human settelments eat garbage. And like a bear I started "eating garbage"= got depressed so now I am relocating myself to a different environment, the Army, where I'll fit in batter.  

But that's a good point when u get a tatoo think of all the meanings the item will have, especially of the bad meanings and make sure you're ok with them all.

P.S.
I am a ukranian and the bear is an east european symbol

P.P..S.
have a attached a photo of my tatoo

If you want to join an army AND eat garbage, I recommend the British army  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
If you want to join an army AND eat garbage, I recommend the British army  ;D

Maybe he should try Mortar Pl 3 Para 8)

Back