• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]

Many former airborne/para officers have jump wing tats on their hands or words tattooed across their knuckles.  

The SSM folks (Honest John missiles) had blue star tats on their earlobes, really cool when they were a SSM Ptes and a constant visible reminder of the past when they became a C/M/WO A/IGs.

I know of at least one LCol in Ottawa who has a panther on his shoulder/neck and the tail is clearly visible below his ear in all forms of dress. His entire upper and lower body resembles a canvas painting of knights, castles and damsels in distress.

I saw a Sig O on BTE with the VP - his arms, back and neck resembled a bright rainbow of of psychedelic colours.

The latest tats for female soldiers seems to be middle of the neck just below hair bun - it can be hidden with pony tail but quite visible in DEU 3+.

The rules and tolerance are no different regardless of rank.   But what's a CO gonna do when the tats already on the person (the ink has dried so to speak).   In the case of the LCol avec visible tail, what can he say to his subordinates about the policy when his visibly violates the spirit of the dress regulations.

It could be, that in some cases (granted not all cases), that the officer or NCM in question had the visible tattoo before joining. That is the case of several officers I know. My hubby has tattoos, had them before he joined...it is just coincidence (and personal preference) that they are not visible and, therefore, follow the regs. This may be more prevelant with the increase in people joining at older ages.

just my $.02

edited for spelling

MED_BCMC said:
I've done a search already, and didnt find the answer I was looking for so... If I missed it, please direct me to where it would be.

I've heard rumors and that regarding Officers and having visible tattoos. Is there a policy specific for officers having visible tattoos?
This is under th old Q @ R.O.'s if you got at a tattoo and it got infected,it was a self inflected wound and you could be charged for it,same as getting the dose.Oops I for got we are kinder caring Military now,no one gets a case of the dose any more.

It used to be a policy (perhaps an unwritten policy) that "officers did not have tattoos".  Times and demographics have changed.  It still boils down to old stereotypes and appearances of professionalism.  Do you have more respect for someone of authority who may be tattooless or do you have more respect for a guy covered in tattoos looking like a "bad @ss Biker"?  What image does that project to others?  Is it an image we want to project, especially overseas?  Just because a person is comfortable with their own tattoos, doesn't mean that others are.

2332Piper said:
Hate to sound like the sudo-newbie I am but does this apply as well to hand tattoos? I have seen a large numbers of NCM's walking around with tattoos on their hands and I have a specific one in mind I wanted to get. However, I have been told a number of different stories, most of which say officers follow the tattoo regs but cannot under any circumstances have hand tattoos (I believe it is against the tattoo regs period but I still see numerous NCM's with them).
your body, your money. You want ink? Get ink. As for respect from the troops, as one of them - couldn't care less. And as for stereotyping and such from others, even overseas, it don't happen much any more. Tattoos are mainstream, now.
Now, as for what happens in the Officer's mess, and how such tats are discussed over tea and scones, or on the crickett field, I dunno.

2332Piper said:
So it IS against the regs but people flaunt them anyways?
I wouldn't say "flaunt". Most of those with ink on their hands, neck, etc, got them before the Reg came into effect/was enforced. I've seen troops face administrative action for doing it now.
You want the ink that bad, go ahead. But, you called the tune. Pony up when the piper demands his fee.
(See what I did there? Clever, no?)

As well, you may want to consider the fact that on previous medicals, you said "NO" to tatoos, and now you have one on your hand.  If somebody does decide to make an issue out of it, it can be shown that you violated a policy while as a member of the CF.  Get a backpiece or a half-sleeve or somthing....

2332Piper said:
Wait, so I can't get a tattoo period now because when I joined I simply told the med staff that I didn't have any on me at the time? I'm lost.

No, you can get a tattoo, it is just that it will be documented on your next medical.  Tattoo's aren't a problem per se, but if you get one that violates the current CF policy on visible tattoos, your med file can prove that you got it after getting in the Forces and can be evidence that you willingly disobeyed an order.

There was a message cut last year (I believe it was a CANFORGEN) announcing that eff 01 Apr 2004 Officers and members of the CF could no longer obtain tattoos on their hands or on the back of the neck. I'll pull up the message at work tomorrow to get the DTG off it. That being said, I have a number of tattoos...don't recall being asked at my last medical whether or not I had got any more and don't recall that being a question on the sheet that we have to fill out when reporting for the medical. Perhaps a Medic out there could advise as to whether or not that's part of our medical questionnaire.

With all that....Have you had a medical since 01 Apr 04???  ???

Nope...not important...just that...

Well if it is on the medical questionnaire and he hasn't had a medical since 01 Apr 04....then what does reporting a tattoo say...next month during a medical prove?

2332piper,

One of my tattoos is on my tummy and after a pregnancy it still looks mighty fine so I don't think you need to worry about growing your arms first!!! They aren't gonna get any bigger than my tummy did I guarantee you!!! And if they do....please do us gals a favour and post a pic in the "Chicks did a guy in Uniform thread!!"

George Wallace said:
I guess, along with Scars and such, it would be listed as "Identifying Marks".
only if you volunteer it, from my experiences. Nobody has ever written down any of my scars, tats, or other deformities without asking me what I have.

Agreed...I don't recall it being on the medical questionnaire.... the only times I've ever been asked was when I've renewed the old ID card..."Any visible tattoos or identifying marks?" At my last girlie checkup the MO said something like "$%$@# nice tat on your back" but didn't write it down anywhere or check my questionnaire out. I think only my visible tattoos are recorded and them only on my ID card.

The only tatts medical folk are concerned about come from recent tours in countries which have a high risk of Hep or HIV.   Always get tats when you are sober and only if the artist answers all of your relevant safety-conscious questions.   Finally remember to look both ways before you cross the street.

WHATEVER you do, don't get a tattoo in Croatia because you're knee-deep in Pivo, and the counter-chick has a huge rack.  ::)
Thankfully, the shop had been inspected by medics from the US Navy a week prior. As I the story-teller discovered half-way through the process.

i would like to know about the regulations regarding tattoos in the CF.

i have herd of stories where guys were forced to cover them up because of "Offecnive Images" (usually nude-ish women) and i now some who have no problem at all.

i would like to know if this is more of a BMQ issue then later on.

i have "Canada" in old style writing on my right wrist and a skull on my left shoulder.

i cant see allot of issues arising form these, and if there are i guess theres not allot i can do about it except cover them up and have a F* ed tan at the end of basic.

i did a search, no tats above the neck line or on your hands wile your in. if i get something before I'm sworn in, I'm cool? would a pin-up of an angel on a forearm be "Offencive"?

There has been a gazillion threads on tattoos, and the regulations pertaining to them. Please do a search, and I'm sure you'll find the answers you are looking for.

Good luck.

I have multiple tattoos and peircings and i know that i have to take the percings out while im in uniform.... but how about when im not can i put them back in ? and as for the tattoos, are new ones strongly discouraged?

Back