• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Temporary Duty ( TD ) merged

TD = Temporary Duty.  Duty that takes you temporarily away from your usual place of duty.

Regarding TD, just for backgrd, perhaps its worth explaining:

a. being "on TD" invokes a specific regime of allowances:
(1) rations and quarters are covered for pers on TD -- either on base or, if that is not practicable, then by reimbursement for commercial accomodation and meals, up to specified rates, supported by receipts.
(2) travel expenses will also be covered, once again in accordance with set rules, typically your admin pers will book the travel.
(3) there is also a small daily allowance for misc expenses.

b. because of the cost of all this,TD is controlled:
(1) you must be officially ordered onto TD -- your own unit can do this if it is sending you somewhere, but it must be formal and in writing.  Since you are going on a crse, the formal authority is that msg.
(2) the piece of paperwork that documents this official status of being on TD is your TD claim, with a signed section 32.  You should have this with you whenever on TD.

c. Note that TD is not the only means by which you can be sent physically away somewhere for duty.  Other options are, for example, attached posting, field or operational deployment.  TD is a specific administrative means of sending you away that means certain specific procedure and allowances.

Perhaps others who specialize in admin matters can clarify further or correct any inaccuracies...

If the Op or anyone interested, reads CFTDI and the NJC Travel Directives, you will know almost as much as the clerks know, as these are the references we follow for most TD questions.

Thank you for the responses. The NJC link was quite useful.  With some outside research I found out that LRTD is  the Leadership Recruit Training Division. If there is anyone else who has done both BMOQ and MARS II at Venture, would you be able to tell me what it entails when you are 'taken on by' them during the almost 10 day gap between courses?

Has anyone had any success getting a business/first class airfare for TD based on the following? (Specifically an international flight with multiple flight segments adding up to over 9 hours.

8.30 — AIR TRAVEL
(1) (Senior Officers) Subject to paragraph 8.20(2) (Selection), a member is:

(a) in respect of a senior officer who is ordered by an approving authority to travel in economy class, entitled both to travel and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that economy class travel; and

(b) in any other case, entitled both to travel and to be reimbursed in accordance with Treasury Board Special Travel Authorities, as amended from time to time.

(2) (Members) Subject to paragraph 8.20(2) (Selection), a member — who is not a senior officer — is:

(a) in respect of a flight or series of flights in which the total travelling time — from takeoff at the first airport to landing at the last airport — is nine or more hours without an overnight stay during those hours, entitled both to travel in business class and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that travel; and

(b) in any other case, entitled both to travel in economy class and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that travel.

Read 8.31 as well:

(3) (Business Class Travel — Other Members) An approving authority determines
whether a member — who is not a senior officer — travels in business class non-stop
under paragraph 8.30(2)(a) or travels in economy class with one or more overnight stays
under paragraph 8.30(2)(b).

Given the cost differential, for a trip to Australia (for example) you're more likely to get an overnight each way in Hawaii than to fly in business class.

eliminator said:
Has anyone had any success getting a business/first class airfare for TD based on the following? (Specifically an international flight with multiple flight segments adding up to over 9 hours.

8.30 — AIR TRAVEL
(1) (Senior Officers) Subject to paragraph 8.20(2) (Selection), a member is:

(a) in respect of a senior officer who is ordered by an approving authority to travel in economy class, entitled both to travel and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that economy class travel; and

(b) in any other case, entitled both to travel and to be reimbursed in accordance with Treasury Board Special Travel Authorities, as amended from time to time.

(2) (Members) Subject to paragraph 8.20(2) (Selection), a member — who is not a senior officer — is:

(a) in respect of a flight or series of flights in which the total travelling time — from takeoff at the first airport to landing at the last airport — is nine or more hours without an overnight stay during those hours, entitled both to travel in business class and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that travel; and

(b) in any other case, entitled both to travel in economy class and to be reimbursed for actual and reasonable expenses for that travel.

I've been able to fly business class on all virtually all of my civilian overseas flights.  Specifically Toronto to Spain, Greece (Crete actually), Poland, New Delhi, Amsterdam and a few others.  Although we had a nights stop over on the trip to India the flight times for each leg were well over the 9 hour limit.  Its always been because of the flight/travel time and because my "cost center manager" OK'd the expence. 

The best time I ever had was one long flight to India where me and one other from my Unit flew business class while an officer from another Unit travelling with us was only authorized "cattle class" by his unit.  He really didnt like the thought of two MCpl's in business class without him. 

Schindler's Lift said:
Its always been because of the flight/travel time and because my "cost center manager" OK'd the expence. 

And that's sometimes the deciding factor.  If money is tight and going business class vice economy means the difference between going and not, then you're going to end up going economy.  Happened to me (the flight was about 45 minutes over the line that qualified me for business) but the difference in prices would have affected future TD opportunities for that year.

For those who travel a lot, I know many that will opt for economy class and, because they have so many points in whatever loyalty program, "pay" for the upgrade with their points or voucher on those extra long trips.

Thanks for the replies. Normally I don't bother pursuing these things, but my return travel works out to be about 26 hours since there is a stopover of over 8 hours right in the middle. (My flight to my TD is only about 12 hours since the flights line up nicely)

My orderly room is giving me a hard time with me requesting another look at the 26 hour air travel option. There are plenty of other much shorter flight options but they cost more. Got the old "most economical" means argument. (Despite duration and convenience also being stated selection criteria)

I even suggested a hotel option for the nasty stopover and they said "not entitled."

Now I will have to attack from the business/first class argument perspective.

eliminator said:
Thanks for the replies. Normally I don't bother pursuing these things, but my return travel works out to be about 26 hours since there is a stopover of over 8 hours right in the middle. (My flight to my TD is only about 12 hours since the flights line up nicely)

My orderly room is giving me a hard time with me requesting another look at the 26 hour air travel option. There are plenty of other much shorter flight options but they cost more. Got the old "most economical" means argument. (Despite duration and convenience also being stated selection criteria)

I even suggested a hotel option for the nasty stopover and they said "not entitled."

A 26 hour trip may be more "economical" but it sure isn't "practical".    :facepalm:

dapaterson said:
...... for a trip to Australia (for example) you're more likely to get an overnight each way in Hawaii than to fly in business class.
....or San Francisco, Fiji, or Kiwi-land...both ways    8)

eliminator said:

I think you will find that with a stop over that long you are entitled to a room.  They cant expect you to travel over all that time without an opportunity to sleep in an actual bed.  I dont have references at home but there must be something in the TDIs somewhere.

I booked just such a trip recently for someone (not a Snr Offr) but the cost to upgrade to "Business Class" was far more than implementing a "layover" enroute.  My normal mode of ops, is to get the person from point A to point B as fast as possible, with economy in mind of course.

If you are travelling on "TD" and the travel time exceeds the "9" hours quoted in the CFTDTI's (and repeated in the NJC Directives), then you are entitled to, as a minimum, the overnight stop enroute.  Upgrading to Business Class is at the discretion of the RC Manager but 90% of the time, a layover is much much cheaper.

Keep in mind, this is ONLY applicable to TD and DOES NOT apply to CF Relocations.

I'm certainly not gunning for a first class ticket as I appreciated the significant added costs. However, looks like a request for a hotel room during my 8+ hour stopover has gone up for approval today.

What irks me about the whole situation is that there are multiple options to get me home in the 12-14 hour timeframe vice 26 but they cost a few hundred dollars more.

Now with a hotel room and transport to and from the hotel room, most of the "savings" will now be lost had they just booked me on my desired flights in the first place.

/rant

eliminator said:
I'm certainly not gunning for a first class ticket as I appreciated the significant added costs. However, looks like a request for a hotel room during my 8+ hour stopover has gone up for approval today.

What irks me about the whole situation is that there are multiple options to get me home in the 12-14 hour timeframe vice 26 but they cost a few hundred dollars more.

Now with a hotel room and transport to and from the hotel room, most of the "savings" will now be lost had they just booked me on my desired flights in the first place.

/rant

Yup.  And the room, is for "overnight" and not just inbetween flights.  It's plane lands, you go to Hotel and spend the night and then wake up and continue flying the next day.

If there are flight available, with "shorter" travel times that may still exceed the "9" hours, you just need to "waive/accept" that option.  Provided the cost is not "exorbant" and equivalent to or less than the overnighter, then there really shouldn't be a problem.

I won't touch on the reason you are experiencing this.....

eliminator said:

/rant

Reminds me of a situation that happened to me last month.  Sailed into San Diego and went to the airport with the group on the way back to HFX, flight was cancelled and the travel service booked us automatically for a flight 3 days later. As we wanted to get back to HFX as soon as possible to meet another sailing commitment 3 days later we rented a van to get us to LAX to catch another flight. Ended up getting some grief about the rental, but compared to 4 hotel rooms for 3 days they accepted it. Funny how the military thinks eh. ;)

eliminator said:

/rant :mad:

Sadly,  if one were to take the cost of the quicker but slightly more expensive trip and compare it to the cost of the cheaper flight PLUS stopover/hotel costs AND the "man hours" dicking around....its more cost effective to send you on the shorter travel itinerary.

Schindler's Lift said:
Sadly,  if one were to take the cost of the quicker but slightly more expensive trip and compare it to the cost of the cheaper flight PLUS stopover/hotel costs AND the "man hours" dicking around....its more cost effective to send you on the shorter travel itinerary.

When I was traveling a lot it would be a total kick I'm the pants, on the body and be more draining than working a double shift.

WPJ said:
When I was traveling a lot it would be a total kick I'm the pants, on the body and be more draining than working a double shift.

Well thats another reason my office tends to approve business class for those long haul flights.  That way we can get there quicker and hit the ground running as soon as you land.

DAA said:
If you are travelling on "TD" and the travel time exceeds the "9" hours quoted in the CFTDTI's (and repeated in the NJC Directives), then you are entitled to, as a minimum, the overnight stop enroute.  Upgrading to Business Class is at the discretion of the RC Manager but 90% of the time, a layover is much much cheaper.

Keep in mind, this is ONLY applicable to TD and DOES NOT apply to CF Relocations.

Just wondering, my unit is under the impression it is a "should" not an "entitlement" regarding the overnight stop.  Can you send me the reference?

Back