• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thanks Canadian EME

• Thread starter Big Bad John
  • Start date
B

Big Bad John

I was talking with a friend who just got back from his second tour, OP Telic, with 40 Cdo, RM.  When he found out about my emigrating to Canada, he went on and on about this Canadian Officer attached to 2BN REME during the initial phases of Op Telic.  It seems that he "solved" some problems with equipment that went tits up.  So where ever you are Captain Belanger, Thank you for expediting the process!

"Solving problems" to equipment that went tits up reminds me of an experience from Germany. It was a rare cold day on exercise somewhere in the East part of former West-Germany. (near the Chech border) We shared a rest point or leager (sp) with an American Recce element using APC's. Problem was about 80% of the compartment heaters weren't working on their APC's. After a brief powwow with the Sergeant major, our Vehicle Techs spent a few hours fixing as many heaters as possible with whatever parts we could scrounge up. That night we shared some cold ones and some laughs, and the next day we went our seperate ways...it was a neat experience.  :salute: 

gnplummer421

That story just reminded me of the time of Fall Ex that we had a Troop of Scouts attached to Recce Sqn.  A great bunch of guys, but all they ever wanted to do was fire their ATVs at the first enemy they saw.  Our RCEME, guys did a lot of work on their M113's while they were attached to us, and they returned to their Unit in much better shape than when they had joined us. 

Gw

That was not between 87-91 by any chance was it? with the 8th Canadian Hussars? Just wondering if we were there at the same time...I was C sqn wpn tech for the whole 4 years, but I can recall Recce sqn having an American troop attached...were they the Vulcan carriers?

Bob 

Would have been in '82.  They had the ITV (Pop up TOW) mounts on their M113's.

GW

Man, these stories bring back such great memories...in hindsight I think my tour in Germany was probably the best four years of my life..miss it like crazy...

Been trying to get back ever since....

Even though Lahr has taken quite a down turn since the Canadians left.  Many of the locals really miss the Canadians.  Get back ever year or so and love it.

GW

Wow, I sure would like to go back and visit. My daughter was born in the Lahr hospital and we are going to go there on her sixteenth birhtday, which is two years away. She has heard so many stories and is looking forward to going. In addition, I also wanted to walk in the Nymegen march in Holland..I'll be reminiscing all night now...shift just started...not over till 7 am  :boring:

Back